15 year old Jason Horne closed #2

David Horne

A good nights training by Jason tonight. 15/5/01

He's been very close to closing the #2 gripper for a few weeks now. But tonight he clamped it shut, to become possibly the youngest to acheive this feat, at 15 years and 84 days old. Not only did he do this, but he also pulled 40kg on the one hand pinch lift, and 150kg on the one hand lift (using the Dinnie ring). He's using the Dinnie ring right now as he's going to attempt to lift one of the Dinnie stones in July or August. He'll definately lift the small one which weighs 145.6kg, but still has a bit to go to hoist the large 187.3kg stone.

All for now, David

Like father...like son!

:biggrin:

Congrats to Jason!

David,

First of all, tell your son .... CONGRATULATIONS!!  O.K., now tell him the bad news - I think he's got some competition.  Joe Kinney's son is a few years younger, but that kid is setting the grip world on fire!  He just might be the youngest to close the CoC #3 at the rate he's going!  Darnnit!  All these young kids showin' off their grip prowess!  I don't think that I was nearly that strong when I was their age!  Good to see that the grip world has future superstars like your son and Joe Jr. !!!

Sybersnott

Yes, it is good to see the future stars coming through. As I've said before, the're out there. I've got two other sons, so Jason is already looking over his shoulder.

David

Guest Kit Old Dude Sonesen

Well done, Jason!  Keep pushing the old man.  LOL!

David:  You mentioned the Dinnie ring...Could you post the dimensions of the ring so those of us who dream of visiting the stones can practice?

Thanks!

OD

Kit,

I wrote a great article for the first issue of Iron Grip, including how-to, and the dimensions. That's not a plug by the way. But if you decide to try the stones, you really need to read this.

The height to the top of the ring

Large stone 21 1/2"

Small stone 19"

Ring circumference

7 1/2"   large

5 3/4" x 4 3/4"  small

Hope this helps, David

Guest Lilgripper

Congrats to your son. I just closed the no. 2 but I am 16 and will turn 17 in a month or so but I'm really hoping I can be the first 17 year old to close the no. 3. I think I would be anyways, there's been two eighteen year olds right? any 17 year olds?

Mr. Horne

We talked a bit on the old board, but my username was purplegrip.  At the time I was 14 and was closing the #2.

Congratulations to your son. These young grip masters ... I guess what you need to do is to keep them from losing the natural grip strength they have when they are born. The grip-n-squat seems to be every kid's favourite exercise. Imagine if they all kept it up!

Youngun, How's your progress going on the #3? Can you remember how old exactly you were, ie. 14 1/2, 14 3/4? What's your name-you can email that to me if you don't want to broadcast it. What's your pb's in other grip related feats?

Solan.  My father's got a very good grip, and so have my other boys. But, Jason has also trained his grip since he was five. He wanted to, so once a week he would do pinchs, or squeezing bathroom scales, curls and some free standing squats, stuff like that. Then at about 12-13-y-o, I allowed him to train more than once per week. He trains 2-3 times a week right now.

Well he has kept it up!

Lilgripper. Go for it! Set Jason a target.

Thanks all, David

Guest scotte

Well done Jason!

Good luck with the Dinnie Stones and I'll see you at the Iron Grip championships in July.

You'd better make the most of things David 'cos at this rate he'll be as strong as you in a few years.  

(Edited by scotte at 10:35 am on May 16, 2001)

Guest scotte

Dave

Its been nearly two years now since I last saw Jase.  How big is he these days?  What sort of routeins does he do to train his grip/general training.  His vertical bar lifting was excellent (about 1.5 times b/w), hows it coming along?

Scott,

I don't think you'll recognise him. He's 6'6" now. He hasn't done the Vertical bar for a long time. Why don't you give him an armwrestle in July?After the contest of course.

David

Guest InchDisciple

My son who just turned  16 did the following at 15 .Closed the # 2 , Rolling Thunder 200 #   2 3/8 '' thick handle dumbell 174 # ,  deadlift 365 # , bench press 275 # He weight trains at school and at home when he feels like it . If he was serious he would do great things but I don't push him as I think training should be fun .

Congrats Jason.  I can only wish that I even knew about this kind of stuff at your age.  That's great work.  Enjoy and good health to you!

Hey Youngun- is that Limp Bizkit in your sig. line?

BC.

Guest scotte

Good God David what the #### have you been feeding him on!  He must have only been 5 feet 10 when I last saw him and hes only 15.  I didnt finish growing until I was about 17.  Mind you, things must getting a tight squeze.  Doors, beds, cars, basements, tables, garages, clothes.  Oh well, at least he wont get picked on at school and he has a great frame to pack some serious muscle onto over the next decade.  No wonder Nick's scared!

It will be really great to see him again.

If my memory serves me correctly, the last time I challenged him to an arm wrestling match Jase won 10 out of 10 left handed and about 6 out of 10 right.  At about the same time Liz beat me 8 out of 10 left handed and we were about even right handed.  (Just to let everyone know, Jase was about 13 at the time and Liz 15 years old.  I was 23 and weighed 13 stone)  Im no strength legend but it just shows you how gifted those two youngsters are.

I'll give Jase an arm wrestle Dave, i like a challenge, but it may just be a little one sided.

Speaking of arm wrestling, are you still doing some?  It would be interesting to see how many gripboard members also like  to 'wrestle.

Scott

P.S dont forget to say 'hi' to Jase for me Dave

Tell your son way to go, and to keep up the good work!

Mr. Horne

At the time I was 14 2/3.  As far as grippers I have been doing twenty pound strap holds with the #2 and I am getting real close with the #3.  I think I could pull about the same amount with one hand as Jason, but the weight would have to be on racks.  His pinch grip is better as I am still working on 35's.  I am also working on a 35 pound plate curl and 10 pound sledge to the nose.  I have been training the grippers for about seven months and started other training a few weeks ago.

So youngun, how old are you now? You are doing exceptionally well. I think you and inchdisciple's son are going to push Jason to even greater heights. But guys come on be proud of your name, tell me who you are and I'll include your feats in the next issue of Iron Grip. If you don't fair enough. But I'm not going to put a user name in!

Train hard, David

Mr. Horne

Ok, my name is Jesse Murray and I turned 15 last wednesday.  That would be awesome if you mentioned us in Iron Grip!  It's hard to keep a high level of intensity in your training, so hearing about other people's progress really helps to stay motivated.