Jump to content

GD Iron Grip 90 Adjustable RGC Ratings


Squeezus
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, I decided to rate @MCrushetta's GD Iron Grip 90 last night and threw it on to my special RGC I built for rating adjustable grippers. I figured it would be some good data to share with y'all. Here's what I came up with:

Gripper Level RGC
GD Iron Grip 90 1 - (55lbs) 49
GD Iron Grip 90 2 - (84lbs) 69
GD Iron Grip 90 3 - (112lbs) 93
GD Iron Grip 90 4 - (141lbs) 118
GD Iron Grip 90 5 - (170lbs) 148
GD Iron Grip 90 6 - (198lbs) 176
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, rjackson said:

So my COC Trainer that is suppose to be 100 lbs is most likely ...?  Can you guess or give a range?

The best place to find the average rating of a specific model of gripper is to go to Cannon Powerworks and look it up. If you go to the IronMind Captains of Crush product page, you'll find that the average rating for a Trainer is 55lbs. You can also go to www.gripratings.com to find ratings data on grippers and steel.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What setting have you closed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

special RGC I built for rating adjustable grippe

Is this a  proprietary device or would you share more about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yan_Wei said:

What setting have you closed?

I have done a slightly wider than MMS close on the highest setting and I am about 1/16" away from TNSing it at that level. I will submit the video when I do it in a few weeks so that I can get the laser engraved award.

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

Is this a  proprietary device or would you share more about it?

It's pretty simple, it's like a regular RGC, but I built it with more clearance on the back end so that you can put adjustable grippers in it. It needs a little refining to be honest, but it does a decent job and is consistent with my regular RGC.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:
3 hours ago, Yan_Wei said:

What setting have you closed?

I have done a slightly wider than MMS close on the highest setting and I am about 1/16" away from TNSing it at that level. I will submit the video when I do it in a few weeks so that I can get the laser engraved award.

Cool, I just recently got the 80 model (since I'm not at the level of closing a CoC 3.5 yet) and am also planning on submitting a tns/ns close at the highest setting for the laser engraved gripper (since the contest applies for both 80/90 models). I'm very close to no set closing the 80 kg setting as I'm like 3~5mm away from doing so. Time to get this done!

Edited by Yan_Wei
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the GD Iron Grip the one that doesn't even close (the handles don't touch?) all the way?  Seems like I read that somewhere before. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bencrush said:

Isn't the GD Iron Grip the one that doesn't even close (the handles don't touch?) all the way?  Seems like I read that somewhere before. 

Yeah, the handles do not close completely, there is a <10mm gap when the gripper is closed.

0430000000192.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Yeah, the handles do not close completely, there is a <10mm gap when the gripper is closed.

0430000000192.jpg

Thanks, Gil!  I am not trying to be a jerk, but when does the company consider the gripper "closed?"  Maybe when the two black parts under the spring touch together?  Still seems to be a good idea though in terms of ease of adjustability.  That big of a gap between the handles at the end of the range of motion would turn me off of buying one though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Squeezus said:

So, I decided to rate @MCrushetta's GD Iron Grip 90 last night and threw it on to my special RGC I built for rating adjustable grippers. I figured it would be some good data to share with y'all. Here's what I came up with:

Gripper Level RGC
GD Iron Grip 90 1 - (55lbs) 49
GD Iron Grip 90 2 - (84lbs) 69
GD Iron Grip 90 3 - (112lbs) 93
GD Iron Grip 90 4 - (141lbs) 118
GD Iron Grip 90 5 - (170lbs) 148
GD Iron Grip 90 6 - (198lbs) 176

Thanks Gil.

Guys...this is the type of work that benefits us all...much like Aaron's sites and those who help out with data entry.  

The more of us who take it upon ourselves to do a "little extra", the stronger gripsport will become.

BTW...I encourage those who post these things to talk to a mod. to make sure this kind of data will get filed in an easily accessible place and not get buried in the silt. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Thanks, Gil!  I am not trying to be a jerk, but when does the company consider the gripper "closed?"  Maybe when the two black parts under the spring touch together?  Still seems to be a good idea though in terms of ease of adjustability.  That big of a gap between the handles at the end of the range of motion would turn me off of buying one though. 

Yeah, it would have been a better design, I think, to have the handles touch, but the "closed" position on these is when those black parts are touching. the fact that they are black also makes it hard to tell if they are closed. I am thinking about painting mine white.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Off topic but a good enough place as any I guess, has anyone tried filing those stops at the top, to allow the handles to touch?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 1/18/2017 at 7:02 PM, wobbler said:

Off topic but a good enough place as any I guess, has anyone tried filing those stops at the top, to allow the handles to touch?

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering the exact same thing. On first glance that seems to be a very simple solution to the handles not touching problem.

So has anybody tried this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got one and did it, closes fully except the hardest setting, then the spring coil binds. The 2nd hardest setting was too close to call, may or may not close fully but definitely goes to 1mm or less.

Edit: that is without extended handles. With them, I think it would close but haven't tried.

 

Edited by wobbler
Ext handles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 1/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Squeezus said:

So, I decided to rate @MCrushetta's GD Iron Grip 90 last night and threw it on to my special RGC I built for rating adjustable grippers. I figured it would be some good data to share with y'all. Here's what I came up with:

Gripper Level RGC
GD Iron Grip 90 1 - (55lbs) 49
GD Iron Grip 90 2 - (84lbs) 69
GD Iron Grip 90 3 - (112lbs) 93
GD Iron Grip 90 4 - (141lbs) 118
GD Iron Grip 90 5 - (170lbs) 148
GD Iron Grip 90 6 - (198lbs) 176

Cool. RGC at level6 has hit as high as 82-90kg. 

Does anyone know what the newer gd90s are averaging at level 5 and 6. I purchased mine in late 2020 to early 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The GD90 is a good grip tool

it is what it is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a good tool to fill in the gaps.

it is well made and fun to used, 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knurling is sharp sharp, and more linear resistance than a torsion spring, is good for negatives or holds. Can't beat it for a travel gripper, I have one stashed at my parent's house.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish i'd gotten the examples you guys have been getting, My knurling is borderline smooth and its set up in a way that i can't get it redone by a machine shop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have set screws in your handles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, ShelluvstheMostHigh said:

Cool. RGC at level6 has hit as high as 82-90kg. 

Does anyone know what the newer gd90s are averaging at level 5 and 6. I purchased mine in late 2020 to early 2021.

I don't think any GD 90 hit actually 90kg on the RGC scale. But certainly closer to the RGC ratings than most brands. 

I don't know about the early 2021 version, but I have the 2022 one, and I think it's much lighter than the ratings of @Squeezus from 2017. 

On 5/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I wish i'd gotten the examples you guys have been getting, My knurling is borderline smooth and its set up in a way that i can't get it redone by a machine shop

You mentioned this before, and although I wouldn't say the knurling is sharp on mine, it's certainly not close to smooth. Mine is similar to the knurling on a modern CoC. Not a nice Standard or a GHP, but not terrible. They must have improved the knurling on the 80 and 90 over the years. Edit: Do you have the one with five rings on the top of the handle? That certainly looks much smoother than the newer versions. 

Btw I don't own one, but the GD 70 is completely smooth, like one of those smooth handle Tetting grippers.

Edited by matek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My biggest (and only) issue with this gripper was that the handles don't touch. I don't know why I didn't do this before, but today I filed down the stops, and the gripper fully closes.

According to older post, previous versions of the gripper didn't allow the handles to touch at the hardest setting (level 6) even when the stops are filed down, basically because the spring coil bound. Fortunately, that's not the case with mine (2022 version)! Here is a picture with the handles touching at level 6 (I'm not going to warm up to do an assisted close sorry, so I just closed it between my thighs 😄).

gd90f_1.jpg

gd90f_2.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, matek said:

My biggest (and only) issue with this gripper was that the handles don't touch. I don't know why I didn't do this before, but today I filed down the stops, and the gripper fully closes.

According to older post, previous versions of the gripper didn't allow the handles to touch at the hardest setting (level 6) even when the stops are filed down, basically because the spring coil bound. Fortunately, that's not the case with mine (2022 version)! Here is a picture with the handles touching at level 6 (I'm not going to warm up to do an assisted close sorry, so I just closed it between my thighs 😄).

gd90f_1.jpg

gd90f_2.JPG

A good day to you brother and very nice   Mattek.

 

Wow! :) Looks like GD company finally listened to us grip fanatics on suggestions to for their Irongrip models Mattek and updated the new line- lol. I know the 2020-2021 GD 90s level 6 RGC were hitting 80-88kg or more with the points. So perhaps the new ones will deep 84-88kg or even better if they can actually touch now. I think my level 6 is definitely hitting an RGC of 170-173 or better. Feels almost as strong as my  GHP8 which is rated RGC 179 from CPW :). I hope we see more RGC tests of GD90s with the new design and see if any hit 88-90kg or more. Gripmania tested a 2020 GD90 and even without the handles touching and with the points that one at  level 6 hit  RGC# 81kg(178lbs). His RGC Videos are on youtube all. So hopefully that means most of the ones that were made during the 2018-2020 years were coming in at  a Lvl 6 range of 77-85kg RGC. And thats definitely some serious strength right there to train with or close. 

Edited by ShelluvstheMostHigh
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 1:36 AM, wobbler said:

Knurling is sharp sharp, and more linear resistance than a torsion spring, is good for negatives or holds. Can't beat it for a travel gripper, I have one stashed at my parent's house.

Love it for that. Yep you can warm up and still train your strength even to elite levels on the fly. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.