Question About Contrast Baths

TealGunner

I have tried contrast baths a couple of times and they seem to work. Here's my question.

What kind of time do I need to keep my hands in the water and should I be opening and closing my hands actively throughout or hold them still?

Are we talking like 30 seconds per temp and then switch or what? I just need some idea so I can figure it into my schedule.

Thanks

What kind of time do I need to keep my hands in the water

about 3 to 5 minutes in the hot, then 3-5 minutes in the cold, etc, etc, etc.

should I be opening and closing my hands actively throughout or hold them still?

yes or yes .... that is up to you.

One Technique:

Find 2 wash buckets/basins that can easily accommodate your painful body part.

Fill one basin with very hot water - as hot as you can comfortably tolerate (do not scald)

Fill the second with ice cold water - as cold as you can tolerate (ice cubes may be necessary)

Immerse your sore body part into the hot basin for 1-2 minutes

Immediately transfer into the cold basin and immerse for 30 seconds.

Repeat dipping for 5-10 transfers.

End your bath in the cold basin.

Perform this procedure one to two-four times per day.

The contrast of hot-cold creates a pumping of the blood in and out of the body part. The blood vessels dilate in the heat and constrict in the cold. Any stagnating swelling is reduced as it is pumped out of the body part. Inflammation is reduced as fresh blood and healing agents are pumped into the injured area. Pain is also reduced, as both hot and cold have anesthetic effects. Contrast baths are effective in helping carpal tunnel syndromes and hand / forearm tendinitis

READ: DON"T LOSE YOUR MARBLES post I wrote for an active bath option.

Since the whole purpose of the cold water bath is to have vasoconstriction, I would recommend not opening and closing your hand in it. Opening and closing it will promote blood flow and vasodialation, not what you want. Also, during the hot water bath you want to promote blood flow and vasodialation, so opening and closing the hands would be good during this part.

On the cold just let them get as cold as possible..as you can stand it.

On the hot I use the faucet running as hot as possible. I run the water all the way up to my elbow going back and forth slowly heating the entire lower arm..but moving to the hands. I do every stretch I know.

I stretch the fingers as far sideways as possible..like webbing the individual fingers. I do waves with the fingers. I pull them back as far as comfortably possible. I push them forward as far as possible. I flex my wrists in circles. After all that I just run the water as hot as I can stand it for as long as I can. This is the one I use just before a workout to really loosen up the hands and lower arms.

On the cold just let them get as cold as possible..as you can stand it.

On the hot I use the faucet running as hot as possible. I run the water all the way up to my elbow going back and forth slowly heating the entire lower arm..but moving to the hands. I do every stretch I know.

I stretch the fingers as far sideways as possible..like webbing the individual fingers. I do waves with the fingers. I pull them back as far as comfortably possible. I push them forward as far as possible. I flex my wrists in circles. After all that I just run the water as hot as I can stand it for as long as I can. This is the one I use just before a workout to really loosen up the hands and lower arms.

I used to do the baths before gripper workouts, but I found that the water softened my skin during the workouts and I got skin in the knurling of the handles. Now I will do them after the workouts only. For warmups all I need is some light gripper singles and some finger and wrist stretching and I'm ready for battle.

Since the whole purpose of the cold water bath is to have vasoconstriction, I would recommend not opening and closing your hand in it.  Opening and closing it will promote blood flow and vasodialation, not what you want.  Also, during the hot water bath you want to promote blood flow and vasodialation, so opening and closing the hands would be good during this part.

Well, that's not how I understood it so I am glad that you posted this bit of info. This will aid few of us, I'd wager.

Thanks rjkd12! :D

Thanks for the help guys. Your advice all makes sense and I will do my best to apply it. Hopefully this will help with recovery as I can't help but grip whatever I see. It's an addiction.