How to proceed with grippers

Lennix

Hello!

4 months ago i bought my first CoC#2 closed it on my second attempt. Last friday i bought CoC#2.5 and CoC#3 and actually managed to close both on my first try.

Until now i've trained 2 times a week like this:  warmup, 5 -10x3 reps on #1.5, then 5x5 on  #2. After these sets i did coinholds with the the #2 (which I am really bad at, around 15 seconds max)

I don't have equipment for any other kind of grip training and my goal is to get certified with the #3 so how should i proceed to reach my goal?

Edited by Lennix
Video + spelling
  • Like 2

Just now, Hopefully said:

Congrats to your crush genetics! I hope you attempt to develop your gift as far as possible. 

Thank you! That's the idea, see how far I can take it. 

Don't change what you are doing right now if you know you're getting stronger.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the compliments! I've tried it twice after this close and missed with 2mm both times, my hands are pretty fried. When your hooked it's hard to rest enough. I guess ill continue with what im doing and hopefully it will bring me closer to the CCS close! Still welcoming any tips and trix and programming.

18 hours ago, Lennix said:

4 months ago i bought my first CoC#2 closed it on my second attempt. Last friday i bought CoC#2.5 and CoC#3 and actually managed to close both on my first try. 

Can I say I hate you? Have been training for years and years but never closed a #3 yet.

Just keep doing what you are doing you've got monster genetics. #3 cert will be easy for you.

I would start practicing some credit card set closes.  Or throw a few into your routine to start getting it do down pat.

20 hours ago, Lennix said:

Hello!

Until now i've trained 2 times a week like this:  warmup, 5 -10x3 reps on #1.5, then 5x5 on  #2. After these sets i did coinholds with the the #2 (which I am really bad at, around 15 seconds max)

I don't have equipment for any other kind of grip training and my goal is to get certified with the #3 so how should i proceed to reach my goal?

So strong well done! I'm envious of your strength! I'm about 10mm away from the #3. No training though hehe.

One of the memories I have that will stick forever is of Heath Sexton and how fast he closed a #3 and the fact we thought he was a troll. :) 

You remind me of that memory.

The fact you closed a #3 so quickly indicates to me you likely have great genetics to go high up the ladder of crushing strength.

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Well, I have been training since februari or so this year and while I haven't closed my #3 yet I have made great gains from my starting point. 

What has bringed me the most success is to do high volume heavy singles with a filed gripper. You take your 2.5, file it down untill you can just close it, then do heavy singles with that. When it feels easy, start filing it more. Repeat untill your 2.5 becomes too easy or untill you have filed it close to the middle of the handle, then continue on with the same thing with your current 3. Very simple. 

Many guys seem to have had the most success with this layout or similar, not all use a filed gripper but I'd say that's better than not using one. 

You can also take a gripper that you can't close, and just attempt to close each workout untill you do then take a next goal gripper. You will get further each workout for a while untill you reach a plateau or burn out your cns. But it does work. Particularly gifted guys have gone very far with this approach. Very simple.

A safe bet though is to just look up chez video 'how I train grippers' and use that system untill you get to know yourself better and can tweak your training to best suit you. 

Thanks for input!  definitely have to get a filed one in the future. I guess that's what I am doing with the #3 until it gets to easy!

I'll look into Chez videos!

3 hours ago, Royz said:

Can I say I hate you? Have been training for years and years but never closed a #3 yet.

Just keep doing what you are doing you've got monster genetics. #3 cert will be easy for you.

Haha, that's okay I got it a few times when it comes to training!

Thanks buddy!

1 hour ago, kasparov said:

So strong well done! I'm envious of your strength! I'm about 10mm away from the #3. No training though hehe.

Thank  you!

2 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

I would start practicing some credit card set closes.  Or throw a few into your routine to start getting it do down pat.

15 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

One of the memories I have that will stick forever is of Heath Sexton and how fast he closed a #3 and the fact we thought he was a troll. :) 

You remind me of that memory.

The fact you closed a #3 so quickly indicates to me you likely have great genetics to go high up the ladder of crushing strength.

In my ladder up to working sets I will be doing some CCS on the 1.5 and 2 to get used to it . I am just curious on how many sets up to the singles on #3.  Since i just got the 2.5 i dont know how to implement it into my routine, if i should go 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 -3 or if that's to much? ex: 5x3 CCS on #1.5 3x3 on #2 and perhaps 2x2 on 2.5 and then proceed to do 5? singels on nr 3.

Happy to bring you some happy memories back! You can see almost all my workouts on youtube since i started with stronglifts and where i bought my first gripper! There's also my 2 tries on thumbless deadlift where i did 210kg. 462lbs.

I sure hope i can go further!

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Thanks for input!  definitely have to get a filed one in the future. I guess that's what I am doing with the #3 until it gets to easy!

I'll look into Chez videos!

Haha, that's okay I got it a few times when it comes to training!

Thanks buddy!

Thank  you!

In my ladder up to working sets I will be doing some CCS on the 1.5 and 2 to get used to it . I am just curious on how many sets up to the singles on #3.  Since i just got the 2.5 i dont know how to implement it into my routine, if i should go 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 -3 or if that's to much? ex: 5x3 CCS on #1.5 3x3 on #2 and perhaps 2x2 on 2.5 and then proceed to do 5? singels on nr 3.

Happy to bring you some happy memories back! You can see almost all my workouts on youtube since i started with stronglifts and where i bought my first gripper! There's also my 2 tries on thumbless deadlift where i did 210kg. 462lbs.

I sure hope i can go further!

What’s your you tube page?