Unbraced Benders Where Ya'll At???

Martin Gaisser

23 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

They aren't really used during the actual bending, although they can be used to get the blood flowing a little. I mostly use them the evening after a hard bending session and on days in between workouts. They are bands as in rubber band. inronmind sells them. Or you can just get them off a  head of broccoli or wherever else. Have you used or heard of them?

Ok thanks, yes I've heard of them haven't tried them much though. Are you wrapping them around the fingertips and opening and closing your hands?

Just getting in to this unbraced bending thing. Have not heard of this wizardry before.

I did bend my first 60d on April 21st and finished an unofficial bastard (5/16"x7" 1018) today. All single leathers. Those fat wraps people are cheaters.

Hoping to certify on the red nail. I've heard Randall Strossen never deletes a name from the list once they have certified so I will be preserved in eternity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, vikingsrule92 said:

Just getting in to this unbraced bending thing. Have not heard of this wizardry before.

I did bend my first 60d on April 21st and finished an unofficial bastard (5/16"x7" 1018) today. All single leathers. Those fat wraps people are cheaters.

Hoping to certify on the red nail. I've heard Randall Strossen never deletes a name from the list once they have certified so I will be preserved in eternity.

I hate guys like you

”just getting started at this *insert sport or task* hits elite level out the gate. Wtf.

10 hours ago, vikingsrule92 said:

Derek?! You friend of Aaron and Rex? Long time no post man. What just got into bending? Haha. The dude was with me long ago when we bent a FBBC Shiny bastard. We were one of the firsts to bend it. You also certed on a red nail but asked IM later to remove it if memory serves me right. I take your comment as a joke. Good to see you back buddy.

4 hours ago, KapMan said:

I hate guys like you

”just getting started at this *insert sport or task* hits elite level out the gate. Wtf.

Naah he is a veteran bender.

As for me I kinda lost interest in bending. Was doing really good when we bent metal. But things shifted. More into grip now than bending. Don't bend now but I know I can bend a Red at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Derek?! You friend of Aaron and Rex? Long time no post man. What just got into bending? Haha. The dude was with me long ago when we bent a FBBC Shiny bastard. We were one of the firsts to bend it. You also certed on a red nail but asked IM later to remove it if memory serves me right. I take your comment as a joke. Good to see you back buddy.

As for me I kinda lost interest in bending. Was doing really good when we bent metal. But things shifted. More into grip now than bending. Don't bend now but I know I can bend a Red at least.

I was fixing to say the same thing.  Lol. I was like I remember that guy or he just happened to choose a good screen name.  Yea he’s no beginner by any means.  He was bending cut down reds when he still looked about 13. Lol. No offense man but I was always like dang that kids got some power.  Best of luck getting back into bending. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 3:53 AM, Alawadhi said:

No. I am the noob. I has no idea about these things.

I did not ask for my IM Red to be taken down. Strossen took that down by force and without my opinion because he's a ... well I'll just leave the obscenities out of it. That was a joke but more poking fun at the Czar of Ironmind than anything else.

Thanks Alawadhi. Good to see there are still some names I recognize.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:26 AM, Martin Gaisser said:

I was fixing to say the same thing.  Lol. I was like I remember that guy or he just happened to choose a good screen name.  Yea he’s no beginner by any means.  He was bending cut down reds when he still looked about 13. Lol. No offense man but I was always like dang that kids got some power.  Best of luck getting back into bending. 

No one else in their right mind likes the Vikings so it's just the same old me back again. I think my first Bastard was 15 so I'll choose to take offense to the young comment. Thanks man.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, Jlark27 said:

Making a comeback! 

I was just watching you take down a 6" golden hex the other day. Insane strength at your size! I'm still trying to get just the regular golden hex. 

Have you not been bending or just haven't uploaded anything in a while? 

Either way, good luck and welcome back!

Please don't watch those old videos. I absolutely can't stand looking at my young self with the Beatles hairdo. I do miss the strength though.

I actually did (re)start bending on April 21st. I'll try to post another video soon when I can bend something respectable. I've lost a lot of weight and strength so I was actually quite surprised to be back to Bastard level stuff so quickly.

I am only using single wraps for now too so I can avoid the fervent hate mongering from those who say I used to just fold my bends with giant fat pads on the end. Talking to you Josh Dale (and many others).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vikingsrule92 said:

Please don't watch those old videos. I absolutely can't stand looking at my young self with the Beatles hairdo.

Yet, I can’t imagine you with any other hairstyle🤣

Good to see you back Derek!

• Haha 1

This thread inspired me to start a bending training log thread! I'm working on 8" stock in IMPs for now. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, Jlark27 said:

I always thought you used the same padding as me. Hmm.  Okay, no more old videos. New ones coming soon I hope. Doing any single wrap stuff?

I used to use IM pads with FBBC suedes over top. I just make jokes because people made jokes at my expense for the fat pads. I honestly don't judge and my hands are definitely healing slower in single wraps. I've been using just 4.5"x12" Leathers now but I do have some stuff to possibly use for thinner doubles or longer singles for future.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, crushonomics said:

This thread inspired me to start a bending training log thread! I'm working on 8" stock in IMPs for now. 

Awesome man!!!  Looking forward to seeing you progress!

No motivation anymore😔, still able to bend big bars but I have other goals now.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

Sorry to hear that. You were knocking on the door of the biggest offical ironmind bend. 

Best of luck on your new goals though

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

sad to hear since you were so close. I'm sure you will excel in your new goals.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

May I ask why you're not motivated anymore? I was 100% sure you would cert the gold nail. It's a shame that you don't want to go for it anymore.

But as the others said, best of luck with your other goals.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, Jlark27 said:

That's the same thing I use when I'm working on bars that will rip my fingers open. What did you say your current goal was? Or do you not have one? 

I havent used leathers in a long time. They feel weird to me.

Unclear. Short term was originally a bastard but then I bent a Huge Bastard today ...

My long-ish term goal is a Mag Shiny and Mag Hex. That would put me above where I was at 18 when I left the sport. Also a cut Edgin would be nice.

New short term ... let's go Huge Shiny and Big Hex. Seems possible before my 26th Birthday in 5 weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

I agree, if your already able to bend a huge bastard now, with consistent training 5 weeks is definitely possible.

Are you going to post any videos soon?

Those are good bars to bridge the gap.

Keep in mind that batches vary a bit over time. It seems that either the current bastards are harder or that the current shinys are softer. Back in the day we used to say that a 5.5” bastard is pretty similar to a 7” shiny. But that is probably not accurate these days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

I agree, if your already able to bend a huge bastard now, with consistent training 5 weeks is definitely possible.

Are you going to post any videos soon?

Those are good bars to bridge the gap.

I'll try for some videos in the next few weeks. I lost my camcorder somewhere so I need to wait until my girlfriend returns or find a phone tripod thing.

14 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Keep in mind that batches vary a bit over time. It seems that either the current bastards are harder or that the current shinys are softer. Back in the day we used to say that a 5.5” bastard is pretty similar to a 7” shiny. But that is probably not accurate these days.

I always felt a huge bastard and shiny were comparable but it's not the same for everyone. I think I hit the huge, then shiny, then grand with a decent break in between each one. I still have some old stuff luckily. This is either the 440 or 420 bastard batch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 3:14 AM, vikingsrule92 said:

Unclear. Short term was originally a bastard but then I bent a Huge Bastard today ...

My long-ish term goal is a Mag Shiny and Mag Hex. That would put me above where I was at 18 when I left the sport. Also a cut Edgin would be nice.

New short term ... let's go Huge Shiny and Big Hex. Seems possible before my 26th Birthday in 5 weeks.

I have bent a year or so back a shiny from FBBC. It was so easy. Like the 385 bastard with a little harder crush.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, David_wigren said:

Exactly

On 6/1/2018 at 6:01 PM, Danny Young said:

A 5.5" bastard is far harder than a shiny @7"

Oh sir no you are not correct. Back then a Shiny was way harder than the softies nowadays. If not a 5.5 then surely 5.75".

On 6/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, Alawadhi said:

I have bent a year or so back a shiny from FBBC. It was so easy. Like the 385 bastard with a little harder crush.

Exactly

Oh sir no you are not correct. Back then a Shiny was way harder than the softies nowadays. If not a 5.5 then surely 5.75".

The steels hardness and characteristics play more of a role than just their yield strength. Currently this batch of june 2018 is a lot harder a sexabastard if not equal.

Edited by Danny Young

I think the rating system is the best way to track the strength of the steel bars. From what I know the bastards have varied from 380-510 at 7” with the old Milfeld/Krahling way of rating steel. And the stainless bars have varied between 380-560 lbs at 7”.

So with this current generation of steel batches from FBBC, the bastards are probably hard and the stainless are probably soft, judging by the progress of all the current active steel benders. 

15 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I think the rating system is the best way to track the strength of the steel bars. From what I know the bastards have varied from 380-510 at 7” with the old Milfeld/Krahling way of rating steel. And the stainless bars have varied between 380-560 lbs at 7”.

So with this current generation of steel batches from FBBC, the bastards are probably hard and the stainless are probably soft, judging by the progress of all the current active steel benders. 

Assuming it was grade 303 still.

• 1 month later...

Working on the “Gold” again myself...  still a ways off in singles though.  😮

Juha & Tommy are absolute beast...  hope to get you 2-guys back in the race too!?  

Cheers gentlemen!

- Rob 

• Like 2

Thanks Tommy!  

I took almost 2-years off myself for the same reasons...  I armwrestle & do KB/ CrossFit training as well.  

They don’t always bode well with bending- esp. at a high level-hard to excel at both at the same time!  

I currently still armwrestle but mostly training other new guys & maintenance work for me. 

Good luck with the lifting brother and look forward to hearing your progress as well! 

💪🏻💪🏻😎- Rob 

• 4 weeks later...

I just started bending again as of today. I certified on the Red in 2005. Worked on other things and want to do the Red again. Kinked it in leather today on my first day back. I'm not a big fan of leather wraps but I'm using it as kind of a bridge between Blue in IMP and Red in IMP.

• Like 2