Closed the #2. Need advice on next step.

Jman 101

Closed the COC 2 yesterday as well as the GHP 5 after learning from the advice on this board!  Seems like a big jump to the 2.5 or GHP 6.  Do you all recommend an intermediate step?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Jman 101 said:

Closed the COC 2 yesterday as well as the GHP 5 after learning from the advice on this board!  Seems like a big jump to the 2.5 or GHP 6.  Do you all recommend an intermediate step?

Thanks

I would highly recommend the Grip Genie level 4, it's a perfect fit for that gap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grip genie 4, Heavy Grips 250 or start filing a coc2/ghp5

• Thanks 1

I used a hard HG250 to bridge the gap between the 2 and 3. There was no 2.5, ghp, grip genie etc. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, king crusher said:

I used a hard HG250 to bridge the gap between the 2 and 3. There was no 2.5, ghp, grip genie etc. 

We had nothing back in my time.  I would get a #2 and shave it to go beyond the range.   And, do strap holds with your #1.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

We had nothing back in my time.  I would get a #2 and shave it to go beyond the range.   And, do strap holds with your #1.  

Back in my time I walked to school 10 miles uphill....both ways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Back in my time I walked to school 10 miles uphill....both ways.

Both of what I suggested are more effective than getting a tweener to train with IMO. Maybe for setting a new PR single, yeah.

8 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Both of what I suggested are more effective than getting a tweener to train with IMO. Maybe for setting a new PR single, yeah.

They probably are. I always thought of shaving a gripper but never wanted to deface my grippers. I should probably get a new 3 and shave it down though. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, king crusher said:

They probably are. I always thought of shaving a gripper but never wanted to deface my grippers. I should probably get a new 3 and shave it down though. 

Different folks have different opinions on the usefulness of the "beyond the range" versus just the increase in RGC, but one constant seems to be the fear of ruining a gripper. @Cannon has said multiple times to use and abuse your grippers. Unless you have something rare like a Tetting, grippers are pretty cheap in the long run. There's not really a "wrong" way to file a gripper either, as long as you are making the gripper harder. 

That being said, I've never been disappointed in a filed gripper from CPW. He does an amazing job and the gripper always comes out with a beautiful mirror shine on the filed part. If you want a gripper in a specific range and there is nothing in stock, the easiest and most surefire way to get there is with a filed gripper from CPW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

What is a strap hold?

3 minutes ago, Jman 101 said:

What is a strap hold?

• Thanks 1

I don’t think I got anything out of strap holds...I guess if you’re consistently doing them, it will kick in some strength. I wasn’t consistent enough. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Different folks have different opinions on the usefulness of the "beyond the range" versus just the increase in RGC, but one constant seems to be the fear of ruining a gripper. @Cannon has said multiple times to use and abuse your grippers. Unless you have something rare like a Tetting, grippers are pretty cheap in the long run. There's not really a "wrong" way to file a gripper either, as long as you are making the gripper harder. 

That being said, I've never been disappointed in a filed gripper from CPW. He does an amazing job and the gripper always comes out with a beautiful mirror shine on the filed part. If you want a gripper in a specific range and there is nothing in stock, the easiest and most surefire way to get there is with a filed gripper from CPW.

I'm kinda a purist and wouldn't shave my oldest grippers but I'd be open to shaving a new one. 5sec with my angle grinder would have it done easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

If you can close a shaved 3 you may as well sign up for MM1.  It is like an average 3.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

If you can close a shaved 3 you may as well sign up for MM1.  It is like an average 3.

I could have done or been extremely close to MM3 already

I have a MM3 replica rated 172 and have taken that down to a couple mm. I'm not at that level currently though.

Mm1 I could do now easily. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I have a MM3 replica rated 172 and have taken that down to a couple mm. I'm not at that level currently though.

Yes, I believe that was my point!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I have a MM replica but not sure if it’s a 1,2,3? It’s harder than my #160 no.3 

3 hours ago, slazbob said:

I have a MM replica but not sure if it’s a 1,2,3? It’s harder than my #160 no.3 

They say MM and what number it is on the bottom

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

They say MM and what number it is on the bottom

There isn’t one. This is from  early 2000 . I remember the guy mentioning it was a replica of MM but can’t remember...2, sticks in my memory but I’m not sure. There is a hole on the bottom of one handle...think it was for washers or setting help

5 minutes ago, slazbob said:

There isn’t one. This is from  early 2000 . I remember the guy mentioning it was a replica of MM but can’t remember...2, sticks in my memory but I’m not sure. There is a hole on the bottom of one handle...think it was for washers or setting help

Best thing to do would be to have it rated. As Cannon discussed in detail in this post, the Mash Monster grippers were not a perfect set and replicas varied a lot in their strength levels. Even if it is a MM2 replica it could be anywhere from 148-176 based on prior grippers that have been rated.