Brian Shaw and the Hub

UnomeKC

7 hours ago, James Fuller said:

Super impressive! A plate hub lift is way harder than a lift with an hub implement! And way more stylish also!

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, Tommy J. said:

Holy moly.. playing with 90 lbs on a greasy looking hub with strict thumb placement?..

not to mention that Brians hight means he has to hang onto it longer to lock it out than just about all of us.

Not to take jabs.. but lets be real here, John. I remember there being some contraversy over your grip or Zacks grip on the hub? Cant remember which one of you it was who was accused of using too much bent thumb? Regardless,

Brian did it strict grip. Just sayin’

I have a feeling that Juji will hand Brian some grippers whenever they collab. So that day will come as well.

and why are you bored Gil? Not interesting seeing actual pro strength athletes performing in gripsport disciplines? Id say its much more interesting than if the average grip guy attempted strongman feats. Lol

On the elephant comment, i have a story about a humble elephant i heard once.. it goes like this:

a lion was strutting across a prairie and spotted a baboon minding his own business.. the lion runs up on the baboon, lets out a big roar as he shows his teeth to the baboon and says “rrrroooaaarrr!!!! WHO’S THE BADDEST IN THE JUNGLE?!?”

the frightened baboon says “y’y’you are mr lion! You are!”

the lion, after hearing what he needed to hear, prances away.

later that day the lion spots a water buffalo grazing. 

The lion runs up on the water buffalo and says “rrrrrooooaaaarrr! WHO’S THE BADDEST IN THIS LAND?!?”

the frightened water buffalo tells the lion what he wants to hear, and again, the proud lion prances off.

later that day the lion spots an elephant grazing.. runs up on the elephant and repeats his usual.. 

the elephant, unimpressed, scoffs and ignores the lion.. 

the lion, now in a rage, and not to be ignored, jumps up on the elephants back, sinks his claws in the elephants hide and repeats himself..

the elephant, now also frustrated, reaches up with his trunk, grabs the elephant by his tail, and proceeds to slam the lion into the ground 5 or 6 times as hard as he can..

the lion, now having a moment of clarity, limps away from the elephant with his head down. He looks back at the elephant and says “geeze mr. elephant, you didnt have to be an asshole because you didnt know the answer to the question...”

😆

moral of the story is- always somebody badder. Regardless of ones status quo as being the “king”.

i think the days of sub 300lb guys thinking they are the strongest in grip are coming to an end. Sorry the strongmen, like the humble elephant in the story, dont know the answer you want to hear about who is the baddest grip guy.

Very true. But dude, WSM is WSM in the end. Brian, Hafthor and these group can reach very high levels with the right training. We might as well see a 300 pounds euro lift. Heck, even Kirill the raw bench press record holder can beat most (if not any) grip guy in comp, no offence dudes. But we see the top tier grip guys to hold their own or even beat them. People like Kody, Laine Snook,...etc But if you took the average, the strongman are obviously stronger.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, Wannagrip said:

I don't really think anyone here would think a  multiple world strongest man who is freaking HUGE would not likey smoke everyone if they actually devoted significant effort in technique, training the grip feats, etc.

Actually you're wrong Bill. Unfortunately, some do think like that. Same as the old 2006 topic in the AW section Brzenk VS Magnus. Many thought Magnus will smoke John Brzenk when we saw John's younger brother who was much weaker than John beat Magnus.

On 10/2/2018 at 3:22 PM, Tommy J. said:

Oh, I know. Everyone else is beginning to realize this as well.

Unfortunately, its more and more apparent that no one here wants to see Brian actually compete in a grip comp. hints the push for testing in comps.

but now its gone further than an attempt to block guys like Brian from competition. Now, we have Gil all but saying they dont even want to see Brian do grip feats. Because hes so strong its “boring” to even watch?..

help me understand the logic?

I don't know that. You see, there is a big strongman comp in Dubai on the 26 of Oct. Brian, Hafthor, and the likes are there. Top tier one strongmen. I want to invite as many as I can to come and compete in the King Kong one day after. Now this is up to their host to agree first, then up to them. But I got few funny "threats" emails if I got the strongmen to compete in King Kong lol. 

Edit: In no way I am hinting it was Gil. But I did get the funny emails.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:36 AM, James Fuller said:

It certainly MAY but, it certainly DOESN'T feel like it!! I think the hardest part was lowering it under control simply cuz I HAD to!!

If it helps, I've also done this for whatever its worth:

Impressive!

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Thanks 1

You are talking arm wrestling not grip feats in your example. There is a HUGE technique element to arm wrestling that is not to that level in grip feats.  Look at what Shaw has already done by just dabbling a bit in grip not fully specializing.  We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

24 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Very true. But dude, WSM is WSM in the end. Brian, Hafthor and these group can reach very high levels with the right training. We might as well see a 300 pounds euro lift. Heck, even Kirill the raw bench press record holder can beat most (if not any) grip guy in comp, no offence dudes. But we see the top tier grip guys to hold their own or even beat them. People like Kody, Laine Snook,...etc But if you took the average, the strongman are obviously stronger.

Actually you're wrong Bill. Unfortunately, some do think like that. Same as the old 2006 topic in the AW section Brzenk VS Magnus. Many thought Magnus will smoke John Brzenk when we saw John's younger brother who was much weaker than John beat Magnus.

I don't know that. You see, there is a big strongman comp in Dubai on the 26 of Oct. Brian, Hafthor, and the likes are there. Top tier one strongmen. I want to invite as many as I can to come and compete in the King Kong one day after. Now this is up to their host to agree first, then up to them. But I got few funny "threats" emails if I got the strongmen to compete in King Kong lol. 

Edit: In no way I am hinting it was Gil. But I did get the funny emails.

Impressive!

You got threats about that? Serious threat or comical threat?

14 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

You are talking arm wrestling not grip feats in your example. There is a HUGE technique element to arm wrestling that is not to that level in grip feats.  Look at what Shaw has already done by just dabbling a bit in grip not fully specializing.  We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

I believe although technique and experience is important, but the superior wrist strength is the finishers. Anyway, the point is, yes there are people who believe the top huge strongman have no chance.

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You got threats about that? Serious threat or comical threat?

Nothing serious. But like we will ban you from the sport by promoting you are doping. We will also ban you from Facebook grip page. And will ban all the strongman from NAGS and other organization except the Middle East one. It is funny :D 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I believe although technique and experience is important, but the superior wrist strength is the finishers. Anyway, the point is, yes there are people who believe the top huge strongman have no chance.

Nothing serious. But like we will ban you from the sport by promoting you are doping. We will also ban you from Facebook grip page. And will ban all the strongman from NAGS and other organization except the Middle East one. It is funny :D 

Hahahahaha what???

Just to clarify, I have never said that I don't want pro strongmen to compete in grip. I just said I was getting a little bored with the "Brian Shaw Lifts a Ton of Weight on a Grip Implement" videos because, when taking his enormous stature into consideration, it's pretty much expected that he will lift more than almost anybody, especially when the records are set by people that only weigh 50-75% of what he does.

And I would NEVER threaten anyone about pro strongmen entering competitions. 1.) I think their interest would grow the sport, even amongst hobbyists, and 2.) I have no incentive to keep them out anyway, there aren't any pro strongmen in my weight class, so I would still be competing against Kody, Eric, Jouni, and Luke.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

Phil Pfister visited Jedd one time if memory serves me correctly.  I'm sure Jedd remembers his numbers but I seem to think he Euro pinched something like 230 something his first try.  Huge men with huge hands (who train very hard) are very strong - as should be expected.

• Like 2