Plate Pinches: Relative Difficulty

Adam Juncker

I'd like to know what people think about the relative difficulty of various combinations of plate pinches.  I'm working on a contest and so I want to set up a realistic scale in which to score things that will encourage people to use some strategy.  

So how would you rate the following plate pinch variations from easiest to hardest.  This is what I'm thinking:

1. 2-25's

2. 4-10s

3. 2-35s

4. 3-25s

5. 5-10s

6. 2-45s

7. 3-35s

8. 6-10s

9. 3-45s

Any other plate combos I'm missing?

I realize that the kind of plates that are used can make a huge difference.  I'm just looking for a general consensus, and or, some opinions about the relative difficulty of these plate pinches.   I hope to do a contest format similar to @JHenze646's "April Rolls".  

• Like 4

I would say to switch 5-10s and 3-25s.

This is awesome to see. I really like online challenges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

would say to switch 5-10s and 3-25s.

Definately agree here 

• Like 1

Is this all one handed? Only reason I ask is that you have 3 45s listed. That has to be two hands right?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Is this all one handed? Only reason I ask is that you have 3 45s listed. That has to be two hands right?

That was my immediate reaction, unless you're just looking to have one impossible dream (as no one has ever done 3 45s in one hand, right?).

I have never tried 5 10s or 3 25s, but if I were guessing, I'd guess the 5 10s would be "easier" (using that term purely relatively of course).  Don't plates vary some in thickness?  That could make a huge difference, too, as you note.

Edited by Vinnie

and I think 3 - 35s one handed is harder than 6 -10s. I could be wrong but I think 3-35s is pretty rare. I kinda of remember some people (shaw, wade G) doing it with a pipe holding the plates together. 

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

I would say to switch 5-10s and 3-25s.

This is awesome to see. I really like online challenges.

This.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

and I think 3 - 35s one handed is harder than 6 -10s. I could be wrong but I think 3-35s is pretty rare. I kinda of remember some people (shaw, wade G) doing it with a pipe holding the plates together. 

...and this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Would all one handed vs all two handed affect the order?

20 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Would all one handed vs all two handed affect the order?

Most of these are pretty common goals with one hand. The only that really stands out as having to be two handed is the 3-45s since its never been done one handed (still tough two handed) and just doing 2-45s one hand is an elite lift.

The order wouldn't be affected by making it either all one or two handed though.  

Edited by Chez

As an experienced weak person, I would swap 4x10s and 2x25s. I can do the tens anytime but have to be warmed up for 25s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it also depends on the brand of plates used as well. Unless the 25 lb plates are really thin, high-end plates like Ivanko or Elieko, I truly feel that 3-25's is harder than 2-45's.  I also think that 8-5's could be added to this list. 

For someone who used to do a lot of plate pinching my list would look like the following:

2-25's

4-10's

2-35's

5-10's

8-5's

2-45's

3-25's

6-10's

3-35's (super elite)

3-45's (not happening in my opinion)

Edited by Billy Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Agreed. I've seen a few videos of 6 - 10s,  mostly done by members here.  Never seen 3 - 35s done one-handed without a pipe through the middle. 

14 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I'd like to know what people think about the relative difficulty of various combinations of plate pinches.  I'm working on a contest and so I want to set up a realistic scale in which to score things that will encourage people to use some strategy.  

So how would you rate the following plate pinch variations from easiest to hardest.  This is what I'm thinking:

1. 2-25's

2. 4-10s

3. 2-35s

4. 3-25s

5. 5-10s

6. 2-45s

7. 3-35s

8. 6-10s

9. 3-45s

I realize that the kind of plates that are used can make a huge difference.  I'm just looking for a general consensus, and or, some opinions about the relative difficulty of these plate pinches.   I hope to do a contest format similar to @JHenze646's "April Rolls".  

There is also 2x 25kg, 20kg + 25Kg, 4x 10kg and 3x 25Kg for 2 hands.

Thanks for the feedback to all. Yes. All lifts are one handed.  I remember reading about a few members working towards 3-45s so that is why I included it.  I realize that it would be the most elite plate pinch ever.... 

Just now, acorn said:

There is also 2x 25kg, 20kg + 25Kg, 4x 10kg and 3x 25Kg for 2 hands.

I should have mentioned that I will include the kilo plates in this. From what I have seen, calibrated plates are much thinner and typically harder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thanks for the feedback to all. Yes. All lifts are one handed.  I remember reading about a few members working towards 3-45s so that is why I included it.  I realize that it would be the most elite plate pinch ever.... 

Yes I believe Kody was working towards a 3x20kg lift 1H. I personally think he will get it eventually if anyone could.

• Like 1

My ranking on these for 1H lifts would be

3x 10#

2x 25#

4x 10#

5x 10#

2x 35#

2x 45#

6x 10# (if hand can make the stretch)

3x 25#

3x 15kg

3x 35#

20KG + 25Kg 

4x 10kg

2x 25Kg

3x 20kg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Kody's 2 hand pinch is 270# so 3 x 45# (135#) sorta kinda might be possible for him :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, climber511 said:

Kody's 2 hand pinch is 270# so 3 x 45# (135#) sorta kinda might be possible for him :)

I read that he was training for it at one time or another.  For sure, its out there like #4 CCS, but someone will get it.   

20 hours ago, acorn said:

3x 10#

2x 25# / 2x 10k

4x 10#

5x 10#

2x 35# / 2 x 15k

2x 45#/ 2 x 20k

6x 10# (if hand can make the stretch)

3x 25# / 3 x 10k

3x 15kg

3x 35#

20KG + 25Kg 

4x 10kg

2x 25Kg

3x 20kg

@acorn, would you agree to this?  I know these aren't exact apples to apples, just trying to make sure people have options...

I'm also assuming that the relative difficulty between each is not the same.  As in, making the jump from 3-10s to 2-25s would have a difficulty level of, lets say 2, whereas once you get the 2-25s and train to get the 4-10s, getting the 4-10s would be a difficulty level of 2.25.  Again, just numbers to represent an idea, not an actual difficulty level. 

image.png.7b36482cd4624b00a606a9598ce783f7.pngimage.png.939d3b587e56bcb2fd923a49e025f6fa.png

Edited by Adam Juncker
Corrected chart

11 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

@acorn, would you agree to this?  I know these aren't exact apples to apples, just trying to make sure people have options...

I'm also assuming that the relative difficulty between each is not the same.  As in, making the jump from 3-10s to 2-25s would have a difficulty level of, lets say 2, whereas once you get the 2-25s and train to get the 4-10s, getting the 4-10s would be a difficulty level of 2.25.  Again, just numbers to represent an idea, not an actual difficulty level. 

image.png.7b36482cd4624b00a606a9598ce783f7.pngimage.png.939d3b587e56bcb2fd923a49e025f6fa.png

You need to put 3x10 kg before 2x15 kg and 2x20 kg. I have no experience with thicker plates but the competition plates are very difficult because they're so thin. I guess it depends on the hands, which width you're strongest at also, some people pinch really thin on the Euro, they definitely have an advantage for double plate pinching I think.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Hard to say if they could be lumped together or not on the kg vs pound plates. Really depends on the plates at that point as I have 2x 20kg plates at home of a variety I cannot recall at the moment I've done with like +25# added but 2x 20kg eleikos are way tougher than most 45s I have tried except the wide ones like yorks or my gibsons.  Same deal others as its totally variable depending on the plates as really how to exactly place them in difficulty order. All of that makes it hard for me to give a good answer on your relative difficulty charting question.

- Aaron

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2018 at 6:45 AM, Adam Juncker said:

1. 2-25's

2. 4-10s

3. 2-35s

4. 3-25s

5. 5-10s

6. 2-45s

7. 3-35s

8. 6-10s

9. 3-45s

This is my opinion. No list will really tell you what is hard and harder. You can get a rough idea but thats it. For example my 4 tens is harder than a blob. 5 tens not even Laine Snook did lift it. Jedd Johnson did but Laine could lift my 30KG blob and Jedd didn't. My two 35's plate is NOT easy at all. Jedd for example didn't do it as it was so slippery. My two 45's is very hard. My old york two 45's is out of this world even harder than 2 25'sKG. As for 3 25 pounds with my plate I don't think it can be done with normal training. One should train specifically for it. Imo, it'll be harder than my 2 45's which is very hard. I haven't had my hands on general plates. Maybe our weather is so humid things get messy and slippery. But from the videos I see generally I will put the following (based on what I see with nothing to do with my experience and I'll start with 2 25 pounds not anything less)

2 25's

5 10's

2 35's

2 45

6 tens

2 25 KG

I haven't seen 3 35's without a pipe. I heard Wade did it and Brian Shaw had a video with pipe but said who could without pipe (Or was it Brian Said he can and Wade had the video?). We have seen 3 33's but not 35's. But of course Brian is much stronger now. I believe he can easily do it. 3 45's lets forget it as Kody when he was very motivated on that he did 3 20KG with pipe (that makes a big difference) and got it inch or so while bracing against his legs. The plates were Ivanko I believe which fits very good too and the size of the three together is good. And we know who Kody is. Many WR's and the best pinch hold of 2 25's ever. So let's forget the 3 45's now which is thicker and more in pounds.

If I give my opinion based on my equipment's in my place then:

3 tens

2 25's standard

2 25 olympic

2 35 (harder than some 45's out there, very slippery and sharp)

4 tens (harder than a blob, very slippery and sharp)

5 tens

2 45

2 old deep dish york 45

• Thanks 1

Pretty much impossible to say except for broad guidelines.  I have a pair of the best 45s I have seen (not underweight either).  Any other pair of my 45s are considerably harder.  I can easily lift my 5 - 5K Eleiko plates and have done 6 of them a couple times because they match so well and don't "fan" - they are far easier than than any 5 -10s I have because of fit.  I have a pair of deep dish 35s that are as easy as my regular 35s.  My 3-25s are all hard no mater which pairing I make.  As feats of Grip strength go - plate pinching is one of the more variable tests we have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the feedback.  I appreciate you sharing your skills, knowledge, and experience.  It is helpful.