Ronnie Coleman close challenge - as suggested by Ivan Cuk

Alex K

Hello fellow Gripsters! @Cannon's awesome idea to try and replicate the famous "Kinney" set close has shown some very interesting results with some strong closes. As suggested by @Ivan Cuk, there is another famous close attempt on the internet - the one from Ronnie Coleman trying a CoC #3 with a very unusual setting technique.

So I figured, why not start another interesting close challenge with similar conditions :) 

The rules are simple: replicate Ronnie's set and close the hardest rated gripper you can, and submit your videos here. I think everyone would be extremely curious to see what is really possible with such a set!

The main features of the challenge:

• Really deep gripper handle position in the palm
  • The pinkie fully lays on the opposite handle of the gripper in the closed position
  • Try to land as close as possible to famous Ronnie's close attempt ;) 

Link to @Paul Knight's video of Ronnie Coleman attempting the CoC #3: 

image.png

• Like 1

The tips of  Ronnie’s fingers completely obstruct the gripper from closing because it is so far back in his palm. I have long fingers too and if I place the palm side handle that far back in my hand, I can’t even close a COC trainer. My fingers just get jammed in between the handles. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

The tips of  Ronnie’s fingers completely obstruct the gripper from closing because it is so far back in his palm. I have long fingers too and if I place the palm side handle that far back in my hand, I can’t even close a COC trainer. My fingers just get jammed in between the handles. 

Very interesting remark... how large are your hands roughly? I suppose I have rather medium sized hands (around 7.5inches / just above 19cm), but my fingers are far from reaching the area in between the handles. But I can imagine the finger-to-palm-ratio plays a huge role too. 

40 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

There was a thread just like this a few years go, if memory serves me... OR it morphed into it..

You are absolutely right! There's been a thread from 2019 by @Alawadhi on that topic, but the close attempt videos sadly aren't available as of now. What's quite interesting is that the discussion in the thread switched to another Kinney CoC4-Debate :D I think @Alawadhi would also like to see some good Ronnie-Closes by the community ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

You are absolutely right! There's been a thread from 2019 by @Alawadhi on that topic, but the close attempt videos sadly aren't available as of now. What's quite interesting is that the discussion in the thread switched to another Kinney CoC4-Debate :D I think @Alawadhi would also like to see some good Ronnie-Closes by the community ;)

Here is that topic. I don't know how the topic transferred into believers and non-believers of God :S 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Very interesting remark... how large are your hands roughly? I suppose I have rather medium sized hands (around 7.5inches / just above 19cm), but my fingers are far from reaching the area in between the handles. But I can imagine the finger-to-palm-ratio plays a huge role too. 

Around 8.2in. But my I have short palms and really long fingers. Maybe I’ll shoot a video

• Like 2

I have around 8” hands and my fingers curl over and get jammed inbetween the handles even with a regular MM set if I’m not mindful of it. I can TNS but I have to juggle the gripper a little so the fingers don’t curl round too far.