Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nigel Blackburn

Best 45s for pinching?

Recommended Posts

Nigel Blackburn

Hey, guys. I'm fairly certain this is already an existing thread, but I'm far too lazy to find it.

 

I wanted to gather everyone's expertise on plate brands--specifically 45-lbs plates for pinching. One of my big goals for this year is become the lightest (or one of the lightest? Not sure if anyone in the 66kg class has done this) individuals to pinch 2 45s.

 

Which 45s that you guys know of have:

-good texture

-forgiving bevel

-relatively thin width for pinching

 

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Florian Kellersmann

The width is important, but the perfect width is individual. Thin plates like the Rogue Competition plates may be a good start for you. Since there are some Videos up with 2x55 Rogue Lifts they are probably not the hardest to pinch lift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tank Andrade

Standard barbell are nice and thin but need you older ones before they started with hammertone paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

The calibrated rogue 45s are 22mm thick, and last I checked run at least $250 shipped, never seem to pop up anywhere used.

There are dozens of versions of "standard barbell" plates, but if anyone knows where to buy the 1" thick ones, post up a link.

I have resigned myself to bringing a tape measure to used sporting goods stores, and eyeballing crappy craigslist pictures to hope I get lucky and see some thin ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikael Siversson

Bruce White, an Australian grip legend, did that and a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
2 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

Standard barbell are nice and thin but need you older ones before they started with hammertone paint.

^ agree.  That's what I have. 

They fit together nicely, take chalk well, and don't have too sharp of an edge.  It's an okay feat to have a sharp edge, IMO.  Since lifts are usually one-offs.  The sharp edge significantly increases the chance you'll tear, but it also "bites" in a way that contributes to the lift.  Or can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
4 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

The width is important, but the perfect width is individual. Thin plates like the Rogue Competition plates may be a good start for you. Since there are some Videos up with 2x55 Rogue Lifts they are probably not the hardest to pinch lift. 

 

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

The calibrated rogue 45s are 22mm thick, and last I checked run at least $250 shipped, never seem to pop up anywhere used.

There are dozens of versions of "standard barbell" plates, but if anyone knows where to buy the 1" thick ones, post up a link.

I have resigned myself to bringing a tape measure to used sporting goods stores, and eyeballing crappy craigslist pictures to hope I get lucky and see some thin ones.

That's something I didn't even think of. they are super expensive, but if I ever do come across those, I'll try them out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
2 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

Standard barbell are nice and thin but need you older ones before they started with hammertone paint.

 

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

^ agree.  That's what I have. 

They fit together nicely, take chalk well, and don't have too sharp of an edge.  It's an okay feat to have a sharp edge, IMO.  Since lifts are usually one-offs.  The sharp edge significantly increases the chance you'll tear, but it also "bites" in a way that contributes to the lift.  Or can. 

I think that'll be the way to go. I'll start seeking those out and see if I can find me some.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
56 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Bruce White, an Australian grip legend, did that and a lot more.

Yeah, wasn't sure. Are there any videos or articles on him so I can check him out? Must've been a super strong dude!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
3 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

 

I think that'll be the way to go. I'll start seeking those out and see if I can find me some.

I lucked out on mine.  I bought some Hamptons from a local guy I know (lukeamdman, he's MM2 but doesn't visit very often anymore I don't think).  He threw in those 45s just to get them out of his way.  Our local Play-it-again type stores don't even carry used plates anymore.  It seems to be 100% a craigslist market.  Or Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, or whatever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

Use the Euro etc to find your favorite width. Narrower may or may not suit you best. Then you will know just what you want

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE101

It may be thicker than you'd like, but it's always worth mentioning the milled back Yorks because of their texture. As you know sometimes texture can play a bigger role than a couple of mm.

Elizabeth Horne seems to do pretty well on them, and I'm not trying to compare you two, but I'm guessing her hand size is more relevant to you in this context.

2x20kg one hand pinch

2x20 kg two hand hold (over a minute)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikael Siversson

Image result for brucewhite_inchdumbbell_oldtimestrongman

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikael Siversson

The inch in the picture is actually here in Perth. I have seen it and weighed it as well (its painted red btw).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
4 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

It may be thicker than you'd like, but it's always worth mentioning the milled back Yorks because of their texture. As you know sometimes texture can play a bigger role than a couple of mm.

Elizabeth Horne seems to do pretty well on them, and I'm not trying to compare you two, but I'm guessing her hand size is more relevant to you in this context.

2x20kg one hand pinch

2x20 kg two hand hold (over a minute)

 

Awesome. I'll keep my eye out for those. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
3 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

The inch in the picture is actually here in Perth. I have seen it and weighed it as well (its painted red btw).

Very cool. I'll read up on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

My milled yorks are 2.75" wide together, good texture and sharp edges, but Id probably need to pull mid 80s on blockbuster and mid 90s flask to get them. About 10lbs off both of those last time I checked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn

I have an old pair of weiders that I like best of mine nice texture and bevel. They don't fit together super well as they splay open when you pick them up though. 2 5/8" wide. I havent pulled them out in years to pinch but got +20# on them with magneted on plates many years back when I was training the 1H Pinch more and my 2HP was probably 20# less than it is now.

- Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikael Siversson
16 hours ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Very cool. I'll read up on him.

He weighed 67k when he lifted the inch in strict style. Possibly the best thickbar lifter pound-for-pound of all time.

 

 

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE101
19 hours ago, wobbler said:

My milled yorks are 2.75" wide together

You might have a rougher pair. I get pretty much right on 2.5" with most of my pairs, but if I put two rougher cast plates together I can get 2.75" That or I'm just lucky!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Just stay away from the gray painted Standards.  I'm pretty much at the point where i can pinch any non-deep dish 45s, but I have yet to be able to get these slick lil bass turds.  I've been able to get one, paired with a normal 45, but not two yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
19 hours ago, acorn said:

I have an old pair of weiders that I like best of mine nice texture and bevel. They don't fit together super well as they splay open when you pick them up though. 2 5/8" wide. I havent pulled them out in years to pinch but got +20# on them with magneted on plates many years back when I was training the 1H Pinch more and my 2HP was probably 20# less than it is now.

- Aaron

Funny that you mentioned that. I found 2 Weiders yesterday with EXTREMELY good texture. They are relatively wide, but should be great for pinching. I just have to grind them down a bit, as they are basically sharp as butter knives right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
4 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

He weighed 67k when he lifted the inch in strict style. Possibly the best thickbar lifter pound-for-pound of all time.

 

 

Wow, that's incredible! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
18 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Just stay away from the gray painted Standards.  I'm pretty much at the point where i can pinch any non-deep dish 45s, but I have yet to be able to get these slick lil bass turds.  I've been able to get one, paired with a normal 45, but not two yet. 

Good point, @Mike Rinderle. We have some gray standards as well, and they are not ideal for pinching at all for the same reasons you stated. Good width, but that's about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
1 hour ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Funny that you mentioned that. I found 2 Weiders yesterday with EXTREMELY good texture. They are relatively wide, but should be great for pinching. I just have to grind them down a bit, as they are basically sharp as butter knives right now.

The ones I have are supposed to be 20kg plates but actual weight is closer to 45#

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.