Will there be a Gold Nail cert within ...

Tom Flesher

1 year of this post?

I was browsing another forum and saw that @anwnate had made an offer - no one accepted - to bet that there would be three US gold nail certs by 6/30/2018. (Stakes were an ironmind gripper.)

It’s obvious that it’s unlikely Nate would have won his bet, but are we any closer than we were in 2015?

In the spirit of the original offer, I propose the following. Nate gets right of first refusal, but if he declines I’ll take the bet against whomever responds first. I bet that on June 1, 2019, there will be 0 names on the Gold Nail Roster. The person who accepts this bet bets that there will be at least one. Stakes are a gripper of the winner’s choice, in stock at Cannon at the time the winner is determined. (If you’d rather put up a gripper from your collection, that’s acceptable too. We can hammer out alternative stakes if you want.)

so what do you say? Does anyone want to take this bet?

• Like 3

If there is anyone to cert within this year most likely it'll be juha lehtimaki. Since he is the only one who bent one in IMPs only.

Edited by Danny Young
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m working on it guys...  June 1st it is gentlemen!!  💪🏻💪🏻💯

• Like 8

5 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

I'll never be happier to lose a bet!

5 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Really disappointed more folk arent liking this. Taking down a gold, and at the age rob is would be special. I dont know Rob super personally, but I know enough to know this gentleman is a silent killer and super modest. Some of the best wrists in NC. Im hoping deep in my heart you get this brother..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

You can do it Robert. Go after it!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Great to hear! Maybe that also help me to find my motivation to bend steel again.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the kind words & encouragement guys..   really means a lot to me!  

I hit a major Armwrestling goal I had been after for a long time (National title). 💪🏻

I’m now back steel bending & feeling fairly good considering my age..  while still maintaining Armwrestling training with my team of guys in NC!  

I’ve taken down a few Golds in my day in doubles but not recently...   we’ll see how it goes! 👍🏻

Love to see Juha get back in the race with me... he was a lot closer than me certing!!  You are a mutant my friend...  Remind me of Paul Knight back in the day!  💪🏻

My good buddy James Retarides says he thinks I can do it...  and he generally knows my capabilities better than I do!  (My old Armwrestling coach & best friend)!  😎 👍🏻 

Thanks again guys & I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress!!  💪🏻💯

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, robertmiller67 said:

Thanks for all the kind words & encouragement guys..   really means a lot to me!  

I hit a major Armwrestling goal I had been after for a long time (National title). 💪🏻

I’m now back steel bending & feeling fairly good considering my age..  while still maintaining Armwrestling training with my team of guys in NC!  

I’ve taken down a few Golds in my day in doubles but not recently...   we’ll see how it goes! 👍🏻

Love to see Juha get back in the race with me... he was a lot closer than me certing!!  You are a mutant my friend...  Remind me of Paul Knight back in the day!  💪🏻

My good buddy James Retarides says he thinks I can do it...  and he generally knows my capabilities better than I do!  (My old Armwrestling coach & best friend)!  😎 👍🏻 

Thanks again guys & I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress!!  💪🏻💯

Its great to see you back at it Robert! I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck!

• Like 2

Robert, I second James’s opinion! You are one of the few with the potential of certing on the Ironmind Gold nail.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, robertmiller67 said:

Awesome to hear ... kill it man!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Its great to see you back at it Robert! I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck!

Don - 

I'd put you on this list too, if not now than definitely soon ... people realistically (able to) gunning for the Gold!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buccos1 said:

Don - 

I'd put you on this list too, if not now than definitely soon ... people realistically (able to) gunning for the Gold!

I am a long way from a gold nail. Maybe down the road if I keep progressing, but lots of work to do before then. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Robert, I second James’s opinion! You are one of the few with the potential of certing on the Ironmind Gold nail.

Thanks for the kind words Wiggy..  you are PFP one of the strongest benders in the world Imo!  

You should jump in the race too brother!  💪🏻💯

@James Retarides tells me I’m capable of certing & I trust his judgment a lot..   we shall see as I have a whole year to work!!  💪🏻💪🏻

• Like 2

so good to see Robert making a go at the gold!!!!!! ive been out of bending for almost a year after bending a 6.5" Fbbc duke of all bastards.......tempted to make a comeback now as Roberts videos were some which really motivated me during my journey!!!! 

saying that....im only weighing 150lbs at moment and about 8% bodyfat LOL........might need to bulk up! :-)

• Like 4

think I was about 10lb or so heavier at the time I did the FBBC 6.5 duke.....not entirely sure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

So Robert, how do you plan on preparing to take down the gold?

Any particular diet?

Are you planning on training strictly with imp's or only 8" stock? 

I'm sure you have some ideas?

It would be great to hear how you plan to take her down.

I gotta tell ya J - I’m at the lightest weight I’ve been in years but it doesn’t seem to hurt my bending strength at all..  as of yet!  We will see when I actually start bending the real IM cold rolled stuff!  😮 (CRS)

I’m around 215 -220 these days & it’s actually helped my flexibility imo...  less bulk in my arms & shoulders & I can get the bar higher under my chin for better leverage!  My kink is definitely better which is always my strong suit anyways...  my crush may have lost a little from when I was a full fledged SHW!?  😬 👍🏻

Wish I had @Splendo Daniels crush strength!! 

As far as training my hands & wrist are stronger than ever imo due to Armwrestling for the last 1-1/2 years!  

I’m doing a bunch of extra shoulder / upper back work as well as tons of sledgehammer work for the wrist!  The stuff I normally do in addition to heavy gripper chest crushes also..

I also do special ISO work with re-bar...  some “secret Soviet training” stuff I do that I really can’t talk about!  Jk..  😬😎 I do use rebar for training though...  I’ll elaborate if you guys care to hear?

proby have to post some pics to explain though.  Thanks again guys!   Cheers!  👍🏻😎

• Like 3

Thanks Tom..  I’ll have to post some pics to explain I’m sure.  

I have like 3-different 1/2” rebar’s I use to simulate bending in different positions.  

1 for kink 1-for sweep & 1-for crush..  or I use heavy gripper chest crushes!  They’re really good for ISO work imo & save $$ on buying steel!  👍🏻💰

Im not the most technical bender but I have my moments!   @anwnate trained me on all the technical stuff...  I’m more of a force of nature!  😆😬💪🏻

• Like 5

Its exciting to hear you're going to train for the gold nail cert - best luck with your training and I also look forward to hearing your progress as well - I like using a heavy gripper for chest crush training too and using pieces of 1/2" rebar to train isos on the kink, sweep, and crush sound really cool - definitely worth having some reusable bending training tools

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 9:59 PM, Donc101 said:

I am a long way from a gold nail. Maybe down the road if I keep progressing, but lots of work to do before then. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

I definitely think you'll be able to bend a gold down the road too - you've made sick progress and get more impressive with each bend man

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

I definitely think you'll be able to bend a gold down the road too - you've made sick progress and get more impressive with each bend man

Thanks so much Anton! This stuff is too much fun to stop hitting it hard!

• Like 1

I think after I finish up a few more goals of mine. I will go after the Ironmind gold. I should've done it a long time ago but I got caught up in other things.

• Like 2