Form critique please

hareboll

Hello, I was hoping somebody on here could critique my gripper form/setting/closing technique in the video below. For context, unrated #2.  My best close is a 115 rated cpw hybrid for a few reps from a deep set, I feel like given my other strength (~600ish deadlift, 300 clean) that something must be wrong with my technique.  I’ve watched squeezus and jedds video on gripper setting but I bet I missed something.

11 minutes ago, hareboll said:

Hello, I was hoping somebody on here could critique my gripper form/setting/closing technique in the video below. For context, unrated #2.  My best close is a 115 rated cpw hybrid for a few reps from a deep set, I feel like given my other strength (~600ish deadlift, 300 clean) that something must be wrong with my technique.  I’ve watched squeezus and jedds video on gripper setting but I bet I missed something.

Good to go 👍

Doesn’t look like you’re doing anything wrong just overestimating your ability 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AdamTGlass said:

Good to go 👍

Doesn’t look like you’re doing anything wrong just overestimating your ability 

lol so you’re saying I really am just that weak 😂

not what I wanted to hear but thank you 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hareboll said:

lol so you’re saying I really am just that weak 😂

not what I wanted to hear but thank you 

You are the one saying that’s weak. I’ve passed a 112 gripper to hundreds of men as a bar tender and watched them not close it . Maybe you’re guilty of not acknowledging what’s strong?🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 4

Looks more solid than when I try and set grippers. One piece of advice that was given to me is to keep the gripper closer to your body when you're setting it, that way your leverages work better to your advantage.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Looks more solid than when I try and set grippers. One piece of advice that was given to me is to keep the gripper closer to your body when you're setting it, that way your leverages work better to your advantage.

Yeah keeping it closer will allow you to get a bit more strength into the set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hopefully said:

I think strength with grippers is a rather unique strength. You could be a super beast in the big 3 but still not perform that well initially with grippers it seems. A skinny guy that not even works out could smash a 2 first try while a really strong powerlifter could struggle with it. Rather interesting imo. 

Yea I’ve handed grippers to 500+lb benchers and seen them struggle, but in one of the recent threads people started throwing around “every adult male should be able to do a 3” and it got me thinking I need to fix something haha.

thank you all for the advice so far

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hareboll said:

Yea I’ve handed grippers to 500+lb benchers and seen them struggle, but in one of the recent threads people started throwing around “every adult male should be able to do a 3” and it got me thinking I need to fix something haha.

here comes the 🐟👋to attack the idea that they shouldn’t be so 

40 minutes ago, hareboll said:

Looks like a great set! Im okay with grippers definitely not the best but looked good! In my opinion doing grippers for reps is pointless but hey what do i know 😎

• Thanks 1

I feel this is a very informative video done by the legend Paul Knight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I feel this is a very informative video done by the legend Paul Knight.

Best set Video ever made. Paul probably has the best set in history by the way. He does an amazing job explaining and showing it. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, hareboll said:

“every adult male should be able to do a 3”

I think a lot of people misunderstand this. They aren't saying you should be able to walk up to a #3 without previous serious gripper training or strength training experience and close it. They are saying a healthy male who is serious about strength training and has a strength training program they follow consistently (power lifting, oly lifting, cross fit etc) should eventually be able to obtain a #3 MMS close with a dedicated and intelligent gripper training program once taught how to set and how to train for it. and I do agree with that statement  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, hareboll said:

That’s BS...  not every male can close a 3.... don’t listen to that.

Anybody could, with 10 years of intelligent training. Not that every guy is gonna close it in a few weeks of playing around, that would be absurd. 

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Anybody could, with 10 years of intelligent training. Not that every guy is gonna close it in a few weeks of playing around, that would be absurd. 

10 years? That’s kind of an arbitrary number. I doubt anyone is gonna spend the time 10 years trying if they can’t in that long a time...and even then there is no guarantee. Some will, some won’t, but to say all who spend 10 years trying is just not true in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

10 years? That’s kind of an arbitrary number. I doubt anyone is gonna spend the time 10 years trying if they can’t in that long a time...and even then there is no guarantee. Some will, some won’t, but to say all who spend 10 years trying is just not true in my opinion. 

If that was the time frame someone gave me id quit grip training..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

If that was the time frame someone gave me id quit grip training..

Heck yea!  I’m like WHAT??? 10 years for a gripper.... no way Jose. It’s time to pack it in....

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I agree,10 years is totally random. I just wanted to emphasize that I don't think anybody can or should be able to just walk up and do it. People spend more than that lifting huge weights in other lifts so it's not totally unheard of. I even think I can do it, and I've never closed a 2.5 even with the deepest set imaginable. 

• Like 1