#3 Just Got Here!

anson

my #3 just arrivied the other day, geezz, what a jump from the #2!! very much of a reality check, i guess i got over confident grinding those #2 handles. i havn't been able to play with the 3 much yet because i broke open a fat calus on my right ring finder the day b4 the #3 arrivied. i'm sure i'll have fun sturggling with this little monster!

Oh yeah, I hear ya. The best is yet to come. Wait until you grind the #3 and get a #4. I could'nt believe the difference. I think its an even bigger jump. If I hadn't seen videos and pictures I still wouldn't believe that gripper could be closed.

I think the best way to get unintimidated by any gripper is to do some serious negatives on them. After you've forced them shut and resisited then a couple times they don't seem as bad.

I forgot to say that this doesn't always work. I tried to do this on Pros, WC's and Constalations. Once I no longer feared the four I thought I'd buy a Pro and get used to it. There was no way I was getting used to this gripper, so I sold it.

I think the best way to get unintimidated by any gripper is to do some serious negatives on them. After you've forced them shut and resisited then a couple times they don't seem as bad.

This is excellent advice. For me when dealing with the big grippers seasoning is a must. Austin Slater suggested that I season my #4 and explained the process to me since I had no idea what he was talking about. This made a world of difference. Prior to seasoning it took everything I had just to set the thing. I'm still light years away from closing it but now I use it for negatives on KTA and can set it easily without bracing my arm on my leg.

how do you season a new gripper? i've been doing some chest crushes to help break it in. :bow

One way is to go over to a carpeted staircase set the edge of the gripper on the stair and use your hand to close it while at the same time applying your own bodyweight. Use the free hand to steady the gripper so nothing slips with all this direct force being used. Or break it in by using it alot.

I took a 1 inch diameter bar and put it through a 25lb plate on one end and through the gripper on the other. Next I stood the gripper on its side with the long part of the handle flush against the carpet. Then I just braced my arm against my low celiing and used my foot to close it for around 100 solid reps. The gripper might twist a little so be careful and hold on to something, don't just step right on it or you could turn an ankle. Play with it, you'll get a feel for it when you try it. Make sure you keep an eye on the heat level of the spring. I only did 25 closes and then would let the spring cool. That said, if you can chest crush it easily then don't even bother with the set up I described. It doesn't get any weaker after the intial seasoning so if you've already chest crushed it/closed it for around 100 reps then its already seasoned. I never seasoned my #3(on purpose anyway) because I didn't know how or even that I could but like I said it made a huge difference on the #4 and chest crushing the #4 for a 100 reps just wasn't an option for me. Hope this helps.

Scratch the 1 inch diameter as it would've had to have been less to fit through the spring, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I'm with you about the huge jump in poundage being pretty intimidating. I bought a 3 and 4 at the same time and marveled at how impossibly hard it was. Getting down to 1" was a great attempt for me! For the longest time, the #4 just sat in my grip toys bag without being touched because it was of no practical use to me which is one of the reasons why I started the traveling gripper thing with it. Now that the #3 is just another gripper I warm up with on the way to heavier grippers, the #4 seems to cooperate more.