material, so would someone explain to me

the difference between arm wrestling and

wrist wrestling?

Is fingerhacklin (finger wrestling) still being

contested anywhere?

Thanks!

Guest Luke Reimer

Joe,

I may be able to help with this question. Originally there was a difference between "arm wrestling" and "wrist wrestling," consisting in equipment and rules. I could be mistaken but I believe the main differences were that wrist wrestling competitions use sit-down tables instead of stand-up ones, and required that off-hand of each competitor be clasped underneath their wrestling hands; whereas in armwrestling the off-hand of each competitor grasps a handle on its own side of the table. There may have been more differences with wrist wrestling too.  In any case, the wrist wrestling environment significantly reduced mobility, minimizing the roll of technique and speed. The matches were said to be longer, and depended more upon arm strength and stamina.  

Some time ago the wrist wrestling association in the US, headquartered in Petaluma, California (see www.armwrestling.com), changed it's equipment and rules to make them uniform with those of arm wrestling, but without changing it's name. So every year in Petaluma there is a world "wrist wrestling" competition, but it's identical to arm wrestling. You may be able to find out the dates of the change by digging around on the site I mentioned.

Well put Luke.

Fingerhackin contests still go ahead in Austria. I saw a championship recently on a tv program devoted to weird things in Europe.

David