Warming up CNS

Shal9097

I closed my #2 a few days ago at the end of a hard gripper workout. Since then, I’ve noticed that if I just try to get the #2 I don’t get it, but if I do a few sets with the #1 and then some cheat holds with the #2, afterwards I can get the #2 for a double. I assume this is because my central nervous system is activated better, but by that point my hand is out if gas and I can only do one working set with the #2. How do I activate my CNS without taxing my hand so much?

TNS or very wide set of an easier gripper first should help

I’ve been playing around with activating my CNS (and if it really matters). I do stuff like heavy double overhand barbell holds and heavy zercher holds. 

I figure that going from doing nothing to holding 300+ lbs has to awaken your nervous system, right? 

You could also do stuff like kettlebell swings, med ball slams, any kind of jumps, sprints (all stuff that I should do but don’t)

Edited by FrankSobotka

You activate your CNS the best by training big compound movements, like squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead presses. You should aim for maximal muscle activation, without tiring your hands too much. I superset my gripper work with weighted lunges, or squats. It's a night and day difference when you're amped up and just grabbing a gripper cold.

• Like 1

Everything from low intensity cardio to big compound movements works. I think squats and cardio are the best because you can do them without taxing your hands. I used to do some singles or doubles with light grippers as warmup. I could usually feel already in the warmup if I had a good day or not. Either my CNS is going or it doesn't. Then again, my best close I did with lack of sleep and with no other warmup than grippers. I think the best way to train is actually to make it hard, no primer work, no caffeine or other drugs, no ammonia etc. If you add that when you compete it will have much better effect on you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I really wonder why this is. I have had similar experiences plenty of times. Like after a peaking cycle, you prepare for days with optimal sleep, nutrition, really getting into a do or die frame of mind, disregarding other important stuff so you don't get stressed etc. Only to perform like absolute shit on max day. 

Then party all weekend and have a little bit of a flu going on feeling half dead on monday and for some reason the weights feel like nothing compared to normal and you hit a surprise PR.

I think I could have closed a harder gripper if I had a better day but when it comes to big lifts, PL etc, there actually some evidence that suggests that alcohol can have a positive effect on performance, if used correctly. I've read a study about it, don't remember where though. A calorie surplus is definitely going to help, so eating "junk" food (which isn't always junk by the way) can be good, as long as you stay in the right weight class :D

On 4/12/2019 at 11:24 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I usually activate my CNS with a few heaven unilateral dumbbell overhead presses. Seems to do the trick.

Yep me too. Or a barbell press

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, FrankSobotka said:

I’ve been playing around with activating my CNS (and if it really matters). I do stuff like heavy double overhand barbell holds and heavy zercher holds. 

I figure that going from doing nothing to holding 300+ lbs has to awaken your nervous system, right? 

You could also do stuff like kettlebell swings, med ball slams, any kind of jumps, sprints (all stuff that I should do but don’t)

Pendlay rows too, don’t know how I forgot those 

• Like 1

Noob question, but how do you really know if your CNS has been "activated"?  Maybe I don't know because I typically warm up and workout before I do grip.  

8 hours ago, japete01 said:

Noob question, but how do you really know if your CNS has been "activated"?  Maybe I don't know because I typically warm up and workout before I do grip.  

You have to do some rigorous activities that will get it activated. Walk Into the gym cold, then your CNS is not activated, Unless you were doing some sort of physical labor before you stepped in the gym. It takes something taxing to get it going. Especially with grip.

10 hours ago, japete01 said:

You feel warm. You feel stronger. What you used to warm up with difficulty is very easy now.

• Like 1