Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wobbler

Axle vs rolling handles?

Recommended Posts

wobbler

How do these compare for everyone? I have an IM axle in the garage that I haven't touched yet, got it used and is seasoned pretty well.

What should I expect 1 and 2 handed? Best 2.5 crusher is 130, 2" is 160. Right, left is a couple lbs less but not too far off.

Never done much deadlifting but assuming my back isn't the limit for 2 hand, what should I be shooting for? 280ish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestSlope
11 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Never done much deadlifting but assuming my back isn't the limit

This is not a good assumption. I don't think you should concern yourself with finding a true max until you have progressively strengthened your deadlift for a couple of months.

To answer your question though, based on your 2" Crusher numbers my guess 300 because of the lower pick height.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeezus

My axle max is 180% of my 2" crusher max. YMMV.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Cool, thanks. I'll get a feel for the lower height 1 hand, then slowly work up 2 hand, see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

Some more recommendations, tho this applies to all new implements: Try not to max out your first time touching it, take things slow and don't risk injury just for for a PR you'll likely destroy in a month anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Definiely, new stuff I always keep it to a few reps only, leave some in the tank, and see how I feel the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Dube

Personally I find my numbers almost identical. 

2.5" crusher right 157, left 137

2.375" axle 290

2.375" NN 295

2" crusher right 183 left?

2" axle 330, haven't tested this in over a year

2" NN 340+ don't remember exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
On 11/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Dube said:

Personally I find my numbers almost identical. 

2.5" crusher right 157, left 137

2.375" axle 290

2.375" NN 295

2" crusher right 183 left?

2" axle 330, haven't tested this in over a year

2" NN 340+ don't remember exactly

Wow Dubes, your 2 inch axle is way ahead of your 2 3/8 inch NN. For me, they are nearly identical. That’s great man! I wish my axle was 35 pounds more than my NN. 💪👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan

Would the NN have carryover to axle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
8 hours ago, KapMan said:

Would the NN have carryover to axle? 

Yes. 100%. What you can do on the 2 3/8NN equates to roughly 95% of what you can get on a 2 inch axle for most.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes. 100%. What you can do on the 2 3/8NN equates to roughly 95% of what you can get on a 2 inch axle for most.

Excellent. My back isnt getting any better and I rather train on a NN then a axle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
30 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Excellent. My back isnt getting any better and I rather train on a NN then a axle. 

That’s the huge benefit of it brother 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Did some 2 hand reps around 180lbs, sumo is the only way that felt right. Seemed ok, back felt good, will work up.

Tried 1 hand about 120lbs, kept tilting and spinning on me with the plates locked tight. Not a fan of one handed axle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, wobbler said:

Did some 2 hand reps around 180lbs, sumo is the only way that felt right. Seemed ok, back felt good, will work up.

Tried 1 hand about 120lbs, kept tilting and spinning on me with the plates locked tight. Not a fan of one handed axle.

I don’t like it either. Very easy to tweak the back with them also. If you are going to do them, I recommend some serious side plank action to increase quadratus lumborum strength to avoid tweaks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slazbob
8 hours ago, KapMan said:

Excellent. My back isnt getting any better and I rather train on a NN then a axle. 

May I ask what an “NN” is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
4 minutes ago, slazbob said:

May I ask what an “NN” is?

Napalms nightmare made my @Lucasraymond and @Jedd Johnson. It’s a modular 2 hands rolling thickbar device with various diameter handles that are interchangeable that has thickbar and pinch block handles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slazbob
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Napalms nightmare made my @Lucasraymond and @Jedd Johnson. It’s a modular 2 hands rolling thickbar device with various diameter handles that are interchangeable that has thickbar and pinch block handles

Thanks, Joe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.