Rolling Thunder concentric?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

If it is could anyone explain how? I think it is pretty much static and eccentric? Am I wrong in this assumption? If it is only a static and eccentric contraction and you gain strength in this manner, also with pinching, could other forms of grip be limited to only static and eccentric with the same results produced?

Guest Jeff Roark

Don't you think its eccentric when it starts to peel your fingers back? Anyway, I am really looking to up my power in this lift. I really have never seen a detailed routine for progressing on the Thunder. Does everyone do just holds or do they do max attempt lifts off floor? If anyone has a good detailed routine could they outline it? My best lift is I guess 139lbs if the implement total is 9lbs.

Guest StoicGrip

I do singles with the Rolling Thunder . I start with around 135 # and increase the weight by 5 to 10 # until I can no longer lift it . I am currently lifting 195 # , but my CTS is making all grip work more difficult . It seems to be getting better though as I was down to 170 # and could no longer close a # 2 gripper . I can once again do this easily . I do the same routine with my homemade Inch dumbbell handle . I have recently switched to using plates no larger than 10 # . This is to make the height of the bell more like the original .  I found that it is more difficult to lift than when I used 25 # plates .

I think that once your fingers can no longer hold the static position required to lift the bar, the lift is pretty much over.  In thick bar deadlift type lifts, you (me anyway) can either lift it or not.  If you can't its because you can't hold your fingers in the static position needed to make the lift.  I wouldn't call it an eccentric movement anymore than I would call the act of wrapping my hand around the bar the concentric portion.  To me, the only valid part of the lift is while your hand is in the static position.  The rest is just getting ready to lift it, or ending the lift.