Steel Bending, Scrolling, Snapping and other forms of destruction

Donc101

10” spike towel bend for Beyond the Bend challenge.

024A4ACC-D191-48F8-81C8-8A9190AAA657.jpeg

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

At Slim’s last big birthday gathering, Pat Povilaitis gave me a bunch of these tough, old 70d nails. Thought one of those would be a good way to finish out the Beyond the Bend @beyondthebendpodcast towel bend challenge. Not sure if the steel was tougher than the Bastard I did the same way but it was harder because the sharp point was going right through the towel and into my skin. Video:

F829AE57-1DB6-4B31-B8CB-1BE35CF899EA.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 4:37 PM, Donc101 said:

At Slim’s last big birthday gathering, Pat Povilaitis gave me a bunch of these tough, old 70d nails. Thought one of those would be a good way to finish out the Beyond the Bend @beyondthebendpodcast towel bend challenge. Not sure if the steel was tougher than the Bastard I did the same way but it was harder because the sharp point was going right through the towel and into my skin. Video:

F829AE57-1DB6-4B31-B8CB-1BE35CF899EA.jpeg

first of all, great videos and excellent bends and scroll work... 

I've read some posts here and you said you've gone through 50lbs boxes of 60d nails.. I just got 3 boxes of them (on clearance from Home Depot),  roughly how many nails are in a box? Also got 2 boxes of 60d spirals... I think those are 40 or 50lbs as well.

15 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

first of all, great videos and excellent bends and scroll work... 

I've read some posts here and you said you've gone through 50lbs boxes of 60d nails.. I just got 3 boxes of them (on clearance from Home Depot),  roughly how many nails are in a box? Also got 2 boxes of 60d spirals... I think those are 40 or 50lbs as well.

Thank you sir.

The boxes I have had have roughly 575 ish nails in them. Have fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Thank you sir.

The boxes I have had have roughly 575 ish nails in them. Have fun!

damn, so I've got well over 2000 nails now..  That will keep be busy for awhile! I'm pretty sure all the Home Depots have put their nails on clearance. Go check them out if you need more nails. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steel bending practice at my house Sunday at 1:00. If you are a local bender or want to try bending, you are invited. I have lots of steel from different companies and we can try some certs too. I know @londonschuirmann, @miked4c, @meliora_chris, @hisandhersmacebells are coming. Also, maybe @rollstoohard and Darrin. #steelbending #michigansteelbendingandbreaking

23F4FDC1-6490-441A-BE51-83C7D50BC940.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I snapped 60 nails in honor of David Horne’s birthday today. He has always been a huge inspiration to me. One of the strongest people anywhere. David has done more for steel bending these past few years since I have been bending than anyone else. Thanks for all that you do my friend and have a great day! #worldofgrip #gripmasterbirthday #steelshredder @davidhornesworldofgrip

9F86C494-4A62-4D2A-B69B-0DFD96CDC3B9.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I snapped 60 nails in honor of David Horne’s birthday today. He has always been a huge inspiration to me. One of the strongest people anywhere. David has done more for steel bending these past few years since I have been bending than anyone else. Thanks for all that you do my friend and have a great day! #worldofgrip #gripmasterbirthday #steelshredder @davidhornesworldofgrip

9F86C494-4A62-4D2A-B69B-0DFD96CDC3B9.jpeg

A great way for a great man to honor another great man.

Happy Bday David..  I can't do strenuous activity yet but i'll have a belated snap session..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

A great way for a great man to honor another great man.

Happy Bday David..  I can't do strenuous activity yet but i'll have a belated snap session..

Thanks! Was a fun training day.

Don, your hands must be like two balls of thick leather. My hands would’ve been torn to shreds.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 4:09 AM, David_wigren said:

Don, your hands must be like two balls of thick leather. My hands would’ve been torn to shreds.

Thanks brother! Just saw your post. A couple tears but nothing too bad. Fun feat.

New steel scroll done today. 10 foot square stock bar.

90DAE782-8D1D-4970-B286-E270789FFE70.jpeg

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Great show at a luxury car dealership last night for their top customers. Here are some pics.

45075FFA-7D34-4299-B40E-02028C1CB661.jpeg

ADD471C6-8667-46E4-9DA8-46602B1FB2ED.jpeg

1B2EFBFD-2DB5-4236-99E3-CCFBBB6FB658.jpeg

ED88D78D-C80F-4337-8B9A-565A1031D505.jpeg

65531486-26E7-4389-BEC3-AE93CDF693DE.jpeg

• Like 4

Nasty bend! Left me in a puddle of sweat, bleeding in multiple places. The last loop took about an hour. 10 feet of 1/4 x 1 1/2” of ornery steel. The steel was turning into a giant spring and fighting back with substantial force. Dangerous bending towards the end. I was trying to get the ends to cross but it kept whipping back. I finally stopped when the steel violently snapped back and slashed my arm. Training like this builds a unique type of strength. #oldetimestrongman #steelscrolling #grapplingtraining

6BB9937F-9118-4EEF-A920-A07F551A27EC.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Nasty bend! Left me in a puddle of sweat, bleeding in multiple places. The last loop took about an hour. 10 feet of 1/4 x 1 1/2” of ornery steel. The steel was turning into a giant spring and fighting back with substantial force. Dangerous bending towards the end. I was trying to get the ends to cross but it kept whipping back. I finally stopped when the steel violently snapped back and slashed my arm. Training like this builds a unique type of strength. #oldetimestrongman #steelscrolling #grapplingtraining

6BB9937F-9118-4EEF-A920-A07F551A27EC.jpeg

You are a modern day old time strongman.

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

You are a modern day old time strongman.

Thanks brother! Lots of fun to be had and strength gains to be made with this type of training.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks brother! Lots of fun to be had and strength gains to be made with this type of training.

Yes there is.

• Like 1

50 x 3/8” spikes bent today. Training for Nails and Ales for ALS 2 charity event and record breaker on July 30. Here is a pic of the spikes:

A556D3FC-2239-4F49-977E-8FA77B7CD6D0.jpeg

• Like 2

Way cool 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool 

Thank you sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Up to bending 75 spikes in training for the ALS charity event. Here is a pic of the spikes:

EAA07FEC-2315-4EFE-BA3D-76E11797051F.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Up to bending 75 spikes in training for the ALS charity event. Here is a pic of the spikes:

EAA07FEC-2315-4EFE-BA3D-76E11797051F.jpeg

Not even what you bend but, but the amount of volume you've conditioned yourself to bend is up there with the most impressive things i've ever seen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Not even what you bend but, but the amount of volume you've conditioned yourself to bend is up there with the most impressive things i've ever seen.

Thanks so much brother! A fun type of bending for sure. Need the mind and body conditioned for it. Have a great day!

• Like 2