Road to closing the CoC3 CCS

Emmanouil Marizas

Few days ago i finaly closed for the first time the CoC3. I try to close it with a credit card too, but i am only a few milimeters away everytime i try. Should i continue train and focus in credit card sets? Any advice will be helpful!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am just a beginner so what I am saying is mostly information learned here and little experience. Really the work of the CCS is not very useful to progress in CCS. Developing maximum strength in MMS is the big key, if you are super strong in MMS your CCS will inevitably improve. It is true that some people who only do MMS have very low performance in CCS but it seems that it is mainly a question of hand morphology, something against which we cannot fight. These people even by training a lot in CCS would not have had significantly better results than by doing only work in MMS. Personally, I am not at all gifted in MMS but very comfortable with CCS, despite this even in my case working the CCS does not serve me much except can be flexible my tendons. Some say it very well: doing CCS just allows you to assess whether you are able to obtain certification because this requires CCS. In general there is a 20lbs difference between the maximum MMS and the maximum CCS for almost everyone, even those who only do CCS for fun from time to time ... I have concluded for the moment. that the work of the CCS is not very useful but doing the CCS to assess its level regularly is motivating when we aim for certification.

• Thanks 1

For me the work in CCS is too exhausting for the hand and requires to train less often which slows down the progression. I did it at the very beginning and my hand sometimes hurt a lot, I thought it was a good sign, that my hand was working in great amplitude and that over time it will get used to ... Absolutely not I have made almost no progress in two months when I was a total beginner and therefore likely to progress even by doing anything, as soon as I discovered MMS my progress in CCS was immediate!

• Thanks 1

Training MMS is a good tactic for most people (i.e average people). For some people with large hands it's not necessary.

In your case it might not be necessary to train MMS at all if you can lift 200 lbs+ on the RT (providing it's a good handle that spins well). You might already have the finger and thumb strength needed to complete the cert. You just need to train specific for it so you get good at it. And build up a base so that you can do it any day of the week.

Training MMS to get stronger is good but it doesn't work as well for everybody, nor is it needed in all cases. Totally depends on hand size and how strong your hands are to start with.

You also need to take the variance in grippers in to consideration. What #3 have you closed, how wide is the spread of the handles and how hard is it at the close? You need to be able to close the hardest #3 you can find to be 100% sure you will succeed with the certification.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, Maiche 25 said:

Hi I am just a beginner so what I am saying is mostly information learned here and little experience. Really the work of the CCS is not very useful to progress in CCS. Developing maximum strength in MMS is the big key, if you are super strong in MMS your CCS will inevitably improve. It is true that some people who only do MMS have very low performance in CCS but it seems that it is mainly a question of hand morphology, something against which we cannot fight. These people even by training a lot in CCS would not have had significantly better results than by doing only work in MMS. Personally, I am not at all gifted in MMS but very comfortable with CCS, despite this even in my case working the CCS does not serve me much except can be flexible my tendons. Some say it very well: doing CCS just allows you to assess whether you are able to obtain certification because this requires CCS. In general there is a 20lbs difference between the maximum MMS and the maximum CCS for almost everyone, even those who only do CCS for fun from time to time ... I have concluded for the moment. that the work of the CCS is not very useful but doing the CCS to assess its level regularly is motivating when we aim for certification.

Thank you for the very usefull information. I think i will start training MMS more often!

• Like 1