Carl Myerscough- the strongest grip in the world

AdamTGlass

There’s always the question of who is truly the king of the mountain and I think we no longer need to talk about it. This morning Carl sent me video which was just unbelievable yet of course absolutely believable- Carl doing a perfectly strict 45 lb rogue bumper plate curl. Inconceivable power. No one ever has replicated such a thing. He holds records at this point on so many lifts I can’t even count them all - 216 ghp 9 gripper for a double, 288+ 3” Saxon, 3” & 2” crusher WR,  flask WR, 500+ easy axle, inch bell clean @height of 6’10”! 92lb+ one hand saxon snatch, 3” Saxon curl WR,  a bunch I can’t think of but you can find-the list just goes on and on. Carl a mountain of a man yet humble and kind. He’s truly unique in his strength through the history of serious grip competitors. Perhaps some other people are currently sitting on a record- do you think Carl could take it? The only discipline we haven’t seen from Carl is bending but personally I feel if he gets the bug it will be historic. I’m curious how many of you are aware of Carl and any predictions you have of him going forward? 

Edited by AdamTGlass
Edit of title
  • Like 23

4 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

There’s always the question of who is truly the king of the mountain and I think we no longer need to talk about it. This morning Carl sent me video which was just unbelievable yet of course absolutely believable- Carl doing a perfectly strict 45 lb rogue bumper plate curl. Inconceivable power. No one ever has replicated such a thing. He holds records at this point on so many lifts I can’t even count them all - 216 ghp 9 gripper for a double, 288+ 3” Saxon, 3” & 2” crusher WR,  flask WR, 500+ easy axle, inch bell clean @height of 6’10”! 92lb+ one hand saxon snatch, 3” Saxon curl WR,  a bunch I can’t think of but you can find-the list just goes on and on. Carl a mountain of a man yet humble and kind. He’s truly unique in his strength through the history of serious grip competitors. Perhaps some other people are currently sitting on a record- do you think Carl could take it? The only discipline we haven’t seen from Carl is bending but personally I feel if he gets the bug it will be historic. I’m curious how many of you are aware of Carl and any predictions you have of him going forward? 

Nice tribute.  I messaged with him a little about the COC certs when I was going for the 3.  He was kind and helpful to a mere mortal seeking to cert a gripper that he closes with two fingers lol.  I am really hoping to see that elusive COC 4 CCS cert added to his list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I'd have to agree that Carl overall is the strongest at the moment. He's super strong at everything. I wish he could upload his feats on YouTube, that would be awesome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

I think I'd have to agree that Carl overall is the strongest at the moment. He's super strong at everything. I wish he could upload his feats on YouTube, that would be awesome.

This!

Some people are just incredible. 

Yeah Carl has established himself as the world number 1, no doubt about it

• Like 2

I have had the pleasure of meeting Carl twice.

i agree with everything said by Adam, except I would not think the lesser of Carl if he chose not to bend even a lowly White Nail.

• Like 2

supper strong

very impressive 

GHP 9 #216 for 2 reps!!  Among his numerous WR's Big Carl has the WR's on all the handle sizes from Country Crush. 485lb on 2" CC - holy sheet. I met Carl in 2017 in Anaheim, very nice man and He was a gentle giant until he stepped onto the platform!

He is strong as hell, no doubt about it. I'd like to see him giving everything he got with Millenium dumbbell. Maybe lifting it thumbless or repping AMRAP.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, Wannagrip said:

This!

Great post Adam!

Carl posts lot of his feats on instagram. 

• Like 1

@AdamTGlassto be fair, not being near 7 foot, and of very, very large hands, your feats are much more impressive. You originally broke the rules for what "normal" was supposed to be able to do 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carl posts so many world records he casually abbreviates them as "WR". He is a monster and built for this stuff. 500+ on an axle seems outside the realm of possibility for normal people, I don't even know how big he is exactly but he has a strongman type build. Definitely one of my favorite people to follow for grip content, the stuff he posts in just every day training is mind blowing

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Carl posts so many world records he casually abbreviates them as "WR". He is a monster and built for this stuff. 500+ on an axle seems outside the realm of possibility for normal people, I don't even know how big he is exactly but he has a strongman type build. Definitely one of my favorite people to follow for grip content, the stuff he posts in just every day training is mind blowing

Carl is 6'10 360lbs so very strongman-esque proportions, Whats strange is that his hands aren't huge, I have pictures of him and Ivan Cuk hands side by side and Ivan has similar length but thicker fingers and palm, He has normal hands on a super human body

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Carl is 6'10 360lbs so very strongman-esque proportions, Whats strange is that his hands aren't huge, I have pictures of him and Ivan Cuk hands side by side and Ivan has similar length but thicker fingers and palm, He has normal hands on a super human body

Wow. That's very interesting. I remember Ivan stating his hand size once I forget exactly, maybe 7.75"? I remember it was a little bigger than mine (7.25") but not by much. Maybe it's possible that overall forearm muscle bulk can make up for shorter fingers/lever length.

There's outliers for everything but if we generalized that people are usually proportional so taller people would likely have longer fingers, in that reality taller/big hand people would have longer but less dense muscles, while shorter/smaller hand people would have shorter muscle length but more bulk/muscle density.

This is from the answers section of a biomechanics (Neumann, chapter 3) textbook, it's highlighted crazy cause it's in one of my study documents lolol:

An increase in the number of sarcomeres in parallel is associated with skeletal muscle hypertrophy and increased contractile force.

An increase in the number of sarcomeres in series, in contrast, is associated with an increase in the speed of contraction of the muscle fiber.

So by that logic it would somewhat explain why shorter muscle length but with more muscle fibers laying in parallel to each other (such as my 14+" forearms on 7.25" hands) could potentially be stronger than longer fingers with longer muscle length but less dense forearm muscle (such as on a tall lanky guy), who might contract the same muscles faster, but overall have less power output, even with longer fingers.

Food for thought

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Wow. That's very interesting. I remember Ivan stating his hand size once I forget exactly, maybe 7.75"? I remember it was a little bigger than mine (7.25") but not by much. Maybe it's possible that overall forearm muscle bulk can make up for shorter fingers/lever length.

There's outliers for everything but if we generalized that people are usually proportional so taller people would likely have longer fingers, in that reality taller/big hand people would have longer but less dense muscles, while shorter/smaller hand people would have shorter muscle length but more bulk/muscle density.

This is from the answers section of a biomechanics (Neumann, chapter 3) textbook, it's highlighted crazy cause it's in one of my study documents lolol:

An increase in the number of sarcomeres in parallel is associated with skeletal muscle hypertrophy and increased contractile force.

An increase in the number of sarcomeres in series, in contrast, is associated with an increase in the speed of contraction of the muscle fiber.

So by that logic it would somewhat explain why shorter muscle length but with more muscle fibers laying in parallel to each other (such as my 14+" forearms on 7.25" hands) could potentially be stronger than longer fingers with longer muscle length but less dense forearm muscle (such as on a tall lanky guy), who might contract the same muscles faster, but overall have less power output, even with longer fingers.

Food for thought

I think if i remember correctly Ivan has 8.4 inch ands or something of the like, He's measured them a few times so i can assume carl has a similar measurement, Which by some people's metric is big but for someone 6'10 thats fairly small, I'm not sure of the biometrics or physics of it per se as i'm one of those tall guys with long hands and less muscle bulk per square inch

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I agree with this statement but Carl has monstrous forearms and his whole body too but the hand is a little average 8.5 inches for 6 and 10