Rock climbers, is this decent?

king crusher

So I am no rock climber. I've tried one of these walls only a couple of times. Obviously being straight up and down they are pretty basic but I decided to make it a challenge by trying the whole thing without using my feet. 

I read online they actually have a term for it, campus climbing. 

So I have to admit this pushed me pretty damn hard. My forearms were fried after this.

These hand holds sucked compared to the usually nice ergonomic feeling ones that fit the hand.  These were just squared off where your fingers grasp it.

I missed my last grab at the top so I did use my legs at the end. I felt like I may fall if I tried without legs to lunge for the hold again. 

• Like 1

Nice job.  Although I think you could get some pointers from the climber next to you.  She seemed much more comfortable on her wall.  :D

• Like 1

It's more than decent for a non-climber, it's even harder for you due to the lack of technique. Typically we only campus on overhung walls to prevent body drag, campus training is great for building lock off strength, learning body control, knowing when to use momentum and learning to accurately place your hand on a hold in the optimal position quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nice job.  Although I think you could get some pointers from the climber next to you.  She seemed much more comfortable on her wall.  :D

That's my little one. She made it to the top of that wall and got close on the wall I'm on. 

Westsloap and climber,  thanks yeah it was awkward and I certainly have zero technical experience on walls. I actually wore the black off the front of those shoes on the left one. Pissed me off.

Yeah I can imagine what it would be like going past vertical and feel it would be easier as your body wouldn't drag.

11 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Westsloap and climber,  thanks yeah it was awkward and I certainly have zero technical experience on walls. I actually wore the black off the front of those shoes on the left one. Pissed me off.

Yeah I can imagine what it would be like going past vertical and feel it would be easier as your body wouldn't drag.

That's why we always tell beginners to get the cheapest shoes possible because they will get destroyed so quickly. It takes a few months to start to have accurate footwork. I wouldn't say easier, but it's definitely more comfortable. 

• Like 1