acorn

Southwest Region GripSport Championships

daniel reinard

Was that the brew he made when Emily and I were last there? I remember it was a Scottish something and it was amazing. 

• Like 1

acorn
4 minutes ago, daniel reinard said:

Was that the brew he made when Emily and I were last there? I remember it was a Scottish something and it was amazing. 

Yeah I think that was it.

acorn

I stopped by the steel supplier today and picked up the steel to make a pair of short spin lock collars and 10 thin and solid 5kg plates for the Inch handle event. Once all that is done the DB should be loadable to well over 200# with the loadable Hemisphere plates on it. Maybe as much as 230# if it all fits. That should be enough to top out even Jedd or Adam I would think. Should I do pics of the build process?

- Aaron

• Like 3

Adam Juncker
16 hours ago, acorn said:

Should I do pics of the build process?

yes please

• Like 2

WestSlope
1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

yes please

I wanted to see this as well, but I didn't want to be the only one to ask.

• Like 1

acorn

Ok, sounds good. I am terrible at remembering to even take a picture at the end of a completed project so I will try to get some in process stuff.

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

yes please

41 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I wanted to see this as well, but I didn't want to be the only one to ask.

acorn
Posted (edited)

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Edited by acorn
Updating paid status.
  • Like 1

bwwm

Nice job drawing the weight class boundaries!!! 😉

• Haha 1

acorn

I updated the info on the initial post of this thread. Also Venue has changed back to Tucson Strength Gym. Sounds like the promoter trying to put together the Fit Expo wasn't able to make it happen.

- Aaron

• Like 1

daniel reinard
8 minutes ago, acorn said:

I updated the info on the initial post of this thread. Also Venue has changed back to Tucson Strength Gym. Sounds like the promoter trying to put together the Fit Expo wasn't able to make it happen.

- Aaron

Works for us. We picked a hotel 2 blocks from the gym. Maybe if I sprint in I can make weight. 

• Like 1

acorn

I finished this guy up Saturday night. Pivoting Saxon top for my solid loading pin. Same 2x5 dimension as my main bar and I expect it to feel like the full length bar with this center pivot setup. Will be testing this week 2H. Tested this weekend with one hand at about 80# which is weight in the pic with those 12.5# plates and it felt like the full bar minus the balance issues of the full bar. Will have it available for warmups and spectators to try during the comp.

- Aaron

54233794_2555235971156652_128722222855487488_n.thumb.jpg.000fa5951bbafc8e92bf864c3837d41f.jpg

• Like 11

acorn

I guess you could say it is getting pretty serious with the Texas crew including Tanner coming out now. Tanner will you be in the 105Kg?

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid

Tanner Merkle - 105Kg - Paid

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Edited by acorn
  • Like 3

Vinnie

Look at that list of competitors.  If I am able to make it, I may have to switch from the men's 83K to the women's division, and I might be last in that, too.

But seriously, that short Saxon bar rig looks awesome, I love Saxon bar.  I was doing the full one this past Saturday for the second time.  Upped my PR to about 205, which might be only a few pounds short of not being less than every guy on that competitor list.  At least some of you probably warm up with less anyway.  So my birthday gift to myself:  if I don't make it to the comp, I should at least be able to afford to get myself a Saxon bar instead! 

See y'all, here if not there.

• Like 4

Vinnie
Just now, Vinnie said:

See y'all, here if not there.

That y'all was fer y'all southerners.  My people prefer "yous."

• Like 3

bwwm

Got the Platform finished up.  It ain't pretty, but it ain't breaking. 😉

IMG_20190316_153412552.jpg

IMG_20190316_153419420.jpg

• Like 5

JHenze646
3 hours ago, bwwm said:

Got the Platform finished up.  It ain't pretty, but it ain't breaking. 😉

IMG_20190316_153412552.jpg

IMG_20190316_153419420.jpg

What is the top made from?

Boulderbrew
8 hours ago, acorn said:

Tanner will you be in the 105Kg?

Yup, I have been eating well haha. My work just gave me the weekend off. I’m excited to see you guys again. 2017 Cactus grip shootout was so fun, that was my first real competition. 

• Like 2

Boulderbrew

Maybe Nationals was just before that....I don’t recall now. Either way! 

Boulderbrew
5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Upped my PR to about 205, which might be only a few pounds short of not being less than every guy on that competitor list.  At least some of you probably warm up with less anyway.

Pshh idk man. You may beat me with that. I really wanna come out for the comradery, but I haven’t been able to do any narrow pinch with my left hand in a couple months...I am working with a nagging thumb injury at the moment. Thickbar is a go though!

• Like 1

bwwm
3 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

What is the top made from?

That's cut up from a massive piece of angle iron the guy who sold me my tractor gave me.  All that metal is 1/2" thick.  I cut right before the corner so there would be a nice lip to keep the bells from rolling off.  The slats are welded on from both the top and bottom.  I threw all the amps my Lincoln 180 could put in it, and had just enough wire feed to keep the arc going to be sure I had plenty of penetration with the solid core.  

• Like 2

JHenze646
5 hours ago, bwwm said:

That's cut up from a massive piece of angle iron the guy who sold me my tractor gave me.  All that metal is 1/2" thick.  I cut right before the corner so there would be a nice lip to keep the bells from rolling off.  The slats are welded on from both the top and bottom.  I threw all the amps my Lincoln 180 could put in it, and had just enough wire feed to keep the arc going to be sure I had plenty of penetration with the solid core.  

I like it.

• Like 1

acorn
On 3/18/2019 at 12:23 PM, acorn said:

I finished this guy up Saturday night. Pivoting Saxon top for my solid loading pin. Same 2x5 dimension as my main bar and I expect it to feel like the full length bar with this center pivot setup. Will be testing this week 2H. Tested this weekend with one hand at about 80# which is weight in the pic with those 12.5# plates and it felt like the full bar minus the balance issues of the full bar. Will have it available for warmups and spectators to try during the comp.

- Aaron

54233794_2555235971156652_128722222855487488_n.thumb.jpg.000fa5951bbafc8e92bf864c3837d41f.jpg

Taking this beasty to the gym tonight to do a little testing. Supposed to be deloading though so I am going to try hard not to max out.

- Aaron

• Like 4

Anton.Torrella

That swiveling 2x5" pinch block looks great Aaron - I had the pleasure of getting some pulls in on Nate's FBBC 2x5" saxon bar this Saturday with Vinnie and a bunch of the other guys and its definitely the most comfortable pinch width I've ever used - also got around 205lbs too which is the most I've ever pulled on any two-hand pinch lift period - part of that is also Nate's grip shrine's magic seasoning imbued on any object that lives in there - definitely looking forward to training on this width regularly - you clearly know what you're doing good sir!

• Like 2

Adam Juncker
11 hours ago, acorn said:

Taking this beasty to the gym tonight to do a little testing. Supposed to be deloading though so I am going to try hard not to max out.

- Aaron

I will hopefully get a chance to try this when we come down.  If I like it, I may convert my Saxon bar to this to save some space.  

• Like 1

Vinnie
14 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

That swiveling 2x5" pinch block looks great Aaron - I had the pleasure of getting some pulls in on Nate's FBBC 2x5" saxon bar this Saturday with Vinnie and a bunch of the other guys and its definitely the most comfortable pinch width I've ever used - also got around 205lbs too which is the most I've ever pulled on any two-hand pinch lift period - part of that is also Nate's grip shrine's magic seasoning imbued on any object that lives in there - definitely looking forward to training on this width regularly - you clearly know what you're doing good sir!

Shhh Anton, we were dancing on the edge of impressive with those pulls, we don't have to tell them it was Nate's special sauce and not us ...

But seriously, Nate's implements are really ideal.  I love working out on them.

• Like 2