I bent a nail!

Guest Avi

Ok, I'm pretty excited, even though this is a breakfast-type accomplishment for most of you.

After reading Tom's posts regarding my awe at his nail bending, I thought I'd give it a try.

I have TINY wrists, and they've always been weak - but lately I've been working them hard, with wrist curls and plate-curl-holds.

Anyway, I went out and bought some 16d nails, which looked mightly impressive to me! I figured that within a few months of trying I could bend one.

So imagine my shock when it bent easily the first time :)

So I went and bought a box of 20ds, and managed to make a slight bend in one. It got to a sticking point which I can't overcome at this point, but I'm proud nevertheless.

The 20ds were galvanised - does that make it harder or easier?

I *will* get that 60d sooner or later.

Oh - does anyone bend any nails with bare hands (ie; no towel)?

Avi

Man thats great!

I to have very small wrists. I've only been trying to bend nails for a month or so.

I have been using differnet lengths of 1/8 inch steel and finishing with 8D finishing nails. The finishing nails are short so theyre are a little more difficult. Im going to Lowes to get some bigger steel today the others are getting easy.

What kind of nail was the 20d??? and yes I believe that galvanized would be a little harder.

Good luck to ya

Ouch

Guest woody36

Avi,

Congratulations,now you've started keep the

momentum going.If you haven't already get some

60d nails and push against them in an isometric

fashion,give it all you've got for a few reps.

It will give you confidence on the smaller nails and you

may surprise yourself and put a kink in it.

Forget you have small wrists it has nothing to do

with your ability to bend,don't doubt yourself and in

a short while the 60d will be yours.

keep up the good work.

Woody.

ps,Use pads when bending usually the pain on your

hands/fingers makes you give up before your strength

does.Tom Black goes bare handed on some steel

but is hands have become calloused over time.

Thanks guys. The 20d package said something about "hot", which from my days studying materials science I would guess refers to it being worked while hot.

This is weaker than cold-worked metal. It was also galvanised, which is a tin coating if I remember correctly.

I hadn't thought of getting 60ds and pushing against them, but it's an idea. I'll give it a shot.

Avi

Avi - Congratulations! Please don't diminish your accomplishment - many people wouldn't have been able to bend that 16d nail!

As usual, Woody's advice is excellent! While I've bent nails barehanded, I certainly don't recommend it for beginners. It's far too easy to bruise or injure your hands. One point that's often overlooked by beginners is the importance of getting the right cloth to protect your hands. Does it feel like the nail in the cloth is going bruise your hands? If so, then use a little more cloth. Does it feel like you can't get a firm grip on the nail? If it does, then you're probably using too much cloth. Since a cloth acts as a kind of buffer that results in more pounds of pressure needing to be applied to bend the nail, less cloth is better because it let's you exert more pressure against the nail. The cloth(s) should only cover the ends of the nail - leaving the center of the nail uncovered. I suggest that you experiment with different cloths and find the one that works best for you.

A 60d nail is 6" long and 1/4" thick. I agree with John Brookfield that if you want to bend 60d nails, then developing the technique to bend a 60d nail is crucial. So, try using softer pieces of metal 6" long to deevlop this technique. Use 6" X 1/8" pieces of steel, or 6" X 1/4" pieces of aluminum, or brass - depending on what you can bend. Developing this technique teaches your body the movements needed for a 60d nail bend. By repeating these movements, you'll continue to strengthen the same muscles you'll need when you finally do bend that 60d nail!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Ouch - Best of luck with the bigger steel. Stay focused and you'll be bending 60d before you know it!

Strongman

Guest Danjo

Great job!

The thing I use when bending nails is a pair of work gloves. I used to wrap nails with a cloth, but using the gloves makes it more convenient. Note: I do not wear the gloves, I simply use them to grip the nail with, much like you would use pot holders.