Other handles carryover to rolling thunder

db2000

I have a couple question about other handles (FBBC, Trilobite, NN) and their carry over to rolling thunder.

Does spending a significant time on a 3" handle transfer over to the rolling thunder? Like if someone was to build a lot of strength on a 3" trilobite when they switch over to rolling thunder will they have a greater base and be able to build the rolling thunder up to a higher level?

Does spending time on the handles that spin more (trilobite, crusher...even though they are similar diameters to the RT) make the rolling thunder seam easier (like if you build up strength on a  2.5 trilobite you will significantly increase your rolling thunder) .

I am assuming it would depend on your weakness

I have to say yes to all. Bigger diameter, different materials, NN, everything carries over to RT. I've advanced on the RT doing nothing but wrist wrench and fat gripz deadlift variations. I don't even train on the RT anymore, just test my strength on it once in a while. But my 60 mm/2.3622 inch Wrist wrench developed my specific thumb strength like nothing else.

• Like 1

Does have some carry-over but in my experience not that much because you're not lifting as much weight as you do with the RT.

I’m still a novice but I’d say if you’re going to spend time with really spiny handles and plan on using the rolling thunder make sure you work on your one hand deadlift without a rolling handle. 

You don’t want to get used to a weight (say 140) then not be able to pull (say 175) because it’s too much for your body and grip to handle at once 

But I don’t know your training history, if you can deadlift 500 then I doubt a one hand deadlift would be a problem 

Edited by FrankSobotka

Mine all went up at the same time, last I checked I was about 110 on 3", 125 on 2.5", 155 on 2". Some days were better than others for different diameters, wrist vs fingers.

18 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I have to say yes to all. Bigger diameter, different materials, NN, everything carries over to RT. I've advanced on the RT doing nothing but wrist wrench and fat gripz deadlift variations. I don't even train on the RT anymore, just test my strength on it once in a while. But my 60 mm/2.3622 inch Wrist wrench developed my specific thumb strength like nothing else.

True man I do something similar i feel like wrist strength is so important for thick bar

On 5/3/2019 at 1:23 PM, FrankSobotka said:

I’m still a novice but I’d say if you’re going to spend time with really spiny handles and plan on using the rolling thunder make sure you work on your one hand deadlift without a rolling handle. 

You don’t want to get used to a weight (say 140) then not be able to pull (say 175) because it’s too much for your body and grip to handle at once 

But I don’t know your training history, if you can deadlift 500 then I doubt a one hand deadlift would be a problem 

It has not so much to do with the body. I have a very weak body but I can lift a lot more than my BW with one arm if grip is taken out of the equation. It has to do with grip, forearm and bicep strength primarily.

You have to have some type of core strength and a little bit of upper back strength but nothing serious. If you can squat 1.5 of BW you'll be fine.

How spiny the handle rotates can be a more challenging factor than diameter. 

A blue Fatgripz on a 7’ Olympic bar for single hand deadlift is one of the most accessible solutions to build strength. It seems to me impossible someone could miss on an RT the exact same # on fg ohdl. If you had no rt it gives you a good idea of what your approx Rt would be +\ a few of course 

what say you others? How close is your best blue Fatgripz single hand lift and best rt on a new style clean Rolling Thunder?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

A blue Fatgripz on a 7’ Olympic bar for single hand deadlift is one of the most accessible solutions to build strength. It seems to me impossible someone could miss on an RT the exact same # on fg ohdl. If you had no rt it gives you a good idea of what your approx Rt would be +\ a few of course 

what say you others? How close is your best blue Fatgripz single hand lift and best rt on a new style clean Rolling Thunder?

That’s an interesting comparison. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

I will have to try and see. I dont have a RT with the caps, I have the one before that.

The original question may tie into this. If you spent an "off season" with fatgripz could you expect an increase in RT. like does it help build? or is it just similar 

47 minutes ago, db2000 said:

I will have to try and see. I dont have a RT with the caps, I have the one before that.

The original question may tie into this. If you spent an "off season" with fatgripz could you expect an increase in RT. like does it help build? or is it just similar 

I only train my thick bar doing FG double hand deadlifts and use the wrist wrench. I tested my RT tired, without warm up a couple days ago, and lifted an all time PR for two singles on both hands. FG deadlifts will definitely help your RT numbers. I gotta say that I'm advancing more this way, than when I was using the actual RT twice a week for a lot of reps.

I made this thread a while ago and not one reply, all of a sudden Adam wants to talk 1H Fatgripz dl and everyone comes out! 

But seriously, Adam, thanks for your wisdom, you provide tons of great info. 

Edited by FrankSobotka
  • Like 1

Frank it’s something I do often and believe is very useful. I’m between 200-210 on my good days with it and 225-230 on my competition rt handle. My 2.5 crusher last time I got to try was at 210. 

It becomes highly split when you look at the truly strong Rollie handle lifters like Mobster, Laine, Andrew, Felix, Odd, Tanner etc but towards the lump of the bell curve I predict the numbers will be 10-15%

• Like 1

How about fatgripz extreme? how is that carryover? Anyone using fgx in their training? 

38 minutes ago, Lennix said:

How about fatgripz extreme? how is that carryover? Anyone using fgx in their training? 

Every week. Deadlifts, hammer curls, one arm hangs and pressing. 

• Like 1

If you want to get good at a certain thickness, you must train it. Being good at 3 inch does not indicate always that you will be good at 2.5 or less. The best way is to incorporate each thickness in for variation. If this has already been said, then disregard.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If you want to get good at a certain thickness, you must train it.

Exactly. My RT is at an all time high right now, but my 2.5 crusher is down quite a bit. Once the newbie gains are maxed out, the best way to improve is training specifically for the movement you want to excel at

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Exactly. My RT is at an all time high right now, but my 2.5 crusher is down quite a bit. Once the newbie gains are maxed out, the best way to improve is training specifically for the movement you want to excel at

💯 

Tanner 280 this weekend!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Tanner 280 this weekend!!!!!!!

Pshhh that would be unreal. We only get three attempts so I’m aiming for something around 260. That will be a competition PR. I locked out 260 for 5 singles a few days ago. 

• Like 2

260 @90kg will be a podium finish 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

10 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If you want to get good at a certain thickness, you must train it. Being good at 3 inch does not indicate always that you will be good at 2.5 or less. The best way is to incorporate each thickness in for variation. If this has already been said, then disregard.

Thanks!

an example of what I was thinking would be like deficit deadlifts. It is a harder exercise that you can only use less weight than a regular deadlift. If you spent 2 months working your deficit and brought that up a few pounds, by the time you start regular deadlifting you will normally hit a PR....not necessarily straight away as you need to adjust working from a different height, but the PR will come because you built strength from a deficit.

In my mind going from increasing a thicker handle weight when you get back to your goal implement you will have a bigger base, a stronger thumb and you will be able to push the thinner handle further.

But that is all in my mind!

I cant remember where I read it, but someone said once that the best way to train the rolling thunder is to not train the rolling thunder....and I dont know how true that is

14 minutes ago, db2000 said:

Thanks!

an example of what I was thinking would be like deficit deadlifts. It is a harder exercise that you can only use less weight than a regular deadlift. If you spent 2 months working your deficit and brought that up a few pounds, by the time you start regular deadlifting you will normally hit a PR....not necessarily straight away as you need to adjust working from a different height, but the PR will come because you built strength from a deficit.

In my mind going from increasing a thicker handle weight when you get back to your goal implement you will have a bigger base, a stronger thumb and you will be able to push the thinner handle further.

But that is all in my mind!

I cant remember where I read it, but someone said once that the best way to train the rolling thunder is to not train the rolling thunder....and I dont know how true that is

Grip is a total different animal. Just because you use a thicker handle does not mean the thinner handle will increase. I know people that can do more on a 2.5 inch handle than a 2 inch. I also know someone that can 3 inch axle close to what they can 2 inch. So... moral of the story is, train what you are going to compete with and add I. Some variety to train the other thicknesses to remain well rounded. Same thing with pinch thickness .

There’s another saying that probably holds more value,

”the best way to suck at something is to never practice/train it”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Grip is a total different animal. Just because you use a thicker handle does not mean the thinner handle will increase. I know people that can do more on a 2.5 inch handle than a 2 inch. I also know someone that can 3 inch axle close to what they can 2 inch. So... moral of the story is, train what you are going to compete with and add I. Some variety to train the other thicknesses to remain well rounded. Same thing with pinch thickness .

Very true, I think my RT is just about as good as my one arm DL with a regular bar is right now.