SJ's Four-for-February (February 24th, 2018)

anwnate

@Chez unleashed his fresh outta the box IM blockbuster yesterday and that implement is slick as sh**! Anyone been training the blockbuster and manage to season their implement and what kinda numbers people pulling on it? - this comp also got me touching the hub for the first time in over a year and the LBH for the first time since the SJ3 medley - RAISE THE DEAD! Anyone else?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

@Chez unleashed his fresh outta the box IM blockbuster yesterday and that implement is slick as sh**! Anyone been training the blockbuster and manage to season their implement and what kinda numbers people pulling on it? - this comp also got me touching the hub for the first time in over a year and the LBH for the first time since the SJ3 medley - RAISE THE DEAD! Anyone else?

that blockbuster was crazy slick right out the box. very humbling. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

that blockbuster was crazy slick right out the box. very humbling. 

what can you pull on it currently?

1 hour ago, John McCarter said:

what can you pull on it currently?

Not much. I maxed at 64 left. Got 66 and change right. I think I had a little more right. Probably good for 70 right. I think with more time on it and it seasoning I can pull 80+ by the comp 

Edited by Chez

Just now, Chez said:

Not much. I maxed at 64 left. Got 66 and change right. I think I had a little more right. Probably good for 70 right 

Get that block seasoned right and you'll pull 70+ no problem.

5 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

I made sure to ask for it as an early Christmas gift. I will be training it and the hub every pinch season

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I made sure to ask for it as an early Christmas gift. I will be training it and the hub every pinch season

You and everyone have no clue how much I hate the hub at the moment. Every time I have to train it, I have to go to war with that tool.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

I’m getting 80 by the comp! Which means you will still kill me haha 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

I’m getting 80 by the comp! Which means you will still kill me haha 

It's been a good while but I might be able to hit some good numbers.

Hi guys -- After meeting Anton and the guys a couple weeks ago, and on Chez's recommendation, I'd be interested in attending the SJ competition if that's OK with the organizers.  Since I'm a newbie and don't even know what a blockbuster and hub are, and only tried pinch for the first time this month, I'm not gonna edge anyone out of their planned victories.  But I think grip training is fun and healthy and the people I've met are enthusiastic and friendly.  You can put me as a maybe, only because I just found out about it, but I'm pretty sure I will switch to definite soon enough.  In the meantime, I'll figure out what the blockbuster and hub are, and see if I can up my gripper and pinch performances a little for the occasion.

Vinnie

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Hi guys -- After meeting Anton and the guys a couple weeks ago, and on Chez's recommendation, I'd be interested in attending the SJ competition if that's OK with the organizers.  Since I'm a newbie and don't even know what a blockbuster and hub are, and only tried pinch for the first time this month, I'm not gonna edge anyone out of their planned victories.  But I think grip training is fun and healthy and the people I've met are enthusiastic and friendly.  You can put me as a maybe, only because I just found out about it, but I'm pretty sure I will switch to definite soon enough.  In the meantime, I'll figure out what the blockbuster and hub are, and see if I can up my gripper and pinch performances a little for the occasion.

Vinnie

It's always fun having newcomers to grip contest. You'll learn a lot and improve any weak areas from those who've been there.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Vinnie

Glad to hear it! We'll get you trying the hub and blockbuster this saturday if you're still free to train

• Like 1

Just now, Anton.Torrella said:

Glad to hear it! We'll get you trying the hub and blockbuster this saturday if you're still free to train

Yes, I still plan to come, thanks, and I will bring wine this time if Chez is coming (since you said to go with beer when he wasn't).  I just looked up the hub and block on the Ironmind site, and both look fun.  Where has grip been all my life?  Wish I had discovered all this 20 years ago, but at least I did now.  See you then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Vinnie

lots of people are worried about doing their first comp since they think they don't have enough experience and their numbers will be low. Its not like that though. Its a very relaxed environment and everyone will encourage you and give you advice. Its really the best place to learn. I jumped right into the fire for my first comp also with only a couple months training and with make shift equipment since I didn't have access to the real equipment back then. I drove to ohio for it and didn't know a single person there. Grip people are awesome. You will have a blast. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yes, I still plan to come, thanks, and I will bring wine this time if Chez is coming (since you said to go with beer when he wasn't).  I just looked up the hub and block on the Ironmind site, and both look fun.  Where has grip been all my life?  Wish I had discovered all this 20 years ago, but at least I did now.  See you then.

Awesome - haha I totally know what you're saying - I wish I knew about training like this since high school, but atleast I know it now - see you saturday!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

lots of people are worried about doing their first comp since they think they don't have enough experience and their numbers will be low. Its not like that though. Its a very relaxed environment and everyone will encourage you and give you advice. Its really the best place to learn. I jumped right into the fire for my first comp also with only a couple months training and with make shift equipment since I didn't have access to the real equipment back then. I drove to ohio for it and didn't know a single person there. Grip people are awesome. You will have a blast. 

I'm not too worried about the contest, because apparently I am better at some of this stuff than I would have thought, so I expect that I will be pleased with my own performance even if I finish last compared to others.  And I can already tell that grip people are awesome - it seems clear just from this board alone, but meeting the Saturday Astoria crowd confirms it.  So was Anton right -- wine before beer?

• Like 1

Just now, Anton.Torrella said:

Awesome - haha I totally know what you're saying - I wish I knew about training like this since high school, but atleast I know it now - see you saturday!

True, high school would have been even better, but for me that was the mid-1980s and I'm not sure half this stuff even existed then ...

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm not too worried about the contest, because apparently I am better at some of this stuff than I would have thought, so I expect that I will be pleased with my own performance even if I finish last compared to others.  And I can already tell that grip people are awesome - it seems clear just from this board alone, but meeting the Saturday Astoria crowd confirms it.  So was Anton right -- wine before beer?

haha, I don't know if they told you but I have celiac disease. I'm allergic to wheat gluten so I can't drink regular beer. I drink mostly wine and gluten free beer (I have only had 2 good gluten free beers so wine in the best bet).

• Sad 1

Just now, Chez said:

haha, I don't know if they told you but I have celiac disease. I'm allergic to wheat gluten so I can't drink regular beer. I drink mostly wine and gluten free beer (I have only had 2 good gluten free beers so wine in the best bet).

Then I intend to bring Apothic Inferno, unless it has gluten.  Bourbon barrel red blend.  Mmmmmm.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Then I intend to bring Apothic Inferno, unless it has gluten.  Bourbon barrel red blend.  Mmmmmm.

All wine is gluten free. my favorites or sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

All wine is gluten free. my favorites or sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio

I could be into some white wine for a daytime quaff, sure.  I'll see what I've got or pick up some Oyster Bay, since I know they make a decent sauv blanc.  My wife thinks sauv blanc is too grassy so we hardly ever have it at home, but I like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I'll see what I've got or pick up some Oyster Bay, since I know they make a decent sauv blanc.

I like you already :D. I just told the fellas I will be there Saturday. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Get two lawyers together for grip training and first thing you know they're bustin out their sauvignon blancs - I love it! - Apothics always a solid red too - I didn't know they had an Inferno bourbon barrel aged but it sounds great - I liked their dark blend too and their white was good but I thought their crush blend was too sweet - You drink well my friend!

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Reminds me of King Kong 2014, I was so freaking nervous, screwed with my head and messed up my performance.