Paul Savage passes away

Alawadhi

I am new to grip but I would see his name very often, only in a positive or strong context. RIP.

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Bill, his profile shows his dob as 08/14/1986

So, 36!? Man, that's young.

Paul and Becca were not, as far as I know married.

Some of you will know that Paul and I lived together for 6+ months. He was that serious about training in, at that time, one of the few places here in the UK with a decent set up for training strongman events and, of course, grip. So he traveled half way across the country to live in my house and train. 

I used to, as I told Rebecca, rag on him for (he was a LOT younger then) training for 4 hours and sometimes more. He had a habit of reading of a new training technique and adding it in lol. But it was also Paul that got me to go from a 3.5 gripper to regular closes of various CoC4's. Paul's left hand was as good as his right and even recently he closed a 4 on camera. I had the edge in age, experience and, as I told him, willingness to go to a crazy place and, if need be, bleed. But, as he got older, he ended up stronger than me overall. He also used his own experience and time under the iron to become a heck of a coach. 

He took a self admitted 'damaged' Becca (she's done podcasts and videos on this) and became her partner and helped her via coaching and emotional support become a world class athlete. She is, I believe, currently the worlds strongest woman. I've had Becca in touch and will not comment on the manner of his death until Becca and or his family make that public. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Bill, his profile shows his dob as 08/14/1986

I'm not sure that that's accurate. I suspect he was late 40's early 50's. Certainly younger than I am which is in and of itself sad. IF it was 1986 then that's no age at all and 100% gone too soon. 

25 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

I'm not sure that that's accurate. I suspect he was late 40's early 50's. Certainly younger than I am which is in and of itself sad. IF it was 1986 then that's no age at all and 100% gone too soon. 

Update. His FB profile says 1986 too. Damn!!

• Sad 1

My condolences to family and friends.  RIP.

• Like 1

Such horrible news.  I always loved reading updates from him. My thoughts are with his friends and family. 

• Like 1

Well damn, I hate to hear that.   :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mobsterone said:

Me and Paul are definitely around the same age (me being 1987). I remember him when he joined the forum and one of his DP's was him in a cap and remember all his videos when he wasn't as big. Definitely the same age.

Edit: saw your next reply. Yup around the same age. Way too young 💔. But death doesn't know age or anything. It just comes. Love and strength to his family and Rebecca ❤️

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Me and Paul are definitely around the same age (me being 1987). I remember him when he joined the forum and one of his DP's was him in a cap and remember all his videos when he wasn't as big. Definitely the same age.

Edit: saw your next reply. Yup around the same age. Way too young 💔. But death doesn't know age or anything. It just comes. Love and strength to his family and Rebecca ❤️

absolutely terrible. He was so proud of her for her accomplishments and sharing them here last month.  Rebecca has not had it easy from the little i know about her and now this.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hellswindstaff said:

Does anyone know the cause of death?

It does not appear to have been disclosed at this time. 

Paul’s original account on the GripBoard was “Viper.” He showed up just before I found the GripBoard in 2006. He would have been 19 I guess. I remember being so frustrated by the progress this young guy was making. He got strong on grippers QUICK. It left me lamenting “why can’t I do that?” The GripBoard used to have a status update feature where you could post short almost like “Tweets” to the status feed. I remember one time people were posting their goals and Viper put “I want to grip over everyone!” The wording was just that way. People asked “what do you mean by that?” and he clarified in no uncertain terms “I want to have the strongest grip.” It seems like with very few exceptions he accomplished that. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, hellswindstaff said:

Does anyone know the cause of death?

Yes but I'll wait until it's revealed by Becca or his family 

• Like 1

Paul was slightly older than me, 36 or so. It escapes me when his birthday was. 

We trained together for the first time 16 years ago, I was 17, Paul was 20.

Nothing but positive memories of a great guy.

RIP. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PHATMUSCLE COACHING said:

Paul was slightly older than me, 36 or so. It escapes me when his birthday was. 

We trained together for the first time 16 years ago, I was 17, Paul was 20.

Nothing but positive memories of a great guy.

RIP. 

August 14th according to FB

What a loss. I know he had mostly been posting Becca's progress lately, but in the back of my mind I always assumed he just being bashful while closing #4's off camera. He had incredibly strong hands. My heart really goes out his family.

• Like 1

I read it also on Becca's insta and couln'd believe it! RIP Paul, gone way to early...

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, Alawadhi said:

Our friend @Paul Savage passed away. I read it on his wife Instagram Rebecca Roberts an hour back. So sad to hear this. He was just talking to us and giving advise here few days ago.

Sending love and strength to his wife Rebecca ❤️ 

Thanks Grip Alawadhi. Brother.  Prayings for his Wife Rebecca and their family...The Most high and his son is with them. Blessings

• Like 1