Winter axle fun

king crusher

Anyone want to post axle lifts this could be a thread for them?

I need to get better on this axle. Problem is I don't get to this gym as often so this is only the second time I've used it since 2004 lol. Yeah, 16yrs ago.

Anyway i still didn't weigh it so I'm guessing it's like 20lbs but no idea. I WILL weigh it.

If its 20lbs then I failed to finish 320lbs today. Then got 3 reps with 300.

I had no chalk on so I'd like to think I'd add a bit with chalk. Although this axle is pretty slick with no knurling so maybe chalk wouldnt help? Possibly the liquid kind?

• Like 5

Well done! 

Fun thread and since axle will be one of my focuses for the coming 2 months ill chime in my last workout: 

Homemade axle with no knurling and duct-tape collars. Thanks to @Jedd Johnson for the great YT video. 

So I've been playing around with different techniques and the last workouts the semisumo with wide grip has been superior to anything else. Or so I thought. 

Did singles on 168kg first, second and third where heavy. Could barely get it to lockout before going down. The 4th set i put my hands more like regular sumowidth, I managed to hold it for maybe 1 second which was a lot better then the earlier sets. So for the fifth set i thought I test conventional since the narrow grip width was better and managed a really good lift with a good hold! 

• Like 4

@king crusher painted bars like that can definitely feel greasy if you don't have any chalk. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, at the very least you could use some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the bar and your hands to remove any oils. Chalkless friction on a smooth surface can be pretty good if the surface moisture is just right and having good purchase with your thumbs would have probably let you lock out that lift at 320. If they do allow chalk, use that.

• Like 2

I'm gonna do what I used to do when I was deadlifting heavy and that was to sneak a small container of chalk in Haha. 

My right hand was holding tough for the lift but my left opened up, I watched it back in slowmo 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lennix said:

Well done! 

Fun thread and since axle will be one of my focuses for the coming 2 months ill chime in my last workout: 

Homemade axle with no knurling and duct-tape collars. Thanks to @Jedd Johnson for the great YT video. 

So I've been playing around with different techniques and the last workouts the semisumo with wide grip has been superior to anything else. Or so I thought. 

Did singles on 168kg first, second and third where heavy. Could barely get it to lockout before going down. The 4th set i put my hands more like regular sumowidth, I managed to hold it for maybe 1 second which was a lot better then the earlier sets. So for the fifth set i thought I test conventional since the narrow grip width was better and managed a really good lift with a good hold! 

Also! Any technique pointers or obvious weaknesses is kindly appreciated:)

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Also! Any technique pointers or obvious weaknesses is kindly appreciated:)

I co-sign this 

• Like 1

My best axle was a year ago with a farmer's handle bar. Not sure it's quite the same as a real IM axle. Unfortunately it's the only thing my gym has, so it's the best thing I have leading up to my next comp with the IM axle.

In contrast my recent attempt with a IM axle didn't go as well. I hit 145 kg as my last warm up but then missed 165, 160, and 155 kg. No idea how The Arnold is going to go with a real IM axle.

• Like 2