Nails In Order Of Difficulty

JustinH

Now I think I have some idea of how nails and IM nails are in order of difficulty from what I've read on this site:

White/ 20d?

Yellow/ 30d?

Green/ 40d?

Blue/60d

Grade 5 bolt

Grade 8 bolt

Red

Grade 12 bolt

Where does the 70d-100d nails fit in and what are the lengths of these?

Also how does the white, yellow and green compare to store bought nails?

I know that a 20d nail is 4 inches, 30d is 4.5 inches, 40d is 5 inches and 50 is 5.5 inches.

I just want to know everything about this now, I've gotten really hooked on bending.

If you're looking to simulate the IM nails, don't buy nails, buy steel bar. Use the same length and thickness and you're there.

The esteemed Mr. Ostlund, bender of reds and lifter of really big stones, previously produced the definitive work to date on metal bending. If you have not watched Dave's video clips in the gallery you are missing out.

Check out this thread for the answers you seek, BENDING

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

70D and 80D are 6.5 and 7 inches, respectively, if I remember my last visit to the hardware store. They're not only longer, though, they also are thicker than 60Ds, probably proportionate to their length increase.

I almost made the mistake of buying 80D nails when I wanted to get a box of nails to bend because I thought they were the same thickness as the 60D box I was going to buy, only longer and hence easier. I made sure to try and bend one first and that set me straight.

I've never even heard of a 140d, but I belelive you are correct on the 100d. They're also about 3/8" thick. I'm pretty sure one has never been bent unbraced :tongue, although Slim Farman does them braced quite nicely.

I had heard they both bent them starting the bend braced and finishing unbraced, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone around who has seen either of them bend 100d nails that could comment on the style?

JB and Slim Farman claim to have bent them unbraced

Neither has claimed to do that. Any spike bending of that magnitude by them or anyone else is usually done started over the leg and finished either crushed between the legs or posted on one leg and finished.

In general, the "penny" designations are overused and incorrectly used. Usually, 80d's are 8" X 3/8, 100d's are 10" X 3/8", and 120d's are 12" X 3/8".

I've personally never come across any 14" nails, and thought they may be custom, but I haven't been to every hardware store in the world......yet.

I have a video of JB doing a 7/16" x 11" bar bend at AOBS 2004. It was started across the thigh and posted on the thigh and pumped down. Minimal padding (appeared to be dish rags or washcloths) was used. Slim discussed his bending and showed how he bends 60ds out in front (thus, slim style-duh) but indicated that he did his spike bending across the side of his thigh. I think this is how most guys are doing it, Pat would be the expert here. I think Pat did some bending that night too maybe but it wasn't really worth mentioning :) J/K.

JB and Slim Farman claim to have bent them unbraced

Neither has claimed to do that. Any spike bending of that magnitude by them or anyone else is usually done started over the leg and finished either crushed between the legs or posted on one leg and finished.

In general, the "penny" designations are overused and incorrectly used. Usually, 80d's are 8" X 3/8, 100d's are 10" X 3/8", and 120d's are 12" X 3/8".

I've personally never come across any 14" nails, and thought they may be custom, but I haven't been to every hardware store in the world......yet.

The penny term doesn't make sense then. Why is it that from 4'' to 6'' they are 20d-60d and when you hit 8'' it's 80d then to 10'' it's 100d? I bought an 8'' and 10'' just for fun when I first bought some nails, the 10'' must be harder than a RED. Anyone that can bend a 10'' unbraced must be superhuman.

Penny is an antiquated term that used to mean the price per 100 nails. Even that is only what historians assume and not an actual proven fact. Not sure when the sizes were standardized, but it's been that way for a long time. Over 100 years if I'm not mistaken.

I noticed grip rite nails have a penny/d chart on the back of their boxes.

3d is 1.25" or 32mm

4d is 1.5" or 38mm

6d is 2" or 51mm

8d is 2.5" or 64mm

10d is 3" or 76mm

16d is 3.5" or 89mm

20d is 4" or 102mm

30d is 4.5" or 115mm

40d is 5" or 128mm

50d are probably 5.5" and 60ds are 6 inches and the intervals start to change and others have covered that. Your were mistaken if you were looking for systematic regularity in an English measurement scale.

I noticed grip rite nails have a penny/d chart on the back of their boxes.

3d is 1.25" or 32mm

4d is 1.5" or 38mm

6d is 2" or 51mm

8d is 2.5" or 64mm

10d is 3" or 76mm

16d is 3.5" or 89mm

20d is 4" or 102mm

30d is 4.5" or 115mm

40d is 5" or 128mm

50d are probably 5.5" and 60ds are 6 inches and the intervals start to change and others have covered that. Your were mistaken if you were looking for systematic regularity in an English measurement scale.

Yes I was mistaken, I guess no one has ever bent a 100d nail without bracing.