A Big Thanks To Cannon!

lukeamdman

I found out a few weeks ago that Matt doesn't live too far away from me, so I drove to his house today for a grip workout.

First off I have to say that Matt is very nice guy, with a lot of very nice grip tools, and a very nice house! :) He has a lot of grip experience and I learned a lot today. He also completely schooled me with some nice hub lifts!

We spent the majority of the time calibrating our grippers. I brought over my hampton plates with are perfect for hub lifts and pinching, but I also weighed them on a professional scale to get the exact weight for each plate.

One 45 weighed 45lb's, the other weighed 46.5lb's! One 35lb plate weighed 33.5 pounds, the other weighed 32.9. One 25 pound plate weighed 24, the other 26! You can't trust these these things!

Here's a shocker. My #3, which I have struggled with for a long time, and I knew was a hard #3, is the hardest #3 that myself or Matt has come across so far. It calibrated to 168lb's!!!!! Thats 3.305 folks!

Here are the results for all my heavy grippers:

BBSM: 154.0 - 3.07

Hard HG300: 156.5 - 3.11

Easy HG350: 161.5 - 3.19

#3: 168.0 - 3.305

BBE: 189.5 - 3.67

Hard HG350: 200.5 - 3.85

Look at the difference between the two 350's!!!!

We also weighed his grippers to make sure we were doing it right. Results were identical. I'm sure he'll add the results of his grippers here as well. We calibrated his #3, BBE, and MM1 replica.

Today I was easily able to pinch two 35's, close my BBSM, HG300, and got the easy HG350 to to 1/32"! I took a whole week off to make sure I was well rested for today.

We also took some videos of our grip feats that will be uploaded in the next few days. Stay posted!!

Sounds like you had fun...too bad I don't live close to anybody who does grip. The closest is Jedd Johnson, and he's about 1.5-2hr from me...

That hard 350 is a BRICK! Dang it, that's like a BBSE! And your hard 300 is even harder than mine! Mine's a 3.08. Man, even your #3 is the same as my 350...how the heck did you get all these hard grippers? ;)

Funny you mention about the weights, too. Most of my 10lb steel weights are really 11...I guess that's why the high-end contest weights cost so much :dry

All in all, sounds like a pretty cool time. Glad you posted

Edited by Magnus

That is a hard BBE as well. The harder HG 350 is a mutant, not just like a BBSE, but a really hard BBSE.

Matt really is a cool guy.

Also that mutant HG 350 goes as high as some #4's. :whacked

that mutant 350 will be close to some #4s ... WOW.

It's great to have hard grippers though as you are stronger than you think you are closing that hard BBSM which is great it means you can close most #3s!

Matt its one of the coolest guys i ever meet(only in the internet), wish i could meet him in person :-) he mention in his training log he was having fun with u "Luke"!

i live far away ... (3334345534543 miles away)

Edited by ewokhugo

We couldn't believe how hard that 350 was! I got my easy 350 down to paper thin when I was tired, but I knew the other 350 would calibrate huge. I could even tell it was harder then my hard BBE.

Matt might have some videos up today:)

It was a good time! It was great to meet Luke. Anything he has posted so far on this board under-estimates his strength. Big arms, and a very stong guy! I learned quite a bit from him too.

I was surprised by some of Luke's grippers. We started the calibrations by making sure we got 149# for my #3 that I sent to Acorn to cross-calibrate. We got that exactly, so then we knew the calibrations would be good. As I suspected, it wasn't the set up, but rather that I don't know what my weights weigh. It was great to have Luke's plates that he had weighed ahead of time. For my grippers we got:

2006 #3 = 149# (same as Acorn's calibration)

MM1 = 159#

2005 #3 = 163.5#

BBE = 182#

MM3 = 188#

All these results fit nicely with how the grippers "felt" both for my grippers and Luke's. For example, Luke's #3 at 168lbs is noticably harder than my #3 at 163.5#

Luke's BBSM at 154# is noticably harder than my #3 at 149#. And so on. This BBSM also has a NASTY sweep. I think as more calibrations come out on recent Beef Builder grippers, they are going to remain high. Warren is just burying the spring.

That HG350 was a mutant, and it feels like every bit of 200.5 pounds. It was very difficult to manage a negative.

I wasn't "weak" on grippers, but didn't manage any PRs. I failed to close my 149# 3 by a hair, so I didn't push it with attempts on heavier grippers. I did give Luke's BBSM, HG300 and easy HG350 a shot just to try them, but missed them all. Luke was invincible on grippers and we'll update with videos once I get them uploaded.

I was very excited to try the HUB lifts on the Hampton plates. The 35 came up really easily, so I tried it with +5 and that came up relatively easy as well. So a nice PR at 40lbs. I moved the 45, but wouldn't quite call it a hover. It didn't feel glued to the ground, so I think with a bit more training I'll get that. Then I put that same 45 on my IM HUB and lifted it easily. Then tried 55lbs on the IM HUB and missed that. I should have gone down to 50lbs and tried that. Those plates have great HUBs!

We rounded out the workout with some super-sick negatives on the Secret Weapon. We worked up to 90lbs. I bailed after 90lbs because my back was starting to feel tight (probably from lifting the calibration weight over and over). Luke went a few more reps.

I'm working on videos now. In general, we taped a lot of stuff "in case we got it" but then didn't. For example, I didn't tape the 40lb HUB lift, but got a nice video of me not getting the 45. Oh well, we still got some good vids.

I think as more calibrations come out on recent Beef Builder grippers, they are going to remain high. Warren is just burying the spring.

Yeah, I noticed that. My BB's handles are almost touching the spring, really sunk in there. My BBE is considerably harder than my hg350, but my BBGE is a huge jump up from the Elite, almost makes the E feel easy, so I'm curious to see what it calibrates at.

Edited by Magnus

Here is a couple videos!

Matt's 45lb hub attempt:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8988286425246008817

My pinch of two 35's:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6419038875273720239

My attempt at two 35's + 10lb's:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8658395103342795196

My MM1 attempt:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1532127958184105013

I tried the MM1 about 3/4 the way through the workout. I think I would have got it If I tried it fresh, but ya never know:)

Great vids, Luke. Those pinches were awesome, and you really took that E for a ride! :rock

Thanks for posting those Luke!

As I thought, we didn't get my 35 hub lift, the 35+5lbs, or the 45lbs on the IM HUB. I can redo the IM HUB lifts in training, and then I'll get that 45lbs HUB next time we meet!

That's how it goes with these get-togethers. You don't want to kill the momentum by trying to take a vid of everything, but then you miss some stuff.

:rock

Great workout guys! and no wonder your having troubles closing your #3 - thats a stupid #3! :laugh