Grip Events for Official Records Lists

Jedd Johnson

The GSI/NAGS Database has lots of events.

What do you think should be the credentials of an event to be considered for the official lists?

Please post below and please stay on topic.

Thank you

• Like 2

I just think any implements should be widely available and as identical as reasonably possible to make comparison a little more reliable. 

I also think maybe it should be widely used in competitions before being added to the list, to prevent people from making up their own implement just to get records. 

• Like 1

I don't know how hard it is to make the lists, but it seems obvious to me that if there is a GSI/NAGS-sanctioned comp, then whatever events are contested at that comp should have the stats uploaded.  If an event is only contested once and thus the "record" is against almost no one, then so what?  Not much of a record, but you have to start somewhere, and you will never have any new implements if they have to already be on the list lol.

It’s not hard to create additional lists. Perhaps the question should be “what should be required for an individual event to be sanctioned by GSI?” I agree that the implement should be easily obtainable (i.e. in current production). I also think written rules should exist for the event. I’m very interested in this topic and look forward to reading many opinions about it.

• Like 2

I feel that as long as it's not some obscure 1 off implement that someone makes in their basement then It should be included. As long as clearly defined and easily implemented rules can be followed then I would say allow any implement from any manufacturer.  

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

In the case of a substantially unique implement I would like the acceptance to be easy, but place it on a two year trial. If the community does not embrace it by including it in a giver number of comps within the trial period the list should be either discarded or archived. The community would decide if it was too expensive, dangerous or just plain no fun. There are a few existing lists that should be archived.

With implements that are possibly considered matured, GSI should create criteria similar to an IPF oly bar with specified dimensions, rolling resistance, materials, etc. A list of vendors would be approved by GSI to fabricate the GSI rolling handle. The vendors could be in any country. Let’s pick one and go with it. I don't see how tracking more than one rolling handle would help anyone except a specific vendor.

Items built to certain Specifications sounds like a great idea.  Metric and inch versions (and records) may be necessary due to materials availability world wide.

What are you guys talking about? I cannot hold a gripper closing competition in my country. Because "the grippers have been calibrated incorrectly, using the wrong discs, weighed on the wrong scales." I suspect that the people who calibrated are also "wrong people"..

Edited by Ivan Pupchenko
  • Like 1

As already mentioned, the implements would have be widely available and be standardized, generally consistent, or "calibrateable" (ie. grippers).

Equipment which is subject to an upgrade .or redesign (specifically Ironmind's Rolling Thunder handle) is somewhat problematic and would need to be declared as part of the comp rules at the time.  It would be fun to compete using one of the older style handles (I have one still n quite good condition). . . .but you couldn't really or fairly consider such lifts for records.

I can't really think of too many other grip toys that currently fit that last point. . . . .

On 12/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ivan Pupchenko said:
What are you guys talking about? I cannot hold a gripper closing competition in my country. Because "the grippers have been calibrated incorrectly, using the wrong discs, weighed on the wrong scales." I suspect that the people who calibrated are also "wrong people"..

Can we discuss what you mean here a little more? 

On 12/16/2020 at 11:39 AM, WestSlope said:

In the case of a substantially unique implement I would like the acceptance to be easy, but place it on a two year trial. If the community does not embrace it by including it in a giver number of comps within the trial period the list should be either discarded or archived. The community would decide if it was too expensive, dangerous or just plain no fun. There are a few existing lists that should be archived.

With implements that are possibly considered matured, GSI should create criteria similar to an IPF oly bar with specified dimensions, rolling resistance, materials, etc. A list of vendors would be approved by GSI to fabricate the GSI rolling handle. The vendors could be in any country. Let’s pick one and go with it. I don't see how tracking more than one rolling handle would help anyone except a specific vendor.

Absolutely love the idea of a GSI handle. Other good points made as well.

14 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Can we discuss what you mean here a little more? 

Hi Jedd!

Above there was sounded idea about possibility of producing unified rotating handle in different parts of the world in order to reduce the cost of holding competitions, with results claiming to be included in the list of records. If you mean this, I said that even simpler things than production of such a device cause misunderstandings. Although I remember the example of production in the USA Horne's stub by Andrew, it was a great idea and an opportunity ... If you meant the impossibility of holding a grippers closing competition in Ukraine - I was talking about a competition what I held in 2015 with grippers calibrated by me and Igor Kupinsky. Now a lot of time has passed, and I will not find those letters that Igor re-sent me (perhaps he will join this discussion and supplement or correct me - if he sees fit), but as far as I can remember their literal content - the gripperes were incorrectly calibrated, or unknown how, using discs of unknown weight, weighed on an uncertified scale. Therefore, this was the second and last competition in this discipline in my country. I see no reason to hold competitions with results that are not tied to the results of other athletes in the world, respectively - without competition moment. If the grip community in Ukraine were more numerous, then we could "stew in our juice", competing with each other. But unfortunately - as in other countries, as in the USA, the number of enthusiasts is not large in my country, and this neutralizes principle of competition as such...