Chris Rice Tips Tester vs. Barrel Strength Tips Tester MKII

bencrush

As I mentioned in another topic in the Equipment subforum, I have recently purchased a Chris Rice Tips Tester.  I am really enjoying it and have become interested in what the differences in poundage lifted are between it and the Barrel Strength Tips Tester MKII. 

Chris mentioned that he had never done a head-to-head test between the two.  I'm curious about how close the two are in feel.  I know the MKII is aluminum.  The TT is steel and textured paint.  I see that the MKII is secured to a loading pin setup.  Does that allow more weight to be lifted compared to the TT - which is (as far as I can tell) almost impossible to tilt and gain any advantage that way.  I wouldn't have the wrist strength reserve to get any assistance out of tilting the MKII anyway, but I would like to know if it's at least possible in theory. 

I think that the MKII will be featured in more contests over the next year and beyond.  So I am laying the groundwork for when I eventually make the purchase of an MKII for devoted contest training on it.  But until then, I'd like to know how close my numbers might be to the contest version I'm likely to find. 

Anyone here have both a Chris Rice Tips Tester AND the BS MKII? 

I am only doing one hand work with mine for now because my left forearm is still recovering from an injury I got last summer.  Anything that involves pinch (that's what the TT feels like to me) is super hard on it.  But I do look forward to training the 2-hand version. 

I get the feeling that getting stronger on the TT is going to have great carryover to getting stronger on a lot of pinch-related events. 

• Like 1

Ben, I have tried both (1-handed) and would guess I can only do about 55% on the BS aluminum TT (MKII) than I can on Chris Rice's cast iron tips tester. Why?:

1. There is a noticeable difference between the two ergonomically. The MKII seems to be forcing all the load near the end of my fingers and the angle is awkward for me or perhaps a better description would be that it forces a more uniform hand position (less/no tilt?); as a result, I have not tried a max lift on it. On Chris Rice's tips tester I feel like I can use a little bit of my open hand or thickbar strength to assist my fingers-it is closer to David Horne's Adjustable Thick Bar in feel.

2. My skin seems to resist any kind of bonding with aluminum-on pinch the difference is stunning as I can lift more by squeezing less it seems. This may be a skin moisture or skin type issue.

If I owned a MKII, I would use it like a rim lift/stirrup and leave some in the tank while doing reps or holds. I would avoid singles as it feels similarly risky to the aforementioned lifts for my pulley tendons and also awkward for some unknown reason.On Chris Rice's tips tester I do not feel any need to hold back re: max efforts.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, odin said:

Ben, I have tried both (1-handed) and would guess I can only do about 55% on the BS aluminum TT (MKII) than I can on Chris Rice's cast iron tips tester. Why?:

1. There is a noticeable difference between the two ergonomically. The MKII seems to be forcing all the load near the end of my fingers and the angle is awkward for me or perhaps a better description would be that it forces a more uniform hand position (less/no tilt?); as a result, I have not tried a max lift on it. On Chris Rice's tips tester I feel like I can use a little bit of my open hand or thickbar strength to assist my fingers-it is closer to David Horne's Adjustable Thick Bar in feel.

2. My skin seems to resist any kind of bonding with aluminum-on pinch the difference is stunning as I can lift more by squeezing less it seems. This may be a skin moisture or skin type issue.

If I owned a MKII, I would use it like a rim lift/stirrup and leave some in the tank while doing reps or holds. I would avoid singles as it feels similarly risky to the aforementioned lifts for my pulley tendons and also awkward for some unknown reason.On Chris Rice's tips tester I do not feel any need to hold back re: max efforts.

I would like to interject and call BS on your point about your skin and aluminum. If I remember correctly, you just pulled 101.2lbs one handed on The Flask 😉. If you don't like the skin, then let me have it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I would like to interject and call BS on your point about your skin and aluminum. If I remember correctly, you just pulled 101.2lbs one handed on The Flask 😉. If you don't like the skin, then let me have it.

I am an organ donor, btw, so...

• Like 1

I have used both obviously - I don't even remember what year I came up with the idea.  But I have not used them back to back to actually try and analyze the differences.  Mine can obviously be tilted more if gripped off center on one hand lifts as Ben states - not sure what difference that gives.   I hope others will take on this little experiment - I think it might allow both Gil and I to learn something about design and methodology to perhaps make better equipment in the future that can target different aspects of strength.  I like the fact that Gil's design is commercially available and I appreciate the way Gil approached me and asked my blessing to start producing them - I really do think it provides a fairer "grip" test over the Axle while helping with the hand size issues with fat bar lifts in general and the back strength issue also with the higher starting position.  The name I feel is pretty appropriate too.  It would be interesting to try a TT designed like mine but in Aluminum and see what happens.

The Textured paint I use does provide a better surface than the aluminum - more like a seasoned steel surface.  I don't "feel" secure on the aluminum but I never slip off the surface on Gil's Tips Tester - my fingers just can't lift any more.  On the Flask however I need to experiment with skin moisture / chalk combinations etc as I cannot "lock down" on it quite the way I can on my Euro Pinch.  Like any of the friction lifts a little experimenting is necessary for ones best personal performance on any lift.  At some point I want to try super clean on it and my hands.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2