Are these machines!?

blueshadow

In retrospect of past discussions, I wonder if the Hardy Handshake and the plate loaded grip machine(guillotine style) could really be considered machines per se? (Am I speaking blasphemy here?!  :D ). I own both of these and I am quite happy with the progress I've made toward eventually closing the COC#3, many thanx to Kingpin,Strongman and the legendary Tom Black for their expert advice on training with these! And if they are machines does this make me a hypocrite ?!  :0  :D  ;),I really hated to see that training thread closed. I suppose it's all for the best it could have gone on forever. Perhaps we can start another? COme on all lets have some input! Live Long and Prosper!!    JJ

Guest kINGPIN

Without the use of specialized machines or equipment such as grippers it becomes very hard to train the grip effectivly.  Think bar work, one handed deads, plate pinches etc. are excellent but quicker progress can be made in these lifts with a little help from machines IMHO.  With the distinct types of grip it becomes hard to train the crushing grip (allthough it can be done) without a gripper type device or machine.  

I think of my grippers as barbell for my hands.

An apparatus that consists of two or more moving parts is usually considered a machine. Before we digress into semantics, let us consider the agreeable aspects of machines and, in particular, the machines used in grip training. Most of us can agree that machines are great for specialized work, statics, and short range motions. Your list may vary. Hand training usually consists of using a short range of motion or a static squeeze. As kINGPIN mentioned, crushing strength is specialized and quite troublesome to train without a machine.

I have been the happy owner of the Hardy Handshake for a little over 2 weeks now and already I can see increased vascularity in my forearms, this is great,man!! Also I noticed that my COC # 1 feels a lot easier to close! Going to start training with the # 2 in the near future! Thanx to all you guys for the training advice,I didn't think these type of gains were possible for me anymore!

JJ