2022 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

On 2/13/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

I'm open to helping out.

Do you still have any? I'd buy one when I see you on the 18th?

VENUE ADDED!

Chad Gustin and Ben Edwards will once again be teaming up to host a King Kong venue in Lecompton, Kansas!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

VENUE ADDED!

Frank and Addam Chaudoin will be hosting a King Kong venue in Vancouver, Washington!

• Like 4

MULTIPLE VENUES ADDED!!!

Four additional promoters have confirmed their participation:

Mike Wilfong will host a venue in Pullman, Washington;
Steve Millard and Jemery Everding will host a venue in Carbondale, Colorado;
Zach Mullins will host a venue in Aberdeen, North Carolina; and
Thomas Larsen will host a venue in Arendal, Norway!

Now up to 25 venues!

Want to participate, but there isn't a venue close to where you live? Contact me if you'd like to receive information about hosting.

• Like 4

I apologize in advance for a post on this thread that is not what you call upbeat, but I cannot help but to think about how there will not be a King Kong contest in the Ukraine this year. Ukraine, the winner of 2021’s number one venue. Ukraine, which had more overall participants AND overall Women competitors in 2021 than any other venue. Ukraine, home of the hardworking and strong contest leader Ivan Pupchenko. It saddens me to know that they will not be represented this year at KK.

i wish we could do more than “Hopes and Prayers” for them. Perhaps we can dedicate the 2022 King Kong to them in their honor. Perhaps a tee shirt honoring them can be produced. I know money is tight for many, but I am willing to donate some money for the cause, whether it goes for aid to a worthy organization, or whether it is to pay for some tee shirts going to Ukrainian gripsters that won’t be competing this year.

i think about Ivan all the time, see that he has not “logged on” to the Forum since a few days after the Invasion began, worry about him, and hope he is okay.

The 2021 Performance by the grip athletes from the Ukraine gave us an advance look at just how strong, resilient, and how special they are. Now, the whole world knows.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I apologize in advance for a post on this thread that is not what you call upbeat, but I cannot help but to think about how there will not be a King Kong contest in the Ukraine this year. Ukraine, the winner of 2021’s number one venue. Ukraine, which had more overall participants AND overall Women competitors in 2021 than any other venue. Ukraine, home of the hardworking and strong contest leader Ivan Pupchenko. It saddens me to know that they will not be represented this year at KK.

i wish we could do more than “Hopes and Prayers” for them. Perhaps we can dedicate the 2022 King Kong to them in their honor. Perhaps a tee shirt honoring them can be produced. I know money is tight for many, but I am willing to donate some money for the cause, whether it goes for aid to a worthy organization, or whether it is to pay for some tee shirts going to Ukrainian gripsters that won’t be competing this year.

i think about Ivan all the time, see that he has not “logged on” to the Forum since a few days after the Invasion began, worry about him, and hope he is okay.

The 2021 Performance by the grip athletes from the Ukraine gave us an advance look at just how strong, resilient, and how special they are. Now, the whole world knows.

Ivan remains hopeful that he will still be able to host a King Kong venue in Sumy. He’s unlikely be able to travel to multiple cities like he has done in previous years. There are obviously many considerable challenges. He expects he may have a better idea in September. He confirms that many Ukrainian gripsters continue to train in the hopes that there will be a contest.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Ivan remains hopeful that he will still be able to host a King Kong venue in Sumy. He’s unlikely be able to travel to multiple cities like he has done in previous years. There are obviously many considerable challenges. He expects he may have a better idea in September. He confirms that many Ukrainian gripsters continue to train in the hopes that there will be a contest.

Respect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Thank you so much for posting this. Talk about resolve. I admire this group of gripsters more than you can imagine.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 3:49 AM, nickthetick said:

Do you still have any? I'd buy one when I see you on the 18th?

I do not. You'll have to reach out to the Otevoima group. Sorry. 

Pocket Dyno is sponsoring King Kong again this year. This time, Grip Pocket Dynos will be given to the champions of the 10 weight classes with the most competitors! Thanks, Pocket Dyno!

www.pocketdynos.com

• Like 4

VENUE ADDED!

Ben Cossey will be hosting a King Kong venue in Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia!

• Like 3

VENUES ADDED!

Will Giuliani will be hosting a King Kong venue in El Segundo (Los Angeles), California! He will be running the contest on October 15th.

PLUS

Ivan Pupchenko confirms that he is hopeful that he will be able to host one or more venues in Ukraine!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

One month away and here are my predictions. Good luck to all - what a great event put on by the organizers! 

Top 3 Overall Men if they enter-

Tanner Merkle, Adam Glass and Jedd Johnson. What a trio and easily 3 of the top 10 All-time gripsters(never heard of that word until I got into grip or using the calculator thousands of times to convert KG to LB, LOL)

This year I think 1-2 men get over 130 LB on the Flask

Edited by Kluv#0
correction
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ClassyName said:

Aloha!

Is RSVP needed, or can I simply show up on game day?

Thank you in advance!

With gratitude,

Dan

It would likely depend on the venue. Where might you be interested in competing?

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

It would likely depend on the venue. Where might you be interested in competing?

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm looking to attend the Wyalusing, PA venue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ClassyName said:

That's Jedd Johnson's venue, so he can tell you how he does it, but I think it is helpful for promoters to have some idea how many will be attending.  Sometimes there is a discount for signing up early or a late fee for not registering in advance, but that also depends on the venue and the total fees aren't usually very much anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

That's Jedd Johnson's venue, so he can tell you how he does it, but I think it is helpful for promoters to have some idea how many will be attending.  Sometimes there is a discount for signing up early or a late fee for not registering in advance, but that also depends on the venue and the total fees aren't usually very much anyway.

Thanks, Vinnie!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, ClassyName said:

PM Sent

Just want to let everyone know that the Lecompton, KS venue for King Kong 2022 hosted by Ben Edwards and myself will be competing 1 week early again this year on Saturday October 22nd, 2022 at 10:30am - please PM me so I can get a head count and I can send you more detailed directions to the venue - should be a blast again!!

Chad Gustin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1