The effectiveness of fatgripz

Jared Goguen

I've seen more conversations lately about Fatgripz and it got me to thinking about them some and here are a few questions I have.

If your training with them how exactly are you using them?

How are you suppose to measure progress with them since they are rubber, have a stamped texture, and depending on what you put them on they might be thicker or thinner?

If you do believe in there effectiveness then what are others missing?

One of the reason's I ask these questions is because I have been digging around in the training logs and rarely do I see them mentioned but at the same time on Facebook and else where I see there effectiveness at building grip strength being promoted.

I use the extreme version for dumbbell cleans in my routine now. I have not done it for a long time so I can't tell how effective it is but I do feel stronger when gripping smaller handles now (smaller being 50-60 mm).

My theory to why they are not mentioned that much over here is that most people on this board are very into grip training and usually have a lot of gear (real iron). Fatgripz are mostly used by people who want to get into grip training, they see an add somewhere or read on a forum (not this one) and people recommend them for grip training. They are cheap and they try it.

If you're trying to lift the inch or something like that there's really no reason to use anything other than real inches or inch trainers. Most people over here own gear like that, so they don't have to use rubber handles if they don't want to.

• Like 1

For me personally what I like them for is putting them on solid dumbbells where the handle is fixed so you then essentially have an inch dumbbell or a thicker handled inch dumbbell if you use the extremes. For me this means I have between 2kg and 75kg dumbbells in mostly 2kg increments with either 2.5" or 3.25" handles that spin just like a real inch. 

• Like 2

I sold mine a while back (regulars and extremes). I prefer working with my crushers (2.5" and 2"). I even attach my crushers on cables machine for rows and lat pull downs. If I was going to use adapters I would have chosen Manus grips since they no texture so they are a better design. 

• Like 4

I've had mine (both kinds) for a year and change now. They definitely give a killer burn. I like them for deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, bent over barbell rows, and pulldowns. I used them for bench too to help alleviate some wrist pain i was getting. Most standard bars or handles are approximately the same size so I don't think it makes too much difference with slightly different widths, especially if you alternate with both versions. I know everyone is different with base strength but I was using them for maybe like 5 months before I finally ordered a 2.5" crusher. I was able to pull 171# on my first full effort go and I personally believe the fat gripz training helped me get it to a degree. Other than heavy deadlift singles, I do a lot of volume. Usually burnout sets at the end of my workouts. I think the bent over rows are my favorite exercise with fat gripz. I started with the blues and got the extremes a few months later. Once I got them, I pretty much only used the extremes from then on. May not be able to move as much weight but the burn is amazing. While the texture and feel is different from rolling handles and inch trainers, I believe that they still will help build open hand strength.

I did not have an axle when I was training for living legends last summer.  I trained for the axle dl by doing fatgripz dl.  I think it worked great.  A great tool that is inexpensive.  I use them now on my pull-up bar and do thumbless hangs.

I use them for anything pulling (deadlift, pullups).  I don't have an axle, so the blue pair was to simulate an axle. Most would even say it is more difficult than a regular axle.  I maybe pulled a difficult 320lbs with fatgripz.  I pulled an extremely easy 350lbs axle deadlift at Nationals.  I didn't have a 3in revolving handle to train on for the medley, so I would do 1-arm hangs with the the red extreme fatgripz and it carried over to the 3in Trilobite handle for an easy 135lb pull.

• Like 1

This is an excellent thread. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Edited by Hubgeezer

I use 3" handles for just about everything now, curls, press, deadlift, lats, raises, everything. 

I did 50 pullups on Mon/Tues/Thurs of this week using a neutral grip and 3" handles and I have soreness like I've never had before. 

• Like 1

I have both the manus grip and fat grip but use only the manus grips. I like the feel of them more. I personally really have been liking them a lot for any type of row movement. I feel they are worth the investment especially for how cheap they are. If I had an axle though I would probably use them less. 

Great thread I have learned some new ways to use them in my training.

• Like 1