How to train for a CoC 3 certification

EmilBB

My current goal is to get certified on the number 3, however I'm not quite sure how to go about it. How many CCS reps would you recommend that I should be able to do with my average rated number 3 before going for the certification? It's gonna be over video as there's no referee's where I'm from, so I really only have 1 attempt to get it. So I just wanna be sure I'm in a good spot before going for it. All advice is very much appreciated.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

My current goal is to get certified on the number 3, however I'm not quite sure how to go about it. How many CCS reps would you recommend that I should be able to do with my average rated number 3 before going for the certification? It's gonna be over video as there's no referee's where I'm from, so I really only have 1 attempt to get it. So I just wanna be sure I'm in a good spot before going for it. All advice is very much appreciated.

Get the hardest CoC No.3 you can find once you are able to close that with a CCS you should be able to get certified.

The hardest Coc no.3 is RGC 165 so try to find one in that range.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

I have Robert Baraban's adjustable gripper so it should be possible to get it at 165 RGC. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

🤞 Good luck

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

My plan is to go for the cert when I can ccs my standard cobalt. So far I have done it from a ghp block set.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I have Robert Baraban's adjustable gripper so it should be possible to get it at 165 RGC. Thanks for the help.

From what I've heard the Baraban is a bit easier than CoC's so if I were you I'd aim for 170-175 RGC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

From what I've heard the Baraban is a bit easier than CoC's so if I were you I'd aim for 170-175 RGC.

That's good to know, I'd rather be too strong than too weak obviously.

• Like 4

I actually train for it in an unusual fashion. Although the cert is from a CCS, the strength you need to do it can be trained with any set. I personally see the best results doing MMS or Deep Set reps, which is why I regularly train those.

I still think it's important to generally be fit in the CCS technique you will use for the cert. I don't think it's essential to only train that per say, just maybe familiarize with it when practicing closes with the #3 sometimes. 

I would personally apply for the cert when I can CCS close my heavier #3s (still sub 155) very confidently, maybe even for 2 reps, it is hard especially due to the spread on those, which is around 80mm. CCSing an easier Standard Cobalt is probably also a great milestone to judge your readiness by, but probably requires an even higher strength level.

• Like 2

I trained for the COC cert last year.  My feeling was that it would be unlikely that I would get a gripper much harder than 150, and I usually perform better at comps and for certs than I do in normal workouts.  I owned a few COC 3s with RGC ratings (by CPW) from 143 to 152.  When I could reliably CCS close my 152 on any given day, I sent in my video application and they sent me the cert gripper.  I was feeling off that day, and had gotten sick right after they sent me the gripper, so I was worried that I wouldn't succeed.  But I did.  I suppose my strategy was a little risky, because they could have sent me a 160, but that is very rare.  I know they exist, but if that had happened, and I missed it, I don't think it would have been the end of the world.  So I don't think it is imperative that you are CCS closing 165 to sign up.  If you are, then sure, you will probably find the cert very easy even if you get a pretty hard 3.  But you also may never get up to CCS closing a 165, and then you would never have certed even if you could have certed at RGC 152 or so, which is harder than the average 3.  

That's a personal decision as to how you feel about taking the attempt.  I was fairly confident that with a solid 152 close within my range any day, I'd manage.  Maybe you need to be more sure, that's fine.

Also, as for HOW to train:  I mostly trained MMS, and just practiced CCS when I felt like I was getting close to sending for it.  I was closing up to 165 MMS when I was doing 152 CCS, sometimes same workout.  I felt like training CCS was more for form than for strength, as MMS was helping me well enough with strength.  I assume training both is a good idea.

I'm not an expert, but I am a certified COC, so my way at least worked for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I trained for the COC cert last year.

I mean, I trained for about 4 years, but realized I was close last year and made it a priority.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Get the hardest CoC No.3 you can find once you are able to close that with a CCS you should be able to get certified.

The hardest Coc no.3 is RGC 165 so try to find one in that range.

The hardest #3 that I'm aware of is Jason Payne's #3 that is in the 190lb RGC range. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bencrush said:

The hardest #3 that I'm aware of is Jason Payne's #3 that is in the 190lb RGC range. 

That has to be a manufacturing mistake. No way a #3 spring should be that hard.

As previous posters has stated don't bother with reps, focus on your 1RM. I think you will feel when you're ready for certification. I'd say if you can close #3's with a spread of 77 mm or more comfortably you should try to cert.

Most of the #3's with a handle spread like that is going to be at least average to hard. You can find easy ones with that spread but that is unusual and if you do you will of course feel that if you have other #3's to compare it to.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bencrush said:

WOW that is insane!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

I actually train for it in an unusual fashion. Although the cert is from a CCS, the strength you need to do it can be trained with any set. I personally see the best results doing MMS or Deep Set reps, which is why I regularly train those.

I still think it's important to generally be fit in the CCS technique you will use for the cert. I don't think it's essential to only train that per say, just maybe familiarize with it when practicing closes with the #3 sometimes. 

I would personally apply for the cert when I can CCS close my heavier #3s (still sub 155) very confidently, maybe even for 2 reps, it is hard especially due to the spread on those, which is around 80mm. CCSing an easier Standard Cobalt is probably also a great milestone to judge your readiness by, but probably requires an even higher strength level.

Definitely agree with that method of training, my deep set sessions are for building strength. Where my CCS sessions are mostly to make sure I set it right so my short fat fingers can reach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I trained for the COC cert last year.  My feeling was that it would be unlikely that I would get a gripper much harder than 150, and I usually perform better at comps and for certs than I do in normal workouts.  I owned a few COC 3s with RGC ratings (by CPW) from 143 to 152.  When I could reliably CCS close my 152 on any given day, I sent in my video application and they sent me the cert gripper.  I was feeling off that day, and had gotten sick right after they sent me the gripper, so I was worried that I wouldn't succeed.  But I did.  I suppose my strategy was a little risky, because they could have sent me a 160, but that is very rare.  I know they exist, but if that had happened, and I missed it, I don't think it would have been the end of the world.  So I don't think it is imperative that you are CCS closing 165 to sign up.  If you are, then sure, you will probably find the cert very easy even if you get a pretty hard 3.  But you also may never get up to CCS closing a 165, and then you would never have certed even if you could have certed at RGC 152 or so, which is harder than the average 3.  

That's a personal decision as to how you feel about taking the attempt.  I was fairly confident that with a solid 152 close within my range any day, I'd manage.  Maybe you need to be more sure, that's fine.

Also, as for HOW to train:  I mostly trained MMS, and just practiced CCS when I felt like I was getting close to sending for it.  I was closing up to 165 MMS when I was doing 152 CCS, sometimes same workout.  I felt like training CCS was more for form than for strength, as MMS was helping me well enough with strength.  I assume training both is a good idea.

I'm not an expert, but I am a certified COC, so my way at least worked for me.

Always great getting advice from someone who has done it, however I'm gonna end up paying like 80-100 USD when I go for the attempt. So that's why I want to get it first attempt, I will try to get a comfortable 160 CCS before going for the attempt. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, now I have a better idea of how strong I need to be before going for it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bencrush said:

That's in the range of really high 3.5 and low 4. That's insane bro

21 hours ago, bencrush said:

Wow.  When I was MMS closing my light 3.5 (RGC 165), I (mistakenly) believed that at that point I could MMS close any 3 ...

190 would be rare even for a 3.5. Outrageous for a 3!

Edited by Vinnie

On 10/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, DevilErik said:

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:11 PM, C8Myotome said:

I attempted the coc3 cert last year since I have been able to ccs an average 3 since like 2 months in to training. I did close it with both hands but they told me the credit card work was rushed, and the closes weren't held long enough. So basically they want you to make it look like it was really easy. My audition video was from a top-down view so I don't think they realized I put the card in and out from the side. From what I have seen since they want the card to be moved top to bottom, through the handles. I had CPW rate the cert attempt gripper and I was told on first close it was 152, and after 30 closes it was 146. So this shows that a brand new 3 can be easily 6 lbs heavier, until it is broken in. For this reason I would say that being able to close an average and already broken in 3 in training is not good enough to be able to ccs a brand new unopened 3, which will be much heavier. Additionally, if you get a heavier than average 3 like a 152 after 30 closes, this could be as heavy as 158 on the first close.  I own 4 3's now and my heaviest is 154, it is extremely wide. I have a 146, a 147 double-filed to 162, my 152 filed to 160, and the crazy wide 154.

I have been really focused on ghp sets, and more recently some mms..best closes ghp set with 173 GG6, ghp set 163 cobalt, ghp set 159 coc 3.5, mms 167 coc 3.5. I haven't done a CCS in so long, so I'm not really sure at what point I'll start taking the coc3 cert seriously again. They did tell me to contact them to try again in a few months, but so far it's been about a year and I haven't taken them up on it yet. If you pass the audition, the cert gripper is free. However if it's a 2nd attempt I'm not sure if it's still free, I would imagine at some point for repeated attempts you might have to start covering the costs of it.

I'm a lot more advanced on grippers now than I was when I attempted...at some point I'll try again, maybe once I can do and then get consistent on CCS with some of my heavier grippers.

Additional issues I had was not having a tracking number for the 3 so I had no idea how to anticipate which day I would be doing the attempt on, the nerves of doing it on the spot with one chance etc. It is really true that you have to master the 3 and not just be able to close it in training to be able to pull it off. I think you also only have a few days since it shows up to attempt unless you have special considerations etc.

I thought I had to send back the gripper when done, they don't explain much on their website about the process when it's done over video. Any chance you can explain in detail what I have to do, when applying to get certified? English is not my first language, so I just wanna make sure I'm understanding it all correctly. Would really appreciate it.

On 10/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, EmilBB said:

I thought I had to send back the gripper when done, they don't explain much on their website about the process when it's done over video. Any chance you can explain in detail what I have to do, when applying to get certified? English is not my first language, so I just wanna make sure I'm understanding it all correctly. Would really appreciate it.

No, if you pass the audition process you keep the cert attempt gripper whether you passed or failed at least for video attempts, I don't know how it works in-person. The audition is like an interview where you answer a bunch of questions about yourself like a job application, and then submit a video if you closing a 3 with a credit card. They will let you know if you are approved to make an attempt or not. When you receive the package you have a few days to decide when to do it and then have to do everything on camera with it staying within the frame. For my next attempt whenever I get around to it I am just going to film it by myself because to have someone that knows literally nothing about grip try to film it and have no idea what they are doing is extremely stressful, especially when I am used to training alone as well. I will probably test my CCS again soon to see where I am at with it as I am wayyyy stronger now than when I did my attempt. It is extremely frustrating to have closed it with both hands, but then told that my credit card work was too fast and that the closes weren't held long enough. Like I did it, but it still wasn't good enough lol. Probably why I have been putting off working on it again for so long and have been focusing on other things.

Like I said above, I ended up mailing my cert gripper to have it rated and explained the circumstances of that gripper. I was told it rated 152 (this would have been its third close as I closed it twice), and then after 30 manual closes it became 146, which is now my lightest 3 out of the 4 that I own. They are averaging 148 with a mode of 150 right now, so I would be prepared to CCS at least 156 to compensate for how extra stiff they are brand new as compared to after they have been broken in.

Being able to CCS an average 3 in training is cool and stuff, but all of these factors I listed are to describe how much more difficult closing a brand new 3 on cert day can be. Given they are about 6 lbs heavier, a CPW bumper is a great tool to prepare to overcompensate, but doesn't really factor into that a new 3 could also be extra wide which is where the extra resistance is coming from. So it's a good idea to try out a lot of different grippers.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

No, if you pass the audition process you keep the cert attempt gripper whether you passed or failed at least for video attempts, I don't know how it works in-person. The audition is like an interview where you answer a bunch of questions about yourself like a job application, and then submit a video if you closing a 3 with a credit card. They will let you know if you are approved to make an attempt or not. When you receive the package you have a few days to decide when to do it and then have to do everything on camera with it staying within the frame. For my next attempt whenever I get around to it I am just going to film it by myself because to have someone that knows literally nothing about grip try to film it and have no idea what they are doing is extremely stressful, especially when I am used to training alone as well. I will probably test my CCS again soon to see where I am at with it as I am wayyyy stronger now than when I did my attempt. It is extremely frustrating to have closed it with both hands, but then told that my credit card work was too fast and that the closes weren't held long enough. Like I did it, but it still wasn't good enough lol. Probably why I have been putting off working on it again for so long and have been focusing on other things.

Like I said above, I ended up mailing my cert gripper to have it rated and explained the circumstances of that gripper. I was told it rated 152 (this would have been its third close as I closed it twice), and then after 30 manual closes it became 146, which is now my lightest 3 out of the 4 that I own. They are averaging 148 with a mode of 150 right now, so I would be prepared to CCS at least 156 to compensate for how extra stiff they are brand new as compared to after they have been broken in.

Being able to CCS an average 3 in training is cool and stuff, but all of these factors I listed are to describe how much more difficult closing a brand new 3 on cert day can be. Given they are about 6 lbs heavier, a CPW bumper is a great tool to prepare to overcompensate, but doesn't really factor into that a new 3 could also be extra wide which is where the extra resistance is coming from. So it's a good idea to try out a lot of different grippers.

Really appreciate it a lot, now I just need to get strong enough. Also good luck to you, if you end up trying again.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I guess I have a blind, naive trust of sound manufacturing processes.... 

Once I could consistently close my #3, I applied for the cert and closed it no problem.  I figured with as many as Ironmind makes, I would get one close to the average rating that CPW has collected data on.  I felt like the cert gripper was easier than the one I had been training with, but after sending them off to CPW, it turns out that my cert gripper was 3lbs heavier (151) than the one I had been training with.

We are all different, but I love high-pressure situations.  The rush I get from that definitely boosts my performance.  Stepping out of the comfort zone is good for the soul.  :)

Good luck!

• Like 3