Rolling thunder advice. Old vs new handle differences.

mcalpine1986

Hi everyone. This is the first time ive signed in since 2009. Ive just got back into direct grip work. I started doing some 2 hands pinching 2 weeks ago and some light coc grippers to start off.

I done my first rolling thunder deadlift workout the other night where i worked upto a max to see where my starting point is. I bought my handle in around 2003. Only used it a few times back then. Ive read that the older handles are easier? By roughly how much does anyone think? My short term goal is to pull bodyweight by christmas(i weigh 69kgs) and  a longer term goal of 90kg next year. Also any training advice or tips would be appreciated. Im thinking of doing 3x10 3 times per week like Laine Snook has recomended as it sounds like a good way to get stronger.

Edited by mcalpine1986

Impossible to say really.  I had one just hanging in my garage.  Over the course of a couple years it changed a lot - I'm guessing chalk and dust got in it and made it much easier.  Do the "test" IM talks about. Hold it by the handle with the metal V part out to the side - horizontal - let go of it - if it falls freely you are probably good to go.  If not - you have a problem..

Ive done that and it just falls. It spins very easily. Its old but nearly brand new, i only trained with it a few times with it back then. Its been put away in a storage box in my mothers loft for the past decade or so. I suppose it doesnt matter too much as long as im getting stronger on it. I got some funny looks in the gym the other day when using it. My forearms are still a bit sore now off last thursdays workout. It really works the whole lower arm.

Sounds like it's good to go then.

5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Ive done that and it just falls. It spins very easily. Its old but nearly brand new, i only trained with it a few times with it back then. Its been put away in a storage box in my mothers loft for the past decade or so. I suppose it doesnt matter too much as long as im getting stronger on it. I got some funny looks in the gym the other day when using it. My forearms are still a bit sore now off last thursdays workout. It really works the whole lower arm.

If the action isn’t as good as it can be, you may believe you are getting stronger than you actually are. It’s a false sense of strength if the rotation isn’t slick enough, let’s say, when you move to a handle that the action spins better, say on a crusher or a BSS trilobite or an arm assassin handle. You will be totally shocked at how strong you thought you were from the poundages you were lifting on a handle you thought was kosher when you move to a difficult handle or a better spinning RT. Use what you have, of course. Just keep that in the back of your mind if you plan to compete.Good luck and welcome back to the grip show!

I have owned around 7 since I got one for Christmas in 1999.Used perhaps another 7 in contests, ranging from 2004 to 2016, Have had RT's repaired and replaced over the years.

My current RT was a replacement for one that had been repaired. So I have the latest version.

In answer to your question, my answer is "about 10%". I could back it up with examples and data, but in the interest of time, I can tell you for me personally, that is what it is. So, for me, the latest version, if you could do 180 lbs. on it, it would translate into 200 pounds on yours. 

Laine Snook swears by high reps. Most of us tend to believe him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If the action isn’t as good as it can be, you may believe you are getting stronger than you actually are. It’s a false sense of strength if the rotation isn’t slick enough, let’s say, when you move to a handle that the action spins better, say on a crusher or a BSS trilobite or an arm assassin handle. You will be totally shocked at how strong you thought you were from the poundages you were lifting on a handle you thought was kosher when you move to a difficult handle or a better spinning RT. Use what you have, of course. Just keep that in the back of your mind if you plan to compete.Good luck and welcome back to the grip show!

It moves freely, its slick so i think its ok. Ill buy a new handle in future to compare. This was only my first proper training session on it as just got back into it. Doing another tonight but this time high reps. Thanks you. The Grip bug has bitten me.

14 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I have owned around 7 since I got one for Christmas in 1999.Used perhaps another 7 in contests, ranging from 2004 to 2016, Have had RT's repaired and replaced over the years.

My current RT was a replacement for one that had been repaired. So I have the latest version.

In answer to your question, my answer is "about 10%". I could back it up with examples and data, but in the interest of time, I can tell you for me personally, that is what it is. So, for me, the latest version, if you could do 180 lbs. on it, it would translate into 200 pounds on yours. 

Laine Snook swears by high reps. Most of us tend to believe him.

Thank you for the reply. 10% seems about what ive read before. Once ive got a good few months of training on it under my belt ill probably buy a new handle to compare myself. 

Yes im going to implememt what Laine suggests starting tonight. High reps are more fun than low i think anyway.

Edited by mcalpine1986