Help! Cutting The Heads Off A Dumbell!

Grip_Maniac

Hey guys,

I need some advice on the best way to cut off the hexagon-shaped heads of a 50 lbs. dumbell!! You know. ... the one-piece, solid iron with the knurled handle. Damn, is that thing steel hardened together or something? I took it to my friends gas station garage and we tried to weld the ends off and we barely did anything to it!

What could possibly cut metal or iron that hard?? I don't really have access to a band-saw. Shoud I try drilling a bunch of holes in the ends of the handle?

Help me out fellas.... I wanna start block lifting! :rock

Watch the teeth per inch count on the hacksaw blade. Don't use

blades over 18 teeth per inch. Also when cutting splash a little

3-In-One Oil on the blade. It will make the cutting go smoother.

Work on both ends at the same time. Get each end cut about 3/4s

or so. Then lop one end off. You wont have to hold the last blob

end so long when cutting it.

Treat it as a workout, try to cut non-stop.

Good luck,

T!

If you're anywhere near me (central IL) just swing by sometime (email me) & we'll throw it on the band saw. It'll make a 5 min job out of it.

Or a hand held grinder with a cutting blade. I got one for $18 & the blade is $6.

I used a hacksaw and it sucked. I have grinders, chopsaws, welders, all that crap but at the same time isn't the point to have a strong grip so why not do the work? The other day I was working in the garden doing something that was using grip and I was thinking - damn, this will ruin my grip workout - had to mentally smack myself for thinking like that. Now if you were trying to do a dozen DBs or whatever, I would use a bandsaw first if you had access and then dress it lightly with an angle grinder if you didn't get it flush.

A machine shop comes to mined with cutting of steel.

Circular saw with a metal cutting blade, will take you less than a minute, blades are cheap like 3 bucks. The saw itself must have a removeable guide so you can get in close enough, mine is a porter cable and has worked great,........Brett

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I dug through the basement and found some old hacksaws that I put to good use. The cut off one end of the 50 lb. dumbell and left the other one on. My brother has been usig the half with the rod still connected for leveraging, hammer type movements and throwing it around in the field :help

I'm thinking not to saw off the other half so I could use it for these types of exercises, and to suffice with the one block I already cut off.

What do you guys think? I would think the only benefit of having two blocks is being able to work out both hands together, thereby saving time, right?