A New Black Log

Tom Black

I just posted a new Black Log.  I'm still a week behind, but I'm in the process of writing the next one.  I'm also working on two articles describing my recent experiments with the grippers.

The Black Log

Great pinching Tom!  Very impressive.  I also liked your detail this week on gripper usage.  Reading your posted workouts really helps motivate me.

BC.

Thanks,  I just checked my own log again because I wrote that a week ago.  You know, I wish that I ordered the list of things to do after you get consistent on a gripper (maybe I'll go tweak the article).  It seems like there may be a slight amount of progression that can be done with the 3 things on the list.  The first thing to do is timed holds, this is easier than a second rep, of course, because the hand doesn’t have to move and crush the gripper again.  I’d roughly estimate that you have to be able to hold a gripper at least 5 seconds before you could do another rep.  The second thing on the list should then be the second rep, and then the straphold would be last in the progression.  Using myself as an example, I’ve been able to hold the Master closed for  ~5 seconds (I think 4/29), but couldn’t rep it.  Yesterday I tried a second rep on my last set with the Master and missed the second by 1/16”, and maybe could have done 2 full reps earlier in the workout.  I definitely don’t feel I could do the straphold yet.

My pinching lately has been surreal, I have to thank the 3” handled Turk in working my wide grip, and catapulting me ahead on this.  I'm also using a lot more chalk!

That's interesting Tom because I would place the strap hold second, ahead of a second rep.  Maybe because I've always only trained for 1 rep maximum strength, I don't seem to be very good at reps.  I have more confidence in performing a strap hold than in doing a second rep and I'm sure that that plays a part in it.  Also, because a strap is in the way, you really can't completely close the gripper and that may play a part too.  

I also noticed in watching the clips of Steve and Heath closing the #3 that getting my COC into position is much more animated and involved.  Once my hand is wrapped around those handles I can't open my hand more that about 1.5" from handle to handle without my finger positioning being compromised.  I'm not even sure that this would count as a full second rep by most others' standards.

BC.

I guess I won’t edit the log; whatever is best for the individual should be the deciding factor.  For me, I need a lot of control over the gripper to do even a light straphold.  My main problem is the angle of my hand when I normally close a gripper.  I have my hand about 80-degrees from the vertical.  In a good straphold the hand is basically perpendicular to the ground, and thus I have to do strapholds at an angle I’m not used to, making them harder.  I think a lot of people who do strapholds have somebody else place the strap in, but usually I’m by myself when I do these.

Actually, wouldn't twisting the wrist make the force required less in a strap hold?  Component of the angle times to the weight downward?  The force gets a side component that is taken by the wrist?

I guess I should be writing about the angle of the gripper, the gripper is placed perpendicular to the floor, the strap placed in and then lifted.  I don’t think holding at an angle is easier, other than that you don’t want the strap to touch your palm, that make’s it easier.  I think you may be wrong about the component of the angle, wouldn’t that be if the weight was lifted at an angle?  Consider a 45-degree leg press, the weight is moved at an angle, and I think the actual weight lifted is Weight*sin(45).  That’s not the case with the straphold; the weight is going straight up.

I know exactly what you mean as I have begun only a couple of weeks ago to perform my strapholds with the gripper perpendicular.  I do notice that it is a bit harder than having my hand in its usual angled fashion so I must have been supporting the strap with some of the side of my hand.  I suppose there is really nothing wrong with that either as long as one is consistent with the angle of the hand and strap placement.

Hmmm... now I'm thinking that I should just go back to the way I was doing them before- it sure was a more natural hand position.  Progress is progress after all.

BC.

I was trying to picture it without drawing it out.  I think you are right Tom.