My impression of Standard Grippers from Cannon Powerworks

Kluv#0

I bought Standard Cobalt and Standard Tungsten(I needed a paperweight) and grippers came on Saturday and gave them a go this A.M. Standard Cobalt is awesome and it felt very similar to Gripboard MM2 as far as strength, feel in hand, spread of handles. Cobalt has better knurling. Standard Tungsten,  just makes me appreciate the big dogs even more, that can smash this level- I literally could not move 1/4" after a sloppy "set". I would recommend without a doubt buying this new line of grippers by Cannon Powerworks. I have a couple of cuts on pinkie and palm that I have been dealing with along with pretty hard gripper workout Friday- my excuses for not closing:)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice!  You must have thought MM2 was easy - I have a 164 Cobalt I have not yet been able to close.  I do like the Standard Grippers.  They remind me of a cross between COC and Tetting, but maybe with GHP gnurling ... in any event, they seem on par quality-wise with all the big brands.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Nice!  You must have thought MM2 was easy - I have a 164 Cobalt I have not yet been able to close.  I do like the Standard Grippers.  They remind me of a cross between COC and Tetting, but maybe with GHP gnurling ... in any event, they seem on par quality-wise with all the big brands.

Yes, standard grippers are high quality no doubt and could be contest gripper’s without hesitation. MM2 for most mortals is a stout gripper - as you know being certified too- and it was hard for me for sure. I devoted time back in 2018 to get stronger on grippers and when strength was there I signed up and closed. If I had to guess MM2 is 162-163 which is pretty good MMS for us old dudes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Yes, standard grippers are high quality no doubt and could be contest gripper’s without hesitation. MM2 for most mortals is a stout gripper - as you know being certified too- and it was hard for me for sure. I devoted time back in 2018 to get stronger on grippers and when strength was there I signed up and closed. If I had to guess MM2 is 162-163 which is pretty good MMS for us old dudes.

Yeah MM2 is close to 162-163, a pound either way.  My best rated close is 160 but I doubled that a week or so before MM2, and then I found MM2 very hard and just made it (after cutting my setting thumb opening the box!).  So I'd say it is a couple pounds more than the 160 was.  I have never been able to close my 165 COC 3.5 or my 164 Standard.  Maybe soon, but now I am working on ccs.  Getting very consistent with RGC 143 (just did 7 singles today), so I need to start trying it with my 145.  I may need to buy a 147 or 148 then, and creep up.  If and when I can do my 152 consistently I will inquire about the cert.

• Like 2

Good close! Gripper looks nice too. Wish I could get my hands on those. Customs would eat me alive (I'm Greek). I'd love to have the whole line for my collection and a review video. Oh well, maybe some day! Again, good job! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terry Gripperaddicted said:

Good close! Gripper looks nice too. Wish I could get my hands on those. Customs would eat me alive (I'm Greek). I'd love to have the whole line for my collection and a review video. Oh well, maybe some day! Again, good job! 

Customs would not be kind to wallet for sure. Standard grippers are very nice indeed. I actually missed by 1/32” but I Thank you for reading  post and watching vid.

0835DF4D-CF47-425A-93DC-8589002B06E8.png

• Like 5

Very good attempt and great write up on them, i agree with what you say. I have the standard Platinum and Iron. Both seem exellent quality the knurling is as good if not a touch better than GHPs. 

May i ask what kind of spread yours have? 

My iron RGC 137lbs is 3" or 76mm 

My platinum RGC 119lbs is 3 1/4 or 82mm!

Cpw told me that for some reason all the platinum strength came out extra wide for some reason. For an only 119lbs RGC 82mm is very wide and so hard to set. Its even wider than both my coc3s what are 78 and 77mm.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Very good attempt and great write up on them, i agree with what you say. I have the standard Platinum and Iron. Both seem exellent quality the knurling is as good if not a touch better than GHPs. 

May i ask what kind of spread yours have? 

My iron RGC 137lbs is 3" or 76mm 

My platinum RGC 119lbs is 3 1/4 or 82mm!

Cpw told me that for some reason all the platinum strength came out extra wide for some reason. For an only 119lbs RGC 82mm is very wide and so hard to set. Its even wider than both my coc3s what are 78 and 77mm.

Your grippers are wide for sure. My Cobalt (165) 2.88” Tungsten(193) 2.76”  Thanks and best of strength to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Your grippers are wide for sure. My Cobalt (165) 2.88” Tungsten(193) 2.76”  Thanks and best of strength to you.

Thanks. I dont mind the irons width but this extra wide platinum at 3  and 1/4" is crazy. Its all good though as it will make my coc 2.5 what is 76mm seem narrow in comparison and muxh easier to set.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:36 AM, Kluv#0 said:

Customs would not be kind to wallet for sure. Standard grippers are very nice indeed. I actually missed by 1/32” but I Thank you for reading  post and watching vid.

0835DF4D-CF47-425A-93DC-8589002B06E8.png

Ah, that fooled me! Thanks for the detailed pic. Gripper seems pretty wide between the handles. And yes, customs really make things very hard. I have to accept the fact that unless somebody brings them to Europe, I'll never get my hands on some of the US brands 😐

Best of luck with your progress 💪

• Like 2