• Green nail?
    • Yellow nail?
    • Cut down yellow?
    • Blue Nail?
    • Cut down Blue?
    • Red nail?

John

I 2 have Bent RED nails on my gym/garage wall,2 normal length "U" Shaped,

1 Red "U" Shaped with 1" cut off of it and 1 Red Completely unbent,but i aint saying who they are off :tongue

I also keep my own best bending scalps to look back on and also encourage myself to try harder :blush

My best bends to date are are:-

M8x150mms High Tensile carraige bolt with 1/2" cut off it,according to the bolt company here in the UK were i get them,the equivalent of a grade 5 bolt,the same tensile strength.

5"x5/16ths brass

Big Steves 80d,s(skinny spikes)with 1 1/2" cut off them

Some 60d,s with an 1" cut off them

Something else with 1/2" cut off it,but i cannot say what till i have it on video.

Dont no how these compare to the blue as i have never seen or tried one.

Awesome work Gazza!

I can't wait till you're all healed up. You're gonna be bending some mighty impressive stuff for our inspiration and entertainment!

1/4" by 6 3/8" CRS. That was about three weeks ago. I haven't bent since. My thumb was bothering me a little and wrestling season started so I don't have the time like I usually do. I'm still doing all my sledgehammer work as usual though. I'm trying to up my general stength, then hopefully the blue will be within reach by next fall. After that a real 60d.

dyoder16

Thanks ERIC

But i think you will be getting the 220k bar anytime now :bow

Hope i can provide some motivation when i am back to full strength :cool as this BOARD,the Head Honcho :D and all the members have provided tons and tons of friendship and inspiration to me,i hope i will be worthy :blush

cut blue 5 3/4" tonight. Thanks for the motivation and help Big Steve!!

Great work Mark!

Edited by EricMilfeld

• 2 weeks later...

I selected blue based on Rick Walker's description of a 6" x 1/4" as being a blue, but that could have been potentially premature, because I am not certain that it's cold-rolled vs. hot-rolled. Is there a way to tell the difference? The tag didn't specify, I got it at a Hardware Hank. Typically I see more CRS designations, so I tend to assume it's that, but I really do not know for certain.

Apparently I've been overbending, I got my 5.25 down to 1/2 inch spread.

Jeff, I've been doing the same thing, although I think that final squeeze is the easy part, so why not. I figure it doesn't hurt to try to get them closer.

I selected blue based on Rick Walker's description of a 6" x 1/4" as being a blue, but that could have been potentially premature, because I am not certain that it's cold-rolled vs. hot-rolled. Is there a way to tell the difference? The tag didn't specify, I got it at a Hardware Hank. Typically I see more CRS designations, so I tend to assume it's that, but I really do not know for certain.

The blues marketed today are a very tough variety of HRS. Rick is right about the CRS usually being tougher than the HRS. I think the CRS is typically shinier than the HRS, but I wouldn't worry too much about the designation. The strength of the particular steel in question is what matters.

I think the CRS is typically shinier than the HRS, but I wouldn't worry too much about the designation. The strength of the particular steel in question is what matters.

Yeah, I suppose. Could anyone describe the "calibration" process? I mean if there's an easy way, anyhow. I'm prolly gonna order an assortment of Horne's challenge bars here pretty quick to get a better idea of where I'm at.

Could anyone describe the "calibration" process? I mean if there's an easy way, anyhow. I'm prolly gonna order an assortment of Horne's challenge bars here pretty quick to get a better idea of where I'm at.

David uses the Tom Black method, with one differemce. He bends his bars to 80 degrees, whereas Tom mentioned bending until there is 1/4" distance between the middle of the nail and a flat surface when the nail is laid down on its side. But in both cases the bar is wrapped in cloth, slid through the hole of a loading pin until centered exactly, and then very slowly lifted until the required angle is achieved. David takes care to use the identical grip of the bar with each calibration.