Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Rebar are cheap and you should be able to find some that are in the right range for you.

I second this. I am known by many as a "gypsy" when it comes to saving as much money on bending. Rebar and nails will be your cheapest source of bending stock. Always buy nails in bulk.

If you want stuff in the range of red nail its best to find a local steel supplier that sells long rods of 8mm crs. The longer you buy the more steel for your buck. But you will have to cut it yourself which can be a hassle without proper tools.

For e.g. I've found a supplier which will net me less than 50c per 7" 8mm crs. 

Bolts are always more expensive so use them sparingly, or for the purpose of certs or comps. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

I second this. I am known by many as a "gypsy" when it comes to saving as much money on bending. Rebar and nails will be your cheapest source of bending stock. Always buy nails in bulk.

If you want stuff in the range of red nail its best to find a local steel supplier that sells long rods of 8mm crs. The longer you buy the more steel for your buck. But you will have to cut it yourself which can be a hassle without proper tools.

For e.g. I've found a supplier which will net me less than 50c per 7" 8mm crs. 

Bolts are always more expensive so use them sparingly, or for the purpose of certs or comps. 

Great I will definitely be looking into those!

Bent my first 1/4" x 7" sqr fbbc today! It's right at 2". Does it count? I think it should but I'm biased. 😉 

20211120_171528.thumb.jpg.210ea99ba9afe61859b0ef16f0a75a57.jpg

• Like 5

@jculpepperGreat bend!!!  The 1/4" Square is no joke, man.  I bent a Red before I finally bent a 1/4"x7" Square-FBBC.  Not sure what it was - maybe a ton mental.  After that I mowed through a lot of shorter 1/4" Square.  But I definitely remember it defied me until the first time I bent a Red, Bastard, AND Big Bastard IIRC.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bencrush said:

@jculpepperGreat bend!!!  The 1/4" Square is no joke, man.  I bent a Red before I finally bent a 1/4"x7" Square-FBBC.  Not sure what it was - maybe a ton mental.  After that I mowed through a lot of shorter 1/4" Square.  But I definitely remember it defied me until the first time I bent a Red, Bastard, AND Big Bastard IIRC.  

Yeah it was tough. I had to take a break from the Drill rod. I have been doing iso's the L DR and it was beating me up pretty bad. So, I tried it just to see how hard it was and I got lucky and it went down. That Red still seems like a 100 miles away though. 

Thanks for the support!!

• Like 1

I have told guys who are penny pinching (but still benders) to do what I have come to think of as "ration bending."  Ration your bending by doing the bend in stages.  But with the same piece of steel.  Kink it.  Let it sit some random amount of time.  Maybe 10 minutes.  Then if you want, you could trim the both ends a bit to make it harder to move farther from where you left it.  Then let it sit again once you get it to about 90 degrees.  Trim the ends again.  Or not.  Move it a bit.  Let it sit again.  

Ration bending can be done with different padding and styles of bending too.  If you're working on a bar barehand, just kink it as far as you can in a single sustained hit.  Let the bar sit a while.  Do some chores.  Come back to that bar and give it another barehand attempt.  If it moves, great.  Keep repeating the process of letting it sit (measuring every stopping point and writing it down, of course).  When you fail to move the bar on an attempt that signals to you that it's time to add a very small layer of padding to take another shot at that bar.  Wrap it in two squares of paper towel if you want.  Or a hanky.  Or a single Ironmind pad.  Keep repeating the same attempt and then eventual fail process.  Fail with that small layer of padding - then your next attempt you add another layer or go to a thicker single pad for the next attempts.  Until you finish it off.  Some may be able to "pyramid" this process by starting barehand, then add a few layers until it hits about 90 degrees, and then subtract layers on the final crushdown of the bar until maybe they are crushing that bar down barehand or with minimal padding.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jculpepper said:

Yeah it was tough. I had to take a break from the Drill rod. I have been doing iso's the L DR and it was beating me up pretty bad. So, I tried it just to see how hard it was and I got lucky and it went down. That Red still seems like a 100 miles away though. 

Thanks for the support!!

That Red is VERY, VERY CLOSE now.  How long has it been since you attempted a Red?  And how far did you get it before it froze?  I think you should take a nice rest of however many days gets you recharged and crash into the Red again and sign its death warrant.  🤬

I forgot to ask how long the 1/4"x7" Square took from start to finish.  

Just now, bencrush said:

That Red is VERY, VERY CLOSE now.  How long has it been since you attempted a Red?  And how far did you get it before it froze?  I think you should take a nice rest of however many days gets you recharged and crash into the Red again and sign its death warrant.  🤬

First I haven't tried a Red yet. I was working my way up the levels of Drill Rod. Maybe I should give it a shot this weekend. 

The 1/4" it was my first attempt ever and it Maybe took about a minute or 2. I typically record the first attempts to see how long it takes but I honestly didn't think I would finish it. So I didn't.  I have been getting stuck in the sweep/crush. I assumed the 1/4 would get stuck there too.

Is the CRS easier than drill rod? 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:33 PM, bencrush said:

Here you go @bencrush 

my 1/4" sqr. It's done in IMPs and leather. Looks like about 20 sec.

I took a run at the Red. It didn't fair as well. Still got some work to do but pretty pumped I put a dent in it. If you would have asked me when I first started I was going to get the Red I would have called you nuts. 

20211126_190845.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a pretty productive session - snapped a 137k grade 5 for David Horne’s Usain Bolt-Off, then PRed 5/8 at 23” (double wrapped) and tied a length PR (1/2 at 13”) but in single wraps this time. 

CA0F8F14-0390-4758-8E08-47D94AF5DE84.jpeg

• Like 3

That's some great braced bends @Tom Flesher

Today I bent a 6.5'' A2 bolt in one IMP. Really hard bend for me, happy that I made it.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

@Kev Paone just smashed a 8.8

He's gonna go for the cert next time we bend.

• Like 6

On 4/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, stranger said:

@Kev Paone just smashed a 8.8

He's gonna go for the cert next time we bend.

Your going to destroy it Kev!

• Like 2

@Kev Paone certification video for the 8.8

Screenshot_20220509-163231.png

• Like 7

This is crazy, I don’t know anything about bending, but it looks like fun

9 hours ago, stranger said:

@Kev Paone certification video for the 8.8

Screenshot_20220509-163231.png

Well done!!

• Like 2

Yesterday night I made my first ever bending cert attempt; @Horrido A2 bolt DU. Here is the bend itself: 

The first hit was a little bit clumsy, but got it ~90 degrees on my second hit (~14 secs in total). If somebody is interested in the full cert attempt video, here it is:

The attempt was accepted, and Jan replied really fast. Thanks again!

The full workout:
2x CRS (SS400 - low carbon) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
CRS (S45C - medium carbon) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
Horrido A2-70 bolt: stainless (303) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" or 0.315" x 7")
6x CRS (SS400 - low carbon) hex 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")

20220511_2.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Jan is running a contest, be d a Horrido bolts with IMP's in under a minute. DO, DU and reverse grip. (3 separate categories)

I managed a 6" A2 DO and a A2 Reverse.

@Lennixand @ChuckinCanuck are both doing 8.8's. I'm excited to see what @vikingsrule92 ends up doing. Also, the DU is completely open...for now. 

Screenshot_20220701-083602.png

• Like 6

Cut down my DO and reverse grip and finally got in the board with DU.

DO A2x5.5

Reverse grip A2x6

DU 4.8

Screenshot_20220705-042821.png

• Like 3