Mike "the Destroyer" Roy's New Grip Contest

Clay Edgin

Tearing tennisballs in the first event... Anyone here on the board, who can do this?

Tearing tennisballs in the first event... Anyone here on the board, who can do this?

yea, there are guys on the board who can.

someone go to the contest to collect the 5k please.

Mikeroys taking the right piss - grrr. All that emailing and chatting on the phone last year and every single event none of us will have the equipment for.

Warrior, a board member does this with the greatest of ease, 4 seconds or so.

Warrior - isn't that the guy who put the contest together last year and trains with Roy?

Warrior - isn't that the guy who put the contest together last year and trains with Roy?

Ya, he trains with Roy.

He's the guy with the website that shows all the grip toys.

I don't suppose any of them train pinch, thickbar, unbraced nail bending, grippers, or vbar?

Well I admire him for trying to make a visual contest to attract spectators and thus more sponsors, I still find myself asking, "What the...???". Where does he come up with this stuff, does he just make up events" It would be like Brookfield putting on a contest and using his Grip Tips of the Month as the events

C'mon you guys, it's a grip CHALLENGE.

Let's face it, grip is BORING to the public, so what's wrong with trying to make a viewable spectacle out of it? It's more a long the lines of old time strongman showmanship, where the strongmen tried to show each other up with their own pet lifts. It's tradition, you might say, hehe :D

He did change the name also, it's no longer the "world strongest grip" or something, as you noticed.

Now if someone from the board would go and show him up at his own lifts, now THAT would be impressive. :rock

Edited by nagual

• 4 weeks later...
C'mon you guys,  it's a grip CHALLENGE.

Let's face it, grip is BORING to the public, so what's wrong with trying to make a viewable spectacle out of it? It's more a long the lines of old time strongman showmanship, where the strongmen tried to show each other up with their own pet lifts. It's tradition, you might say, hehe :D

He did change the name also, it's no longer the "world strongest grip" or something, as you noticed.

Now if someone from the board would go and show him up at his own lifts, now THAT would be impressive.  :rock

The Sad part is he might not get a challenger(s) again this year, there seems to be very little interest here among those capable of doing these feats and lots of criticism from some who cant.

If members of the GRIP board show no interest I doubt very many other people who read the Iron Mind ticker will.

"If you're still standing at this point, the final event is arm wrestling, and you have to pull both right handed and left handed."

Arm Wrestling? So this is now a "grip event"? :blink

He had the chance to alter it as per my suggestion last year: Choose from those lifts which are standardized (say 3 of 5) and add 2-3 of his own choice. If he had done I'd have trained for that event only and gone. He didn't and will attract no one. His choice.

I wonder how he defines arm wrestling. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what goes on in the pros but I wonder if he's thinking of what goes on in bars.

He knows his way around the Arm Wrestling table. Do a search for Destroyer on the board, you'll see that most of the posts that come up before summer 2004 are brought up by arm wrestlers.

(Maverick, Sixgun)

Maybe they can bring up a little more info.

Edited by Darco