Guest TDOGRPAGE

Guest woody36

Thanks Joe,

I'm not sure i like the sound of the chisel

breaking! i've taken a few layers of skin off the palms

of my hand when cloths have slipped or the nail has gone

straight through with the force applied,it sounds dangerous

but at the same time tempting.

It sounds like something to try for the future.

Thanks again.

Guest 86-1005097353

I work with steel building gym equipment. Most nails are mild steel. They are the weakest in tensile strength usually about 20 tons per square inch. However, some nails are stronger depending on what steel is used to make them. Tom suggested that modern nails are made from scrap metal and that might include lots of grades of steel and thus the composite metals result in nails of higher tensile strength.

Files are very hard. They have to be hard to cut steel. What happens in steels is that the qualities of hardness and tensile strength do not go up together with the various heat treatments done to get specific characteristics in steel. They are almost opposite qualities. The more you have of one the less you get of the other. Humans will find that all steels feel equally hard, but their internal properties do differ.

Chisels use a different grade of steel because they have to have some hardness but also retain lots of tensile strength. It wouldn't be a desirable property of chisels if they easily broke or bent. I am talking about the chisels used in metal working and not the kind used in woodworking.

It is possible that some chisels break and some bend. Maybe they break after they bend a certain distance. Hard steel, such as that used in files, usually breaks without losing its form. It will bend a bit but then snap. Both halves will spring back to being straight.

It is clear that all steels are not equal.

A question to Tom Black. Has he or anyone else bent a 6" X 1/4" stainless steel nail? Most grades of stainless steel have twice the tensile strength of mild steel.

Coins are made of copper and other metals. If tin has been added to make a bronze then the tensile strength increases dramatically. It is one thing to bend a copper coin and another to bend a bronze one.

I was only partially paying attention in my Materials science classes in collage, being an Electrical Engineering major, but what Vince is saying is what I recall.  A file is very hard, but tensile strength is low.  I looked at files last night, and even the biggest seemed somewhat flexible to me, but I might not be the correct person to judge this :).  They are relatively expensive, considering my idea is to break them!   As I have previously posted, I broke a small one with a snap, just as Vince describes.  It was not satisfying because it was too easy.  

I have never seen stainless steel 6”x1/4” nails available in my local hardware store, and only vaguely remember seeing them on-line.  I am fairly confident that the tempered steel bolt that I have bent is stronger than any nail of the same dimensions.  According to specifications, these bolts are 120,000 PSI, almost three times the tensile you gave for the regular nail.   Vince, I’m not sure where you found the figure of 20 tons per square inch for nails, but that sounds about right because it would be 44,800 PSI.  The bolt was considerably harder than most of the nails I bend.  If you are right about the Stainless Steel nails being twice the regular, that would still be "only" 89,600 PSI.

• 4 years later...
I believe Mike Roy is Canadian, but I don't remember any mention of him bending coins.

It's been nearly 5 years so I might as well answer that Mike is featured in the french-canadian movie "Histoire de Pen" bending pennies and breaking stuff but there is no way to tell if it's legit.

I have personally met Pat Ratliff (the guarter bender). A couple years ago a radio station here in San Diego had him over for a freak show they promote. The story I have about him is very long and, I think, intertaining.

He did bend and tear several quarters the evening of the freak show. First up on stage and later while mobed by the audience. He would bend them back and forth flapping his elbows like a bird. He has big hands and thick bone structure. I positioned myself to watch every single tear up close...but not close enough to completely satisfy myself that he was on the level. I had a marked quarter in my pocket I wanted him to tear for me but I was not assertive enough to force myself to over others who were speaking with him.

I went home still wondering, totally amazed by what I had seen. I got into a big fight with my girlfriend because all I could do was sit and stare and wonder. I actually felt nausiated because I was going to have to spend the rest of my life unsure about the possibility of what I had seen. I did not sleep a single minute that night.

The next morning at about 5:00 my girlfriend was still mad at me because I had spent the night on the couch staring at the ceiling. She got on the phone to the radio station that hosted Pats trip and learned that he would be in for a final interview that morning before flying back to Oklahoma. She told them that I had been at the freak show to see Pat and that I was deeply troubled with disbief. The radio show invited me down to meet Pat.

I grabbed the marked quarter, got dressed and drove down to the station (not a short drive). Anyway, I got there, managed to get in (no small feat as it required climbing a fence and letting myself in through the only unlocked door I could find) and wandered through dark, empty hallways until I found the actual studio where the radio morning show was going on. Pat was not there yet but due to arrive at any minute.

He came in with his wife and they both went directly into the sound room for the interview. I waited with some other technical guys on the room next door. They were glass-walled rooms so we could watch the interview. When the interview was over he went into the hall and I went out and met him there. We talked for about 15-20 minutes before I asked him to please bend/tear a quarter for me. He told me that he didn't want to because he had done too many the night before and his hands hurt like ####. I persisted and he relented. I gave him my marked quarter and watched VERY closely. He tore it and returned it to me in two pieces. He appologised for tearing it all the way instead of leaving the last eigth inch intact as he likes to do.

I looked at the two halfs in my hand and knew instantly that he had somehow managed to SWITCH quarters without my seeing him. That's right, the old quick slight of hand trick. He had somehow switched my quarter for a pre-weakened one which he subsequently bent and broke in front of me.

The radio DJs then interviewed ME about what I had seen and how I felt about it. I liked Pat. He is a good natured farmer who is having fun tricking a bunch of city folks. I played like he was on the level and that I was totally amazed by what Pat could do. I did not let on that I knew Pat was tricking people.

The reason I went down there to see Pat was to satisfy myself about whether or not Pat could tear quarters. I did not go down to the radio show to publically expose him if it proved to be a trick. I left fully satisfied and I still have the two quarter halves.

-Mike M.

Well told story and very admirable of you not to expose this fraud.im sure someone exposed pat by now,although people can be gullible.guys like pat take away from guys who can really achieve world feats.what did your girlfriend say?back to my black styrofoam....i mean iron blobs.....lol

:D

• 17 years later...

This is my late uncle I can 100% confirm it to be true. The last time he did it he was 83 and suffering from pancreatic cancer. He also broke a guys arm in a car jacking. You should have seen his thumbs!!

On 4/8/2024 at 12:21 PM, mobark said:

This is my late uncle I can 100% confirm it to be true. The last time he did it he was 83 and suffering from pancreatic cancer. He also broke a guys arm in a car jacking. You should have seen his thumbs!!

That's nice.

My uncle bit three quarters in half, and he was toothless. 

He also ripped truck tire in half barehanded by pulling it apart. 

All Uncle's are cool, but not all uncle's are created equal. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

That's nice.

My uncle bit three quarters in half, and he was toothless. 

He also ripped truck tire in half barehanded by pulling it apart. 

All Uncle's are cool, but not all uncle's are created equal. 

You can purchase fake quarters to bite through from Tiziano Enterprises

The most basic sleight of hand move to swap quarters is also called the French drop 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

You can purchase fake quarters to bite through from Tiziano Enterprises

The most basic sleight of hand move to swap quarters is also called the French drop 

Ah yes, the overplayed joke about the latest COC 4 fraudster, how clever! 

18 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Ah yes, the overplayed joke about the latest COC 4 fraudster, how clever! 

People who cheat deserve to be ridiculed without limit or hesitation. If you don't want to be treated in that way then just be an honest person

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

People who cheat deserve to be ridiculed without limit or hesitation. If you don't want to be treated in that way then just be an honest person

I completely agree with that sentiment!

I was just pointing out I don't think it was.clever or humorous. It is subjective though- so I guess some might find it funny! 

It was a lot more than faking a coc 4. It was faking EVERYTHING. It's never going to get old, or stop being funny

It's not like ironmind certs are the end all be all anyhow. After all, they let people rest the implement on their thigh and pass it off as ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Ah yes another person that knows nothing about biomechanics

Say what you want about biomechanics or whatever gobbledegook science. Doesn't change the fact that ironmind let's people press implements against their thigh for a "lift".

I think there's been many gripboard discussions on this topic, and for whatever reason, "bio muh canicks" has never been brought up (except by some people trying to defend their fraudulent lifts). 

Quite frankly, the thigh implement smasher is no different than tiziano to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are the rules from Ironmind. Please tell me, how do "my bio muh canicks" apply?

Short answer- they don't!

"Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift; and other than incidental contact, the hand or Rolling Thunder handle must not touch the body before the lift is completed—dragging the hand or handle up the leg is cause for an immediate 'No lift.' "

• Like 1

I've spoken privately with some of the top gripsters in the world who agree that people who have a problem with my lift don't understand the rules of the challenge. I don't need to waste my time making up for your lack of education. If you have a problem with something judged by Ironmind, contact them about it. I did what Randall asked me to do, if you don't understand it, that's your problem, not mine.

8 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I've spoken privately with some of the top gripsters in the world who agree that people who have a problem with my lift don't understand the rules of the challenge. I don't need to waste my time making up for your lack of education. If you have a problem with something judged by Ironmind, contact them about it. I did what Randall asked me to do, if you don't understand it, that's your problem, not mine.

That's ok, anyone can look at the rules and see the video of the cert and determine what's ok. I'm pretty sure most of gripboard has an idea of what's right after the whole "medial thigh" mania. 

I don't have any problem contacting ironmind. 

However, I wouldn't need to. 

Joe Kinney's certification isn't legitimate. 

And neither is the crushed to dust which we are talking about. 

It just shows what the company expects and what's acceptable to them. 

The guy who was faking quarter tears, tiziano, panagiotis, and the medial thigh bum are all in the same category to me (and I suspect many others).

Like I said, ironmind certs DO NOT MATTER. 😉

• Like 1

Get a room, fellas.

• Thanks 1