New CTD-style Challenge - advanced level

camz

C3D - Carl's Three Double-Feats. Finally my best grip feat up to now!
A grip challenge I set to myself: a double INCH lift, a double CoC #3 TNS close and a double 20kg York shallow dish plate hub lift combined in less than 60 seconds!

I had this in my mind since I completed IronMinds Crused-to-Dust-Challenge (CTD or C2D) in 2016, but with all the bending and bouldering I never found the time to really go for it. According to IronMind their CTD covers three benchmark grip feats: 90kg on the #RollingThunder, 20kg on the IronMind #Hub and a CC-close of a #Captain-of-Crush #2 gripper. But to be honest: the #2 is way too weak, to be a "benchmark". Back in the day, with the old slippery hub, the 20kg hublift was the hardest of the 3 feats. But nowadays, with the very cool new hub model, 20kg are too easy also. So the CTD is more or less a Rolling Thunder certification, but a good goal to aim for nonetheless. Immediately after I did it, I thought about the "next level" with similar feats to test ones crush-, pinch- and thickbar-strength, but more leveled out.

For me, THE most iconic and most important grip feat, which really separates the men from the boys and has a great history also, is an INCH lift.

I am not a big gripper fan, but to table-no-set-close a #Captains-of-Crush #3 gripper (or higher), is something that impressed me, since I first learned about the CoCs.

For the pinch-event I picked a plate hub lift, to stay in line with IM's CTD. As the oldschool York plates are pure beautys and the hub lift is a classic benchmark grip feat also, the choice was easy! The shallow and deep dish plates have totally different hubs, but are in the same category of difficulty to lift. As I only own a pair of shallow dish plates, they made the cut for me. If you want to repeat this challenge, feel free to choose which plates suit you best. (York Fitness plates are not an option of course!)

I know that some guys out there train their thickbar game only with one hand and their crush only with their other hand. Which makes sense in preparation for a contest... maybe... BUT for me, if you want to master a feat and master it in the best style, you should be able, to perform it left and right. That's the reason I did my #3 cert left and right and the CTD also. And the king of styles is the double feat without a doubt! So my goal was to perform all three benchmark events (true benchmarks!) as double feats one after another in less than a minute.

As you can see, the C3D is some kind of an ADVANCED level CTD. I am sure, there is room for an EXPERT level CTD challenge as well. But this is in the territory for the mutants out there...
After half a year of dedicated training (I made the decision to go for it on my birthday last year), I was finally strong enough to finish this challenge last sunday! Fun fact: the double INCH lift in this challenge was DIL No. 50 in total for me!

Second clip is a "Double" for a double. First German to perform an Inch-Double-Lift for reps.
Double INCH lifts number 52 and 53 in total for me.

HeavyGripTools Inch80 and GladiatorPower Inch76.

Because #youcantfakestrength
#oldschool #oldschoolstrength #gripfeat #oldtimestrongman #grip #gripsport #gripstrength #griffkraftdeutschland #griffkraft #unliftable172 #Underground #UndergroundGripGermany #gripsportig #INCHlift #doubleINCHlift #hublift #thomasinchdumbbell #thisweekingrip

If you like this challenge, feel free to post your vids here!

• Like 10

Incredible grip strength Carl💪🦁💪 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Incredible grip strength Carl💪🦁💪 

28 minutes ago, Grip Of The North Star said:

Very impressive. 😤

Thanks a lot, guys!

Absolutely incredible!! This is that next level stuff RIGHT HERE! Where did you get that Inch trainer to the right of you during the actual Inch lifts?

• Like 2

I would go as far to say this is the most impressive combo I’ve ever seen done at once, with the TNS of the double 3s probably being the hardest of even the double inch. A few  can double inch but not a lot can even TNS one #3, never mind double. 

That's incredible but I wonder if there is ANYONE else who can do that multi-feat, let alone a more difficult one as you suggest one might conjure.  The right and left TNS of a COC 3 is monstrous.  I imagine anyone who can do that would have a decent shot at the other two components, but good luck finding even 10 guys who can TNS a 3 right and left at once.  Right?

Way beyond me.  Well, I might be able to do the hub feat on a good day, but the other two are way beyond me.  Impressive!

I agree on the C2D - it is the RT challenge.  Anyone who can do the RT for 200 should be able to kill 45 on a a hub and TNS let alone CCS a COC 2.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

That's incredible but I wonder if there is ANYONE else who can do that multi-feat, let alone a more difficult one as you suggest one might conjure.  The right and left TNS of a COC 3 is monstrous.  I imagine anyone who can do that would have a decent shot at the other two components, but good luck finding even 10 guys who can TNS a 3 right and left at once.  Right?

Way beyond me.  Well, I might be able to do the hub feat on a good day, but the other two are way beyond me.  Impressive!

I agree on the C2D - it is the RT challenge.  Anyone who can do the RT for 200 should be able to kill 45 on a a hub and TNS let alone CCS a COC 2.

10 guys who can Double TNS a 3? That’s being very generous, Vin. 

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I think Marco Buhl, Gabriel Sum are good candidates to do Carl’s amazing feats. Maybe Tanner, Gil and Morgan Choi from U.S. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I said good luck finding 10.  Pretty sure it'd be less.  Shamey, probably; Chez righty for sure but not sure about lefty, not sure how you are lefty but I've seen you do it righty.  Tanner maybe.  Morgan, and maybe some of the MM4 and up guys, but 2 hands is a real tough one and a lot of those maybes might be nots.  Hard enough with one's better hand!

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I said good luck finding 10.  Pretty sure it'd be less.  Shamey, probably; Chez righty for sure but not sure about lefty, not sure how you are lefty but I've seen you do it righty.  Tanner maybe.  Morgan, and maybe some of the MM4 and up guys, but 2 hands is a real tough one and a lot of those maybes might be nots.  Hard enough with one's better hand!

@bencrush has done a double TNS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Most I’ve ever TNS’d with my weak, much weaker left hand was 139 pounds. The low #3 that Jedd Johnson lent me. With my strong hand, 163. Maybe I can do 2  140s together? I don’t know. I’m in the process of a mostly calisthenics routine and only a few grip exercises and hiking 3-4 miles in the woods. I am going to lose the excess crap I’ve put on from grip and get back to my ripped self I was before. Not worth it to me to be in the 260s or above for this. If I maintain my strength, great! If not, I don’t really mind now Since  in my 40s and don’t want to have what happened to Riccardo  recently happen to me. 230s is what I am aiming for. Health and longevity is the key.

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s awesome! Any video! If so, I would love to see it!!

I remember seeing video of it.  I'll wait to see if Ben @bencrush chimes in.  But he is on the Gripboard gripper feats list, and there needs to be video evidence to get on it.

#3 double no set

Tommy Heslep
Chris James
Ben Edwards (Bencrush)
Paul Knight

Cesare Ricchezza

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I remember seeing video of it.  I'll wait to see if Ben @bencrush chimes in.  But he is on the Gripboard gripper feats list, and there needs to be video evidence to get on it.

#3 double no set

Tommy Heslep
Chris James
Ben Edwards (Bencrush)
Paul Knight

Cesare Ricchezza

Definitely not doubting him, just would like to see it if there is video.

Yep, I have done a double COC #3 TNS close. Unfortunately My old youtube got hacked and the video was deleted but here is a still from the video: I had to do it 3 times that day to get a still of this quality because I am a perfectionist and like leaving no doubt. 

#3 double TNS.jpg

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Edited by Chez
posted twice by accident

Carl - love the idea and fantastic display. 

I can do 2.5 of the challenge. Double lift easy, double hub pretty easy, never certain on lefty. Tns 2 #3’s - would really depend on the rating. 

Definitely a worthy challenge for 2020!

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Awesome!

Thank you very much!

On 1/24/2020 at 5:59 PM, jchapman said:

The double TNS was insane!!!

Thanks a lot! Yeah! Finally did not mess it up at the end! Missed it with my left 10 minutes before and the session before like 4 or 5 times.

Pretty interesting how hard a normally safe feat can feel, when you do 2 other hard but not max feats right before... 😕

On 1/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, WestSlope said:

What a fantastic display of grip superiority! I'm surprised that other vendors or even the Gripboard hasn't created challenges like this. Are you keeping up with hangboard training as well?

Thank you very much!

I only used a small hangboard-routine for a finsher the last couple of months, but will bring it back as we have set a bouldering trip to Fonatinebleau in April. And there will be A LOT more hangboarding this year again, as we want to make a trip to Bishop in October. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HandsofStone said:

Absolutely incredible!! This is that next level stuff RIGHT HERE! Where did you get that Inch trainer to the right of you during the actual Inch lifts?

Thank you very much, LJ! 

This Inch trainer is one of the best grip training tools I can imagine! It is a co-production of @Martin Kotte and @Horrido with the input of some other experienced grip guys and imitates the feeling of an Inch perfectly! 

• Like 2

When it comes to display the strength in grip, Carl can't surprise me. If he want it, he will do it with some preparation.

It's great to call him a buddy, but now he has to come back to bending! Martin, Daniel and I need him in the bending area!

Kalli, let us bend some big serious steel here in germany!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:57 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I would go as far to say this is the most impressive combo I’ve ever seen done at once, with the TNS of the double 3s probably being the hardest of even the double inch. A few  can double inch but not a lot can even TNS one #3, never mind double. 

Wow! Thanks for the kind words, big man! Very much appreciated!

That's quite interesting!

If I go by the time I had to invest for the single handed feats (not counting the 20+ years of rockclimbing/bouldering that I did before) it would be like this:

Inch left and right: Zero. I could lift it the first time I touched it.

CoC#3 more or less 4 months for a wide set left and right plus another month or two to adjust the CCS and the TNS. By that time all these rating numbers where a little bit obscure to me. I knew, that grippers can vary, but I didn't know, if mine was hard or soft. And I knew, that my cert try would take place on the German Grip Championships with all the strong guys like Gabriel and Marco watching. I didn't know them back then, but I certainly didn't want to look like an idiot. So I had the hope, that if i can TNS my gripper with my weaker left hand, I should be able to CCS a maybe harder gripper with my right. Plan worked out. Certed right and left. Had a cold and an otherwise hard week and was a little bit nervous in front of this strong crowd, so I CCSed, but not TNSed it.

York Shallow Hub: Can't remeber exactly. Maybe 4 weeks, but did some IM hubbing before.

If I take the time it took from the single feat to the double feat, it is totally different:

Double TNS: a couple of sessions. One explanation could be, that I normally don't train grippers at all, so the progress is pretty fast in the beginning. The Double TNS was the most solid of the three feats, so I decided to put in in third place.

Double Inch: The first DIL came pretty quick in 2018. But had my focus more on bending after that and I really had to struggle to get it back in 2019. So let's say 4 months. And i could lift it left (on a good day) and right (easy).

Double Hub: Maybe 3 months for the double, but super unsafe till the end! The reason i put this on first spot. In one session in December 2019 I missed it 10 times before it came up as a double. Single hand no problem. After that I missed it 2 times at the grippers...

On 1/24/2020 at 8:59 PM, Vinnie said:

Thank you very much, Vinnie! I really think there is room for harder combos! Probably not for me... @Jedd Johnson and Jesse (not sure, if he is here) have cleaned the Inch, Jesse performed a Double 25/25 plate pinch, Gabriel has TNSed a #3.5, @Florian Kellersmann performed a 70lbs plate hub lift (2 35 Marcys), Big Carl Myerscough has lifted the Millenium and cleaned the Inch also or the crazy stuff Nathan Holle can do... cool stuff like that one after another in 60 seconds!

On 1/24/2020 at 9:01 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Germany we have in chronological order:

Gabriel Sum

Marco Buhl 

me 

(Not sure about @Florian Kellersmann , sorry bro, can't remeber! Shame on me!)

Simon Mahalsky @Bodom

Double York:

Flo Kellersmann

Simon Mahalsky

me

(Gabriel Sum hates hub lifts *lol* )

Double Inch

me

Simon Mahalsky

with Gabriel Sum SUPER close and @Martinch also!

Edited by camz
spelling