Carpenters, Mechanics, And Guys With Big Hands

bender

I last posted about testing some 200+ guys in 4 areas of grip, and since then I've shifted gears. Right now, I've been finding either "really strong guys", "Guys with big hands" and "carpenters and mechanics". I don't have enough data to make any statements of absolutes about total body strength, but this vacation finally cemented my hypothesis about bending vs. Occupation, and hand-size vs. hand-strength.

1). I first found that very few people could bend a Timber Tie, and of those that did, two had “huge hands” and the other 4 were mechanics. So, I’ve since went out and found 6 more mechanics. Results? All 6 bent a Timber Tie with ease. Some did it so quickly that they were really not amused with it at all.

As fate would have it, I went to a party last Monday, and we went out to the garage where I found that the two dudes who lived in the house were both life-long carpenters. I started talking about hand strength and guys who work with their hands. Of course, I went and grabbed my bag-o-nails, and we started bending.

In the end, both dudes bent a 5.5” x ¼” Grade-2 hex-head bolt! Truly remarkable. That bolt is considerably harder than the IM BLUE nail. Neither guy had any weight lifting in the last 6 years or had ever trained hand strength. Neither guy looked like his hands were that strong, but the tendons through their wrists were noticeably developed. One guy was 5'11" x 190lbs, the other was 5'9"x a soft 170lbs.

Conclusion: Work with your hands all day long, not even with max weight, and your max strength will be much higher than the average man, especially true with bending.

2). Over the last few months, I’ve also been keeping my eyes open for guys with big, strong hands. Not just long fingers, but the thick hand, thick wrist, with a sinewy look to them. I have since found 4 of these guys. Two were lifters, one with a 500lb bench (Raw, of course) and the other a Muscle Pumper, but quite strong. The other two did nothing besides push-ups, sit-ups, 2-mile run.

-2 no-set closed a #2

-All 4 closed the #2, after learning “the set”.

-1 slammed the #2 shut so hard it made a “crack” noise, which I have never heard any one make with a gripper!

-All 4 easily man-handled a 40lb hex block weight.

-2 budged the 45lb hex.

-All 4 twisted a Timber Tie

-2 of them could hang from a ¾” door-jam using just their finger tips. (Being the 3rd and 4th guys out of about 100 who tried).

Conclusion: If a dude looks like he has big strong hands, they are big strong hands. If he can’t close a #2, it’s usually because he doesn’t know how to set it like you do.

An interesting story with a logical conclusion.

My father in law, the long time diesel mechanic, easily bent one of my timber ties on his first attempt at bending. He was quite proud, and saved the nail.

My neighbor, the avid outdoorsman, did the same. And his other lifts are reflective of one who doesn't workout. His pinch is also very strong. He has short, thick hands, and even thicker wrists.

I also think that guys who've used their hands heavily over a period of years tend to retain a great deal of their hand strength, even after they cease working with their hands.

That reminds me of somthing that happened the other day. I went over to my friends house, who's mom just happened to be marrying into a tough as nails family. I met my friends soon to be uncle Scott, who just so happens to be training with the Gracie brothers as of now. His Big Brother Steve Whos is my firends soon to be Step Dad, and then I met Steve and Scotts Dad.

Steve is a big guy, Who could almost no set a two. If he would have been intrested enough to le tme show him how to set it, he would have gotten it. Scott did the same. But there dad is what Got me. Steve is the oldest and biggest of the brothersbeing 36. He's 6,3 and about 230. Scott is 26, 6,1 and 190. There dad is about 50, 5,9, and maybe a hair of 150... He grabbed my #2 and did a no set pretty easy... This obviously shows that size has little to do with grippers. Crazy stuff...

I work with about 20 mechanics and none of them

can even close the trainer :blink

most of them have been mechanics for over 10 years

go figure, even after I should them how to set it

M2

Edited by Emsquared

I personally know 2 mechanics. One has huge hands, my father-in-law. He can no set close a filed #2 but can't bent worth a shit.

My brother has the same sized hands as me. He can close a #2 for reps but has to set it. He put a small kink in a 60d after fighing with it for a few minutes and bracing with it for a few minutes. I did the same nail in about 8 seconds.

My step-dad has worked with his hands for most of his 69 years. He can close the #1 but is a mile off the #2. However, he u'd a piece of 7" 1/4 HRS.

I know a number of construction workers, coal miners, etc. (my wife's side of the family) and they are all extremely weak in the hands and body.

Also-interesting enough-all of the college kids are back on break. Last week there was about 15 of them in the gym at work, most of them college athletes on a D2 or 3 level. I picked up a 35 pound York DB by the face, then cleaned and pressed it. NONE of them could budge the 35 by the face, and only one of them broke the ground with a 30. 10 out of the 15 got a hex headed 25 by the face :whistel

This was all done with no chalk.

I then showed them how to plate curl a 35. No one could do it. 2 got a 25. 7 got 2-10s. The rest failed.

Rick Walker :rock

Next time I go back to the homestead I'm gonna take some block weights, the Inch, and some nails. There is a family of farmers I grew up just down the road from, and I've got a sneaking suspicion....

I did have my 40lbs blob at home and my brother, who runs the family farm and his own welding business. 5'9" 160ish never lifted nor played any sports. Got my #2 within a hair no set and broke the 40 off the floor without chalk. I subscribe to the manual labor theory. My brothers hands are thick, but not long (maybe 7-7.5)

So there's my ungrip trained story.

I work on oil rigs. I think it really depends on the labor. Maybe 20 or especially 100 years ago you could say, "all carpenters will have strong grips." In the machinery age though, I'm not sure all do (or whatever physical job your talking about). Most carpenters nowadays hardly use a hammer for 30min a day, the rest is chop sawing (no hand saws), air nailing (no hammer), and loading debris with a bobcat (no shovel) so I believe, because of the ability of machines to do so much more, and because of liability litigation (don't wanna get hurt lifting, use the forklift) it has weakened alot of our so called manual labor workers. Some of the rig workers are very strong, but some are very weak. I have found quite a few guys that can close a 1 but no 2's, some close (thats no set, no chalk) but I have seen the same guys lever sledgehammers like nothing. (In fairness, I haven't been able to get any of the 6'-6" 275# guys on one yet) The sledge is the one last thing they use all the time that will build that strength. I have heard of one company that makes a minihydraulic deal that eliminates the need for sledgehammers to tighten up hammer union connections (don't want anyone hitting their leg or something) so I think we'll be wearing dresses in the oilfield soon. The only really strong ones are the guys around 40-50yrs who were around when YOU were the forklift....and there aren't many of them left. Just my 2p worth.

I agree with the mannual labor jobs softeneing up quite a bit. I bet carpenters, farmers, stevedores and lumberjacks from a 100+ years back had some killer grips and killer functional strength. My dad use to be a carpenter back in the 80's and he said they never used nail guns and to this day when were building things he won't use one. I have been with him when guys were doing roughs and people think hes crazy for not using one. I guess times have changed. It is fun though to go into the woods wiht a axe and crosscut saw. Then you realize there were some bad dudes that use to work there.

I think labor jobs are perhaps easier but farming still requires multi tasking.Many physical labor abilities.Especially the relatively small farms in eastern illinois and south east Iowa.(the only farms I'm really familiar with)You've gotta turn a wrench(mechanic),grab a hammer or a shovel,wield a sledge and sometime wrestle down a pig. :dry Most still split their own wood with a sledge/wedge or axe and you fix your plumbing(more wrench turning)yourself. Shoveling snow off part of the porch is still manual and snowblowers are contantly breaking down ;) Most of the farmers I know are proficient welders and do some metal work of some sort.Having to improvise and machine quick repairs.When its time to work....there can be no delays.The smaller the farm?The more labor has to be done by hand.

I agree though the real 'tough guys' of the old era?are in their 40's or 50's or 60's but some of their kids are still old school.

Josh's uncle Joe is a knife sharpener fro a slaughter house and raises pigs on the side.Works 60 hours at the 'job'then takes care of his animals.Yes he has favorable genetics(actually stronger than Josh on the weights)but he got a #3 within a credit card or two? first try.

I've handed off the #2 to quite a few guys and seen it closed.If you have to work with pliars or a wrench I think these guys Instinctively know how to 'place'the gripper.I've seen guys get the #3 pretty close.I admit I always look at wrist or hands and size these guys up.....usually am right.

Not too long ago we became aware of another possible grip monster....he is even MORE private than Josh and even less interested in grip and NOT interested in publicity at ALL.His first name is 'bob'and rather than incur his wrath..I'll leave it at that.

He has-quietly-worked out at the local gym several days a week when it is NOT harvest time.He trains S L O W L Y and with moderate weight while at the gym.Will at times when his work schedule allows 3 or 4 hours in the gym at a time!VERY slow and very strict...all i had ever seen him do was as we jokingly call it...body building crap(which I will add we all do plenty of Bodybuilding crap).

He has huge arms and huge traps but not as big as me all around.A bad knee that needs to be repaired("maybe I'l get it fixed next year")prevents leg work out.

Anyway.He asked if he could train in with Josh and they talked farm machinery between sets.So they trained chest one day.Started with declines(which he hadn't done before)and hit approx.525 for 4 or 5.Then a inclines hit approx.405plus for 5 or 6?Then hit flat dumbells of 170-175? for 6 to 8.(those bothered his wrist :blink )Every rep very slow and steady(where as Josh is very fast and explosive)NOW before you say yeah right?!?!?!? :rolleyes He HAS been hitting benches and inclines at home in the barn for over 10 years!!Usually Benching alone....unracking those heavy weights with no spot or lift off :ohmy:ohmy And had decided to do his bodybuilding 'crap'at the gym and loves the HAMMER STRENGTH back machines.Amazing to watch him do SLOW-no momentum reps on the HAMMER STRENGTH DY Row with 5 plus plates per side on it :blink Just crazy slow and 'strict.'

What does this have to do with grip.He was coaxed into Rolling Thunder and hit:130#,then 190-195#, 215 or 220# and missed,I believe? 240#.(Jumped to 5 heavy 45lb plates).Too big of a jump but Josh thought/estimated he'd have been good for 225-235# FIRST TRY.His hands are about 7 3/4???(my size)not big! Thick though AND the key to this story!Massive wrists and forearms...he immediately /instinctively cocked his wrist.Labor?I believe developed the wrist and of course @ 6'1" about 255 he was a big strong muscled up dude.

IF he says two or three words in a work out....other when Josh and him have 'hooked'up it is a suprise.A smile and a nod is all you get.Usually trains in jeans and a T shirt! Seen him train in some Carhart stuff?!?! :whacked Just incredible.And You just have to wonder how many more-like him AND stronger- are out there?????????????? :yikes:yikes

Long ramble on a boring day.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2