Round 2 with the 3 cert was a no go...

Josh O'Dell

I once again came within a hair of my 3cert, 7 tries all close as possible some i almost passed out. Physically i was prepared but mentally not so much. So for now im going after the MM3. Then i will go back to the 3.

• Like 8

I can't believe this the way you have been smashing that must have been a monster #3. What level was your CCS before sending in for cert? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Durrs said:

I can't believe this the way you have been smashing that must have been a monster #3. What level was your CCS before sending in for cert? 

151rgc 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear dude. I'm with you on this. After SJ4 I am going grippers alone again and I want a second attempt also in a not too big time span. The cert stays difficult. Seeing what you could do before the cert in your vids, you were definitely ready for a honest attempt. Keep at it. Though it's perhaps not the cleanest cert to persue in terms of variability in grippers, but this cert has our names on it. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3

Use this as motivation to get even stronger! I know your name will be on that list, keep at it. I look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, i will never give up! Here is a picture of one of my attempts. I warn you it is sickening how close i was..

20170625_235331.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh O'Dell said:

151rgc 

It seems you need something around 160 rgc to be sure.

• Like 3

Damn ! I just knew you'd get it. Oh well. Next time it you'll nail it.

• Like 1

You will get it next time Josh. I think taking time away from CCS and going after the MM3 is a good idea. Once your MMS is that high, CCSing a COC 3 will be automatic no matter what you get cert day. I'm still curious how tough the one you got was. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

You will get it next time Josh. I think taking time away from CCS and going after the MM3 is a good idea. Once your MMS is that high, CCSing a COC 3 will be automatic no matter what you get cert day. I'm still curious how tough the one you got was. 

I agree and if i had to guess i would say atleast a few pounds harder than my 151 3#. Also the spread is a tad wider than my failed cert gripper.

I think Jedd was saying the CoC's have been coming in at higher RGC's 155~160# lately.  

Sorry to hear you were so close but no cigar.  Keep training, you'll get it!

• Like 1

Plus, most grippers get their rating after being closed a few times first. The initial few squeezes seem to be the hardest before the grpper drops to it's 'permanent' (relative of course) RGC. I don't know if IM tests all of their grippers, closing it once with a machine or so? In that case my first statement would be invalid, but that's the current opinion as I heard from the experienced gripperraters. Anyway, it's a Russian roulette. I seen guys certing pretty easy and they weren't as strong as for instance Vano from Russia, who struggled with his cert but who whas practically CCS-ing 3's with his hands on his back in training. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear that man. Just use it as some motivation and keep chuggin!

• Like 1

Good luck staying focused and getting that mm3!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bwwm said:

I think Jedd was saying the CoC's have been coming in at higher RGC's 155~160# lately.  

Sorry to hear you were so close but no cigar.  Keep training, you'll get it!

I believe it, it was stout for sure.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I agree here. In fact, this was my exact thoughts as i honed in on the #3 cert. didnt do much ccs at all leading up to the #3 cert. if i recall correctly, id have to check the dates, i think i did the MM3 before i did the #3 cert.

if you are planning a CCS cert, figure for your MMS to be "roughly" 20lbs stronger than your CCS. As far as i know, thats a fairly accurate average spread for dedicated gripper guys. 

I do admit its not a very scientific approach, but it seems to hold somewhat true across the board.

You will get it. Most definitely. So not to lose motivation, i agree to move on to MMS training for a period. As a result your CCS closes will get stronger as well. 

My advice is to aim for a consistent 180lb MMS close, and you will be a shoe-in for the #3 cert.

Thanks bro!

Great job man and great attitude!!! :rock You were very close!

You can go for the MMG3 now but if I am not mistaken Aaron (@acorn correct me if I am wrong) closed a #4 and then did #3 cert and failed. Because of the wide set hurts his hands or he wasn't trained for wide set? Anyway since you are this close and will train for a bigger MMS then it will be NP for you. Go with everyone's advice here but don't completely neglect your wide set. For sure the third time you will get it :rock 

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1