LEVAN SAGINASHVILI VS DAVE CHAFFEE

Rick Browne

47 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Dave looked unusually small to me. And I don’t mean when he was next to Levan, I mean before I saw them together. Did not look at filled out as usual. 

I thought the same 

7 hours ago, Rick Browne said:

Chafee was CRUSHED   

Yup I expected it especially when Dave came in 125 KG same as his usual and didn't take much of Devon's "pancakes". IMO the only two to pose a slight threat to Levan is the pancake enhanced Devon and Vitally. But then again they should gain 15 to 20 KG more to stand a chance.

• Like 2

Chafee mass could not budge Levan's mass 🙂.  As a fact I did not see Levan's hand and forearm move from the start position at all when Chaffee hit. Chafee said after the match that he was trying to get Levan into the strap. Chafee did not have the time to blink twice before he was pinned. Much less get into a position to have the strap

• Like 1

No mass in the world would have changed the outcome because he couldn't get out of that hand. Levan's hands are incredibly strong and BIG!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

He was way smaller... that’s the point. He didn’t have enough mass..

I see your point. Maybe, if Chaffee had the same mass as Levan there could have been a different outcome for Chaffee (maybe). I still, would have bet against Chaffee though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

If he had more mass in particular the hand/wrist  and  The forearm it definitely would have helped. Levan has those acromegaly type hands that are just so hard to overcome because of the size and just uncomfortable grip. Just so hard to overcome that mutant like bone structure. 

That is the same thing as saying it would have worked if he was stronger :D

No shit!

Doesn't matter if he had gained weight he would not have grown bigger and stronger hand by doing that in such a short time.

I know it's painful for you to realize the americans is not the strongest in armwrestling anymore :D

Will be exiting to see what the new bigger Devon can do against Levan tho.

8 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Mass moves mass.... 

True and that goes saying if Dave was 250 KG of muscle the outcome would be different. But can he be? Levan can always get bigger, unlike Dave. Like what Rick said, even if Dave was the same size as Levan, I would still chose Levan. Another point is Levan has bigger hands and way stronger. In AW if a "smaller" guy has stronger wrists and grip he will surely beat the bigger guy. See what happened to Larry VS the 70 KG Indian AWer. The Indian won based on his superior wrists and technique. And then you have Brzenk VS Cleve Dean. How big was Cleve back then? 200+KG? John beat him twice out of the 3 matches they had.

19 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

That is the same thing as saying it would have worked if he was stronger :D

No shit!

Doesn't matter if he had gained weight he would not have grown bigger and stronger hand by doing that in such a short time.

I know it's painful for you to realize the americans is not the strongest in armwrestling anymore :D

Will be exiting to see what the new bigger Devon can do against Levan tho.

How I interpret this cringe binge of a post-

Fist of fury basically says: no! It wouldn’t matter if Dave was way bigger. He still would have lost! He didn’t have enough time! But if Devon gets or is way bigger than his usual… in a similar short amount of time.. like he did with MMT!… oh boy!…. Yeah! If Devon gets bigger he’ll beat Levan though!. ….But that doesn’t apply to Dave. just so we’re clear! Oh!… wait!…there’s more!… not only did I just demonstrate that I have the ability to generate atomic bomb level brain fart contradictory. Publicly. I also just wanted to say that I presume to know what you think. that an American not being #1 is devastating to you. And that it’s a painful realization.”

lol!…. No. The only painful realization in this thread is that your Orwellian double speak mastery logic rivals that of a man arguing which end of a turd is the clean end.

what can I say….. I’m impressed.. lol… I guess I just became a fan!

On a real note, I am pretty surprised that Dave didn’t win a single match. That really is mind boggling. Levan has hit stops by guys weaker than Dave. Not quite match losing stops… But still, there are a couple that have stopped his momentum mid match in recent years. Making him, technically, not unstoppable.

what’s even more mind boggling than that is Dave not even attempting to hook Levan. Not 1 time! And I’ve yet to see any valid reason why seemingly no one dives in on him. Levan hasn’t beat any strong hookers with a hook. It seems to me that a hook would be the most plausible way any elite puller might stop him at this point. And the hook is Dave’s wheelhouse. The hook is exactly how Dave and John both got around Denis’ enormous hand and wrist. Why he didn’t even attempt that lane is the oddest factor of the entire match.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Dave looked smaller than usual. But he definitely looked like a normal size guy standing across the table from Levan.

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Why he didn’t even attempt that lane is the oddest factor of the entire match.

I watched MMT reaction to the match and he said he saw how Dave was setting up for hook but opted out of it: hope timestamp works else its from 6.45

I know nothing about armwrestling so I have no clue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I watched MMT reaction to the match and he said he saw how Dave was setting up for hook but opted out of it: hope timestamp works else its from 6.45

I know nothing about armwrestling so I have no clue.

Thanks for posting. I disagree with Michael on that.. (for anyone that doesn’t want to watch the video) Michael basically says “Dave was setting up to hook, then changed his mind because he thinks Dave felt danger”. I disagree because that implies Levan is stronger in hook than he is outside. And I have not seen any evidence that a hook is levans strong lane.

not hating on Levan. Only pointing out that when it comes to Levan pulling elites he hasn’t shown us anything in a hook. Also not saying that it changes anything if his hook is indeed his weak lane.. because what he’s doing is working.

im just simply baffled Dave didn’t even attempt it.

maybe Dave will pop up in an interview somewhere soon saying why. Who knows.

• Like 1

This match cements the fact that Levan, and probably also Vitali, has reached a new level where no previous puller has ever been at. Before the match with Chaffee there was alot of uncertainty because neither Levan nor Vitali beat Pushkar or Cyplenkov before they unfortunately left the game, Pushkar through his terrible accident and Cyplenkov through his health issues. So Levan and Vitaly only faced each other and a few of the top guys, such as Trubin and Bresnan. Chaffee was the first true definitive test of where Levan is. Chaffee is on par with both Pushkar and Cyplenkov. And on a 7x7” pad with PAL rules, Chaffee is stronger than both Devon and MT. And Levan just ran through him. Chaffee couldn’t hook without getting toprolled. He couldn’t slip. And when Levan clearly offered him a hook in round 5, Chaffee changes direction at the go and tries to fool Levan with a sudden toproll, yet still couldn’t manage. I agree that Chaffee’s best choice was to shot for a hook. The problem was however that he would only manage a hook if Levan intentionally let him into a hook. Why Chaffee didn’t go for the hook in round 5 is indeed an odd choice. Maybe he felt that Levan’s center table strength was too great and that he wouldn’t be able to hang with Levan in a hook and thought a surprise toproll was the best way to go, who knows. It would’ve been interesting to see how they fared against each other in a hook but It doesn’t really matter though. Because it was obvious from round 1 that Chaffee would never be able to set a hook with Levan unless Levan himself offered it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, David_wigren said:

This match cements the fact that Levan, and probably also Vitali, has reached a new level where no previous puller has ever been at. Before the match with Chaffee there was alot of uncertainty because neither Levan nor Vitali beat Pushkar or Cyplenkov before they unfortunately left the game, Pushkar through his terrible accident and Cyplenkov through his health issues. So Levan and Vitaly only faced each other and a few of the top guys, such as Trubin and Bresnan. Chaffee was the first true definitive test of where Levan is. Chaffee is on par with both Pushkar and Cyplenkov. And on a 7x7” pad with PAL rules, Chaffee is stronger than both Devon and MT. And Levan just ran through him. Chaffee couldn’t hook without getting toprolled. He couldn’t slip. And when Levan clearly offered him a hook in round 5, Chaffee changes direction at the go and tries to fool Levan with a sudden toproll, yet still couldn’t manage. I agree that Chaffee’s best choice was to shot for a hook. The problem was however that he would only manage a hook if Levan intentionally let him into a hook. Why Chaffee didn’t go for the hook in round 5 is indeed an odd choice. Maybe he felt that Levan’s center table strength was too great and that he wouldn’t be able to hang with Levan in a hook and thought a surprise toproll was the best way to go, who knows. It would’ve been interesting to see how they fared against each other in a hook but It doesn’t really matter though. Because it was obvious from round 1 that Chaffee would never be able to set a hook with Levan unless Levan himself offered it.

Amen!

Hey, as a random interesting side note I want to point something out..

I too believe Vitali is likely the only guy out there that may stop Levan in the near future. What interests me about that is that while I believe Vitali has a great shot at throwing a wrench in Lavans gears, I also believe Devon can possibly get stops on Vitali and either get in a great match with him, or possibly pin him. But at the same time, I don’t see Devon getting a single pin on Levan.

I know that sounds contradictory as all get out.. but those who pull understand that type of phenomenon. Elite Armwrestling champ rankings aren’t finite. Case in point Pushkar (personally my all time favorite super) completely manhandled Brzenk the last time they pulled. But Brzenk has also beat every single guy that beat Pushkar after he became one of the top ranked pullers.

same with Brzenk beating MMT seemingly with relative ease, only to lose to Pushkar, who MMT had beat in near the same few years.

sometimes it just goes that way.

personally, I don’t care who the current champ is. Because history in the last 4-6 years tells us that the #1 spot is subject to change relatively frequently. Depending upon who shows up with more fire in their belly that day. I dig knowing there are 5-6 guys in any weight class at any given time that can shake the ranking up. It makes for much more entertainment value, and way funner stakes.

• Thanks 1

Here in this english translated vid, Vitaly says near the end that (quote) "Big weight equals more power" (unquote). The arm wrestlers that want to have a go at Levan, will need an enormous gain of size. Devon will need bigger pancakes? 🤔. If what Vitaly says is true, by the look of him here,  he is nowhere near big enough to be successful against Levan. Needs to chain himself to the Squat rack

Edited by Rick Browne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some random airline workers opinion on the match. 

• Haha 3

Guy knows quite a bit about arm wrestling, wonder if he's ever thought about competing

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:06 PM, Joe Sullivan said:

He’s a smart man... goes right back to what I said originally. “Mass moves mass“. 

I agree. Levan has a thicker bone structure which allows him to be massive. Not an expert in arm wrestling but I love the sport and do watch it systematically. 120lbs weight difference is insane. 

Especially when most of it is muscle. And when you have the technique to back it up, it makes it even harder for anybody to move this man. 

Devon could easily get to 300lbs. The man is 6'5" and I don't think he'd lose much speed. He toyed with Todd in their last match. 

Also, I'd love to see a Rich Lupkes in his prime go against Levan. That would be spectacular. 

Edited by Terry Gripperaddicted

1 minute ago, Joe Sullivan said:

This was back in 2018 when Justin Major brought me to his house before a grip competition at Eric Roussin’s. I was not interested in arm wrestling yet at this time. He was a very nice guy.

D88C7C5A-CE30-4B7A-A073-286E04C5A798.png

Oh dude you've met him? Sweet!! Yeah I bet he's very tall. Your forearm is massive by the way 💪

12 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yeah I’ve met him, my friend Justin major is one of his training partners and it took me to his house. He lives about four hours from me. Him and his wife are very hospitable, welcomed me into their house..

That is awesome man. Living in Greece has its disadvantages when it comes to meeting people from the strength universe. I was lucky to live in Iceland and train at Magnús Ver Magnússon's gym for 8 years though. Met some great athletes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

You would think there would be more strength athletes in Greece with Hercules and all.... 😉 

It's a very long story... Most Greeks prefer the beach and hanging out. I'm serious. All summer we were melting in the gym at 105-110 degrees. It was empty. Just beach and coffee all day. I like coffee but I wanna achieve a few things in my life lol. Yet, we do have some strong people here. Good fighters too. It's just that strength sports are a bit of a cult if you know what I mean. 

7 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I actually think he is above 6’5. I went to his house and I am 6’3.5 without shoes and he appeared 6’6 to me. Very lanky and tall. 

Yup you ate correct. I too think he might be 6'6" Screenshot_20211021-210740_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f426d8096018bd0d65a10bdc46367dac.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, Joe Sullivan said:

I’m very surprised about that. I would expect the opposite with the rich heritage of strength legends like Hercules and Milo of Croton and of course the Greek warriors of long ago AND with the advent of the Olympic Games coming from there. 

Nah man... For real if you go lift stones near the beach here people think you're insane haha... It's all about beach muscles. Just so you can have a perspective, most people have never even touched a heavy gripper. I get people messaging me on IG asking where did I get those lol. 

Not to mention the endless "watch it you're gonna hurt yourself" remarks at the gym everytime I add a second plate on the bar hahaha.... 

• Like 1