Ft. Worth Grip Contest

EricMilfeld

46 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Vinnie I have no idea on the grippers. Show up strong and you’ll be fine. It’s a set of 10 im cocs brought to the site. All gripper will be in the correct range of resistance- don’t expect anything to be easier than marked. 

For your records question of true weight vs weight class I’ll ask Riccardo how that shakes out. If you have ambition to go to Worlds in 2020 you need top 3 in your weight class. — if we get 5 or more lighter attendees we can roll out a lighter class but not if it’s a gimme deal of 2 people in the class. 

concerning lifts being recorded in other feds- don’t expect that. If someone sets a true WR maybe... but most likely no. 

I only set world records in my class when the comp is small and the event has not been contested before lol.  Then Dan Fleming breaks it.

For the SB, are you allowed to go down to the next lower gripper if you fail to get a hold on the first one you try?  I asked about the 3.5 because if it is a hard (180+) 3.5, I probably can't set it to do SB.  An easy one for sure I can, and mid-range, depends on the day.  I will assume mid-range then based on what you said.  No one is holding you to anything and it's not for a record anyway, just figuring what to try for SB. 

Looking forward to this event.  NAGS will be my warm-up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I only set world records in my class when the comp is small and the event has not been contested before lol.  Then Dan Fleming breaks it.

For the SB, are you allowed to go down to the next lower gripper if you fail to get a hold on the first one you try?  I asked about the 3.5 because if it is a hard (180+) 3.5, I probably can't set it to do SB.  An easy one for sure I can, and mid-range, depends on the day.  I will assume mid-range then based on what you said.  No one is holding you to anything and it's not for a record anyway, just figuring what to try for SB. 

Looking forward to this event.  NAGS will be my warm-up.

Actually, I see from a post above that you can make any attempt on SB within 60 seconds.  So that means I should just try the darned 3.5, and do the 3 if I miss.  All good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

If you make it under the 80kg, your results should be updated as an 80kg competitor on the Armlifting USA website regardless of that weight class being represented at our event....at least that is my understanding. Probably best to ask Clay or Riccardo.

Riccardo confirmed - your leaderboard results are based on the actual body weight you are entered at the morning of the contest. 

Vinnie you can earn your seat for worlds in 4 weeks from today 👍👍

• Like 1

SB will be a 60 seconds to establish a good lift. Hypothetically someone can try as many grippers as they can tolerate to try in the allotted time. Once the weight is held single hand with a legal placement the judge begins the count. 

Hey make sure you train that exactly- miss on one to set and succeed at the next. Special attention on this  help. 

All size gripper will be available for warm ups, you’ll be able to get a feel before your attempt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

If you have ambition to go to Worlds in 2020 you need top 3 in your weight class. — if we get 5 or more lighter attendees we can roll out a lighter class but not if it’s a gimme deal of 2 people in the class.

I think I might pull off top three if there are enough under 80kg entrants, I guess depending who they are; I wouldn't have a prayer at 90kg.  I think Mike Saffell told me I was 2nd (of maybe 5?) last year in the 80kg weight class, which I thought was strange because Tanner and Dan always beat me, but then I realized they must not be under 80kg, just under 83kg, since NAGS has different divisions.  So anyway yeah, I'm not looking for an easy in, just saying I was sorry to miss it and if I do manage to get invited this year, I plan to make sure I can go.   Either way, it will be fun trying.  See you in Texas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I think Mike Saffell told me I was 2nd (of maybe 5?) last year in the 80kg weight class

You ended in 3rd last year. I do believe you got edged out for 2nd by 3points the last week of the year. This is what the rankings look like for your class so far this year. They have included saxon bar in the rankings. I will have all 4 events in my contest in Nov/early December plus a couple more. I'm gonna try and do a dual sanctioned contest. So if you are bored and want to come to Ohio would love to have ya.

Screenshot_20190529-123320_Sheets.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Saff said:

You ended in 3rd last year. I do believe you got edged out for 2nd by 3points the last week of the year. This is what the rankings look like for your class so far this year. They have included saxon bar in the rankings. I will have all 4 events in my contest in Nov/early December plus a couple more. I'm gonna try and do a dual sanctioned contest. So if you are bored and want to come to Ohio would love to have ya.

I will be sure to be at some armlifting events this year, thanks.  I'll keep my eyes open!

• 2 weeks later...

If the lowest weight class is 90k for the comp, that is what I will be in for the comp no matter what, because I was 81k (lightly clothed) at NAGS.  But for stat purposes (since I want to try to put up numbers that might qualify me for St. Petersburg next year), l want to weigh in under 80kg -- and I will be DAMN close to 80kg.  For arm lifting, is there a clothing weight allowance like in arm wrestling, or not one, like in grip?  With almost two weeks left, I should be able to make 80kg (even though it won't matter for this particular comp) and I want to know my target.

And just in general, who's excited about this?  I am, because I almost never get to Texas and I have never done Saxon bar in comp, and I have never met most of you who will be going.  So I am really looking forward to this.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Saff said:

Do you happen to know the date yet?  I know it is early.  I am very interested.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, Vinnie said:

Do you happen to know the date yet?  I know it is early.  I am very interested.

Right now I am liking the date Sat Nov 16th. Not set in stone yet. But I am open for suggestions on a date.

What I do know for sure is I will contest the silver bullet, rolling thunder, Apollon's axle, Sorinex saxon bar and little big horn.

I am thinking of doing 1-2 additional events to a crossbar. A good possibility the the Payne will be one of them. Last year's contest was a success but I'm trying to kick it up a notch this year.

I would also like to have a teen division at this year's contest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saff said:

Right now I am liking the date Sat Nov 16th. Not set in stone yet. But I am open for suggestions on a date.

What I do know for sure is I will contest the silver bullet, rolling thunder, Apollon's axle, Sorinex saxon bar and little big horn.

I am thinking of doing 1-2 additional events to a crossbar. A good possibility the the Payne will be one of them. Last year's contest was a success but I'm trying to kick it up a notch this year.

I would also like to have a teen division at this year's contest.

I'm not a big enough player to swing the date, but if it comes down to head counting, I think I am better with November 9 than 16 because it is easier for me to commit to a weekend I don't have my son.  But like I said, I am not asking for that, just predicting the likelihood I can make it is higher on the 9th.  I am still gonna try anyway, but it gets complicated if I have to trade dates with ex, since she's not easy.  Hence "ex" lol.

Are any of the lifts just to lockout, or all to crossbar?  I would think axle and Saxon at least are to lockout, rolling thunder and little big horn I don't know.  I need to google "the Payne," no clue!

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm not a big enough player to swing the date, but if it comes down to head counting, I think I am better with November 9 than 16 because it is easier for me to commit to a weekend I don't have my son.  But like I said, I am not asking for that, just predicting the likelihood I can make it is higher on the 9th.  I am still gonna try anyway, but it gets complicated if I have to trade dates with ex, since she's not easy.  Hence "ex" lol.

Are any of the lifts just to lockout, or all to crossbar?  I would think axle and Saxon at least are to lockout, rolling thunder and little big horn I don't know.  I need to google "the Payne," no clue!

Just kicking around the dates now. The 4 main events I mentioned are to lockout. Armlifting USA rules. Well not silver bullet obviously.

Any other event will be to crossbar. The Payne is sold by John Oka and Arm Assassin. Key pinch type lift.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saff said:

Just kicking around the dates now. The 4 main events I mentioned are to lockout. Armlifting USA rules. Well not silver bullet obviously.

Any other event will be to crossbar. The Payne is sold by John Oka and Arm Assassin. Key pinch type lift.

OK awesome, whatever the date, I will do my best to attend.  Those are great events.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, Vinnie said:

If the lowest weight class is 90k for the comp, that is what I will be in for the comp no matter what, because I was 81k (lightly clothed) at NAGS.  But for stat purposes (since I want to try to put up numbers that might qualify me for St. Petersburg next year), l want to weigh in under 80kg -- and I will be DAMN close to 80kg.  For arm lifting, is there a clothing weight allowance like in arm wrestling, or not one, like in grip?  With almost two weeks left, I should be able to make 80kg (even though it won't matter for this particular comp) and I want to know my target.

And just in general, who's excited about this?  I am, because I almost never get to Texas and I have never done Saxon bar in comp, and I have never met most of you who will be going.  So I am really looking forward to this.

Bump, and sorry for veering off topic.  Back to Texas lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Happening this Sunday at Metroflex Fort Worth.

weigh in starts at 10:30, rules brief at 11 followed by the platform opening with Double overhand deadlift on the Ironmind bar. 

Based on the excellent results of Clays Europa contest I want to make 2 changes for event execution. ** Competitors will be offered 3 chances to score with the Silver bullet if they choose. Order will be by weight class. After the last heavy goes a second chance in order will be offered. So forth a third time. Competitors will be scored on their best hold of the three attempts. 

Second change is in the spirit of the adjustable europinch - my favorite contest lift. Competitors will be able to choose the Saxon bar thickness of bars on hand to the grip they believe they can beat score. Once selected competitors will lift in a rising bar last man standing format. Switching bars after selection is forbidden. One hand this weekend will be a 2.5” & 3”x4” bar. The texture is very similar one to the other. 

We have several judges & will be running multiple platforms during the pinch lift to keep everything moving along. 

We currently have competitors traveling in from California, Oklahoma, and somewhere north —Vinnie. I don’t know where you live 🤔

this event will run quickly. We have some of the best middle weights in North America and a contender for a new axle world record. Who knows who will show up from the Castles strongman team? 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

We currently have competitors traveling in from California, Oklahoma, and somewhere north —Vinnie. I don’t know where you live

I SOOOO wanna say I'm Vinnie from Brooklyn, but that was 20 years ago.  I live on Long Island, but I do work in New York City.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

weigh in starts at 10:30, rules brief at 11 followed by the platform opening

Ruh roh!  Late weigh-in.  I had better bring in a McD's big breakfast and a quart or two of water to scarf after weigh-in.  I'm gonna be very very close to 80kg ...

• Like 1

Sunday the gym doesn’t open until 10 am so that’s the situation. 

7 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Sunday the gym doesn’t open until 10 am so that’s the situation. 

Just kvetching.  I was 179 this morning, I need to make 176 to be 80kg.  3 pounds in 3 days, I can do that without any dangerous craziness.  But I think I am gonna put the Texas steak dinner off until AFTER the comp ...

Just now, Vinnie said:

Just kvetching.  I was 179 this morning, I need to make 176 to be 80kg.  3 pounds in 3 days, I can do that without any dangerous craziness.  But I think I am gonna put the Texas steak dinner off until AFTER the comp ...

Well, maybe I should aim for 4 pounds, don't wanna be in the situation where my briefs make the difference.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Well, maybe I should aim for 4 pounds, don't wanna be in the situation where my briefs make the difference.

Or enjoy yourself, have a fun trip and lift in next class up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Says the guy who has lifted in 90, 100, 105, 110, and open weight in contests over 8 years 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Says the guy who has lifted in 90, 100, 105, 110, and open weight in contests over 8 years 

Easy to say with lifts like yours!  I will come either way and have fun either way, but in 80 I can also compete.  In 90 I am just a pad for the bottom lol.  Which is fine, the sport is still great, but may as well have a horse in the race.  I'll make weight.

The Saxon bars for Sunday are both thicker than Aaron Corcorran's?  (Sorry if I misspelled that, AC).  I'm thinking that the two I've tried (Sorinex and CTS) were both 2 inches.  Are numbers lifted usually less on the 2.5 and 3?  Assuming so.  No idea where to start but I guess I can try it for a warmup or two before its contested ...

18 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Happening this Sunday at Metroflex Fort Worth.

weigh in starts at 10:30, rules brief at 11 followed by the platform opening with Double overhand deadlift on the Ironmind bar. 

Based on the excellent results of Clays Europa contest I want to make 2 changes for event execution. ** Competitors will be offered 3 chances to score with the Silver bullet if they choose. Order will be by weight class. After the last heavy goes a second chance in order will be offered. So forth a third time. Competitors will be scored on their best hold of the three attempts. 

Second change is in the spirit of the adjustable europinch - my favorite contest lift. Competitors will be able to choose the Saxon bar thickness of bars on hand to the grip they believe they can beat score. Once selected competitors will lift in a rising bar last man standing format. Switching bars after selection is forbidden. One hand this weekend will be a 2.5” & 3”x4” bar. The texture is very similar one to the other. 

We have several judges & will be running multiple platforms during the pinch lift to keep everything moving along. 

We currently have competitors traveling in from California, Oklahoma, and somewhere north —Vinnie. I don’t know where you live 🤔

this event will run quickly. We have some of the best middle weights in North America and a contender for a new axle world record. Who knows who will show up from the Castles strongman team? 

Dude that is awesome to give choice on Saxon bar size selection! Totally awesome! Wish I was coming!