Vulcan gripper

Steve

Got my Vulcan gripper today with the Crome spring,decided to get it after some advice it might help me with my setting and sweep.I’m impressed by it but hard to set,level 9 feels a bit like a #2.5 but difficult to tell,I know with practice I can make my sweep and set a lot stronger with this gripper,does anyone have an idea what level the #3 would be on the crom spring, I know it’s vastly different on the Vulcan but it would be interesting to find out from you guys if you know,cheers fellas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Got my Vulcan gripper today with the Crome spring,decided to get it after some advice it might help me with my setting and sweep.I’m impressed by it but hard to set,level 9 feels a bit like a #2.5 but difficult to tell,I know with practice I can make my sweep and set a lot stronger with this gripper,does anyone have an idea what level the #3 would be on the crom spring, I know it’s vastly different on the Vulcan but it would be interesting to find out from you guys if you know,cheers fellas.

I wouldnt say you can really compare with that spring, especially not deep set, it's just too hard to set. I would recommend getting an orange training spring as this feels much more like coc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the reply Paul will order one.I see your close on you tube was it level 20 with a crom spring insane strength.cheers keep well.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

I agree with Paul, you can't really compare. It's so different. But I can say this, if you can close level 15 chrome spring you're easily going to be able to set any COC#3 gripper in position and you will have a good chance to close some of them, maybe not a hard one but definitely a light #3. 

When you go up in strength on the vulcan it's more and more about setting strength, if you use the chrome spring. If you're using the orange spring it's less about setting (although still harder than TSG's). Highest setting 11-11 orange spring is harder than the hardest COC#3 I've tried, but only by a small margin. But a lot of it has to do with the harder setting. If you're setting is stronger and your crush weaker you might have a different experience.

The orange spring with bands added gives a good feel.

Here is a google doc someone made a while ago sorry to say I cannot remember who collated it to give them the credit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PMSgj83TaBymt4W3XtpSIdHPXKYOYRoaGmTkVq7QeOo/edit#gid=0

That’s an excellent conversion table I get an idea of the levels now for both springs,yes and I agree the set on the crom  spring is hard I’ve just ordered an orange to get used to the feel of it a bit better and practice my setting cheers guys.

Tried the Vulcan today can’t get over how hard this thing is too set with the crom spring will have to take a couple of days off my hand is burnt out.

Its always hard to put a new toy down 😀

Maybe just train with the Vulcan once a week using other grip tools for a couple of workouts in the weeks training. (I would hate to see you get an injury when just starting out with it) as don't forget that they do work slightly different so hard to compare 100% to a TS gripper. If you are also getting the weaker spring mixing the two in the training session will help as you will find they hit different parts of the close.  Some band work after is not a bad option to get some balance

2 hours ago, Busa said:

Its always hard to put a new toy down 😀

Maybe just train with the Vulcan once a week using other grip tools for a couple of workouts in the weeks training. (I would hate to see you get an injury when just starting out with it) as don't forget that they do work slightly different so hard to compare 100% to a TS gripper. If you are also getting the weaker spring mixing the two in the training session will help as you will find they hit different parts of the close.  Some band work after is not a bad option to get some balance

Too true I’ve been finding it hard to put it down my hand feels destroyed,I ordered an orange spring to make the set less harsh,finished off with a credit card on the #2 which I closed,I’m going to rest my hands for a few days to get used to all the stress.cheers busa stay safe and well.

Got the orange spring today much easier to set this will improve my setting which is what I’m after great piece of kit

• Like 1

Got a good closure on Vulcan 8-8 orange spring today think it’s roughly an easy #3 but all I know this gripper it improving my setting a lot glad I got it.hope everyone is keeping safe and well on the board.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:51 AM, Busa said:

The orange spring with bands added gives a good feel.

Here is a google doc someone made a while ago sorry to say I cannot remember who collated it to give them the credit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PMSgj83TaBymt4W3XtpSIdHPXKYOYRoaGmTkVq7QeOo/edit#gid=0

Am i reading this wrong or is this saying a level 27 with crom spring is 3.82 on coc scale? Obviously its night and day higher than that. Then is says 3.13 for level 21 which is obviously not the case at all. It does then say medium #4 next to it though which id say is accurate since im slighlty better at the vulcan than coc. Doesn't make any sense though.

From what I remember from when it was posted this table is put together from a few different views on where the spring fall and the rating. The problem is the way the springs overlap and on David Horne's site every spring is mentioned in relation to another as this is a percentage it starts off hard to be 100% correct and then due to the way the springs work it becomes even harder. Even more the higher up you go in resistance & also placement of the spring.

I think if used to try and work out the order if you have a few springs is the best option in using this table. I'm still in the process of making a decent RGC measuring machine myself so cannot confirm how accurate the table info is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Busa said:

I'm still in the process of making a decent RGC measuring machine myself

I'm doing the same. How are you planning to build it?

On 3/5/2021 at 3:37 AM, pancho_grip_lift said:

I'm doing the same. How are you planning to build it?

I want to use a crane scale with  a mechanical actuator pulling on the gripper to get a reading instead of the balancing weights option. With the current lockdown its just in the drawing stage. Made it a long term project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busa said:

I want to use a crane scale with  a mechanical actuator pulling on the gripper to get a reading instead of the balancing weights option. With the current lockdown its just in the drawing stage. Made it a long term project.

It's a great idea. The mechanical acutator sounds hard to find. I've seen a couple of guys rating their grippers with that system, and it looks pretty accurate. And also it requires less space than the balancing weights rgc style.

I did try to buy one from Russia but with everything going on and the means of getting him payment, trying to find a way to courier it, just could not figure out how to do it. When travel eases maybe a holiday to Russia and put it in a suitcase.

I have found it impossible to find anything on the internet have used every key word search I can find relating to such a component. I have even asked in engineering forums. Did consider buying a lathe at one point 😄. Instead have gone the easier path and putting pen to paper and designing one from the ground up. Would be nice to chat with a toolroom engineer about the plans but with the pandemic, things are moving slowly.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Busa said:

I did try to buy one from Russia but with everything going on and the means of getting him payment, trying to find a way to courier it, just could not figure out how to do it. When travel eases maybe a holiday to Russia and put it in a suitcase.

I have found it impossible to find anything on the internet have used every key word search I can find relating to such a component. I have even asked in engineering forums. Did consider buying a lathe at one point 😄. Instead have gone the easier path and putting pen to paper and designing one from the ground up. Would be nice to chat with a toolroom engineer about the plans but with the pandemic, things are moving slowly.

I want to do the same, buy the one from Gripper mania, but is extremely expensive to ship it to Chile (South America). But I'll save some money to get it.

I guess they built the pieces, I also never saw a piece like that at amazon or ebay. 

There are other options with a couple of tools (a load cell, a hand winch, the 1 inch strap, a spacer if needed, and something to attatch the gripper and the hand winch to both ends) and no weights needed, but it requires a lot of space, I could not fit it in my apartment. 

Edited by pancho_grip_lift