Dumbbell from hell

Lennix

So I visited a gym close to home to see if I should swap there when my current gym closes. To my delight I found this 72kg "Dumbbell from hell" as they call it.

So, I'm a bit curious, how well would this dumbbell translate to the inch? Because I know where I could find an inch replica but its 250km so want to at least be somewhat close to lift it. 

• Like 5

By the looks of it I don't think it's anywhere near a replica. Becuase it looks much longer and it's at least 6 kg's lighter as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raymond said:

I have no idea  how it would compare to an Inch bell but I bet they don't get many people lift it  on their first attempt.

Haha the 50+ yo ladies didn't look too impressed 😕

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

By the looks of it I don't think it's anywhere near a replica. Becuase it looks much longer and it's at least 6 kg's lighter as well.

Yes it's a how long is a string type of question but I mean. It gotta have more resemblance than a RT handle? 

16 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Still looks pretty cool.  I wonder the origin of the thing?

Agree! Yea I have to ask them next time :D

• Like 1

As long as it is a dumbbell it will always be closer than a rolling handle. However with a rolling handle you can actually choose which weight to work with. If you want to train for the inch just get round steel of the same size and make a handle, it will be the closest thing you will find to the real thing. Otherwise I think the wrist wrench is the best option. You're already a strong guy so I think the WW will suffice for you. Since you're not going to need to train the rest of your body to lift it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

As long as it is a dumbbell it will always be closer than a rolling handle. However with a rolling handle you can actually choose which weight to work with. If you want to train for the inch just get round steel of the same size and make a handle, it will be the closest thing you will find to the real thing. Otherwise I think the wrist wrench is the best option. You're already a strong guy so I think the WW will suffice for you. Since you're not going to need to train the rest of your body to lift it.

Why would round steel of the same size be better then this dumbbell? 

2 minutes ago, Lennix said:

You can adjust the loading with a rolling/rotating handle.

Just now, Ricochet said:

You can adjust the loading with a rolling/rotating handle.

I was thinking to add weights to the dumbbell to make it heavier? 

12 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Because you can load it to any weight you want obviously.

13 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I was thinking to add weights to the dumbbell to make it heavier? 

It's not about weight it's about torque. The shorter globes makes the torque much higher. That's what makes the Inch difficult, it spins out of the hand. You can actually load the dumbbell with weights and if you do it on the finger side it will actually make the dumbbell easier to lift, becasue the weight counter acts the rotation. It's called "Paradoxical loading" because the weight is heavier but yet it becomes easier to lift.

• Thanks 2

The longer the Dumbbell the harder it will be. But the action is different than the inch unless it’s a solid globe bell. I have two loadable 2 1/2 inch dumbbells one is about the length of the inch and one is 27 inches long and 27 inches long is way harder than the shorter one.

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

And you could load the weights on the thumb side as well to make it harder.

Hmm so if i strap 2x3kg dumbells on the inside of the "globes" it would make it about the same weight and perhaps torque? 

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The longer the Dumbbell the harder it will be. But the action is different than the inch unless it’s a solid globe bell. I have two loadable 2 1/2 inch dumbbells one is about the length of the inch and one is 27 inches long and 27 inches long is way harder than the shorter one.

Cool, this dumbbell is really long. No clue about measurements though! 

11 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Hmm so if i strap 2x3kg dumbells on the inside of the "globes" it would make it about the same weight and perhaps torque? 

Cool, this dumbbell is really long. No clue about measurements though! 

Well, if you have two dumbbells at the same weight one is much longer than the other the longer one will be more difficult than the shorter one.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Well, if you have two dumbbells at the same weight one is much longer than the other the longer one will be more difficult than the shorter one.

I believe globe diameter also has a major effect right after handle diameter... maybe more so than even length possibly.

Edited by Ricochet

1 minute ago, Ricochet said:

I believe globe diameter also has a major effect right after handle diameter... maybe more so than even length possibly.

Any dumbbell of the same weight and dimensions that is longer is usually going to be harder, whether globe bell or regular bell. 

31 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Any dumbbell of the same weight and dimensions that is longer is usually going to be harder, whether globe bell or regular bell. 

Yes, totally concur with you on that.

My point was that I have messed with some really unruly globe type bells that were rather short but due to their huge "globe" diameters were considerably difficult and rotated like crazy.

Edited by Ricochet

14 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

My point was that I have messed with some really unruly globe type bells that were rather short but due to their huge diameters were considerably difficult and rotated like crazy.

Yea , a lot of factors come into play.

That thing certainly has different kinetics to an Inch bell but those lifts didn't seem like max efforts to me. If someone put an Inch replica into Thom's hands I wouldn't wager anything on betting that he'd fail.

I'd love to see Thom have a go at the Inch replica to settle the debate. If it didn't go up it would only  be a few months away.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Raymond said:

That thing certainly has different kinetics to an Inch bell but those lifts didn't seem like max efforts to me. If someone put an Inch replica into Thom's hands I wouldn't wager anything on betting that he'd fail.

I'd love to see Thom have a go at the Inch replica to settle the debate. If it didn't go up it would only  be a few months away.

I wouldn't bet on me! I dont think I'm strong enough for the inch atm but as you say a few months away perhaps. My open hand strength got pulled away when I tried a real axle instead of the once I've been training with. 165kg axle/81kg RT must be to low numbers even if it's a completely different thing :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

My point was that I have messed with some really unruly globe type bells that were rather short but due to their huge "globe" diameters were considerably difficult and rotated like crazy.

This is the most important factor, that's why thick handle globe db's are so difficult to lift. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I wouldn't bet on me! I dont think I'm strong enough for the inch atm but as you say a few months away perhaps. My open hand strength got pulled away when I tried a real axle instead of the once I've been training with. 165kg axle/81kg RT must be to low numbers even if it's a completely different thing :D

Axle isn't the same thing, the handle doesn't have the same diameter. 81 kg on the RT is usually not enough to lift the Inch but you don't know for sure until you try because rolling handles and DB lifts are not the same. I'm better at DB lifts than with rolling handles, for some people the opposite might be true.

LGC handle is close to the Inch in difficulty (although not for me), if you can lift 78 kg on that handle you have a good chance of picking up the Inch. The same might be true for the Trilobite handle.

• Like 2